Texas Hunting Forum

Dead Critters

Posted By: gary roberson

Dead Critters - 02/18/21 07:35 PM

Blackbucks and Axis are dying from the extremely cold weather that we have experienced over the last week. I heard reports of a friend's ranch west of Menard that claims they can see 42 dead axis from the ranch headquarters. I just drug one from under a feeder on my little river place and found another one about 150 yards from this one.
Not supposed to be above freezing but after a low of 10 degrees, expecting a high of 49 tomorrow which will feel like the tropics.
Prayers for all the livestock, wildlife and folks looking out for them.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Dead Critters - 02/18/21 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
Blackbucks and Axis are dying from the extremely cold weather that we have experienced over the last week. I heard reports of a friend's ranch west of Menard that claims they can see 42 dead axis from the ranch headquarters. I just drug one from under a feeder on my little river place and found another one about 150 yards from this one.
Not supposed to be above freezing but after a low of 10 degrees, expecting a high of 49 tomorrow which will feel like the tropics.
Prayers for all the livestock, wildlife and folks looking out for them.
Adios,
Gary

I go by three different ranches that have Black Buck, haven't seen a one in days, I usually see 50-60. I hope they're huddled up back in the Cedars but I'm not getting my hopes up too high. Haven't seen anything but Whitetails, Javalina and Coyotes since this started. Not sure how the Aoudad are doing but since they seem to do well up around Amarillo I'm hoping they do as well here.
Posted By: rex47

Re: Dead Critters - 02/18/21 08:45 PM

there will lots of dead to near dead small critters,
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dead Critters - 02/18/21 09:17 PM

A friend said he had 5 axis in his old barn, he said he found the door opened, and they were cleaning him out of feed stock.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Dead Critters - 02/18/21 10:34 PM

saw a lady from around Lake LBJ state on her Facebook page that she had a dead axis in her front yard ... and was looking for someone to remove it.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Dead Critters - 02/18/21 11:20 PM

I wish I lived closer to these folks with Axis frozen to death, I would gladly remove for them and fill my freezers.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Dead Critters - 02/18/21 11:32 PM

The Baker in Rocksprings got hit hard...really hard
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dead Critters - 02/19/21 02:10 AM

I saw a picture of a truck full of dead black buck, supposedly from near Tyler.
Heard of frozen Water Buffalos around Hamilton.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Dead Critters - 02/19/21 03:49 PM

There was a thread somewhere on here yesterday that had a picture of a couple dozen dead/frozen Axis. I asked if any of the meat could be donated. Anybody know the answer.

Maybe if not for shelters or food banks for people maybe to a zoo for the big predators.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Dead Critters - 02/19/21 03:52 PM

I’ve been hearing about lots of exotics lost across the state.
It’s a shame for all that meat to go to waste
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Dead Critters - 02/20/21 01:38 AM

Someone on the another forum posted a photo of a dead Nilgai. Apparently died from the freeze.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Dead Critters - 02/20/21 01:20 PM

I seen several Blackbuck yesterday, obviously a few of them survived.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Dead Critters - 02/20/21 02:07 PM

I saw a picture of a flat bed trailer load of dead axis that was being unload onto a pile...must have been 50-60 on that trailer and on the ground. Seen the pic the bed of a pickup witho10 or so dead black buck and one sheep. Saw one pic from the coast of a long stretch of shoreline on the coast that was loaded with dead fish.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Dead Critters - 02/20/21 02:23 PM

They seem fine in Medina their coming to my feeders we got down to 7° their, I think North of I-10 got hit the hardest and out toward Rocksprings/Junction
Posted By: ShadTank

Re: Dead Critters - 02/21/21 01:24 AM

That flat bed was a friend of mine he lost hundreds of axis he lost probably 85% of his herd and who knows how much in post season schedule hunts that have to be canceled probably at least 100 hunts good ol mother nature
Posted By: The Duke

Re: Dead Critters - 02/21/21 02:14 AM

Have several babies on the ground. Didn't loose any of them. Very fortunate.

Re: Dead Critters - 02/21/21 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ShadTank
That flat bed was a friend of mine he lost hundreds of axis he lost probably 85% of his herd and who knows how much in post season schedule hunts that have to be canceled probably at least 100 hunts good ol mother nature

This photo was taken on the ranch I was speaking of earlier. I am guessing that your friend is the outfitter. I was visiting with the ranch owner this morning and they are estimating at least 400 dead axis. This is not a small ranch, 10,000 acres under high fence.
I am finding dead axis in other parts of the county but also seeing a lot of live ones as well.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Dead Critters - 02/22/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
Originally Posted by ShadTank

This photo was taken on the ranch I was speaking of earlier. I am guessing that your friend is the outfitter. I was visiting with the ranch owner this morning and they are estimating at least 400 dead axis. This is not a small ranch, 10,000 acres under high fence.
I am finding dead axis in other parts of the county but also seeing a lot of live ones as well.
Adios,
Gary

Where about are you? I won't be able to get to our place for another week or so.

Re: Dead Critters - 02/22/21 02:31 PM

I am at Menard and the ranch where the photo was taken was in NW Menard County.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Dead Critters - 02/22/21 11:20 PM

Our lease straddles the Menard-Concho line. We do have some decent cover but I'm assuming we lost some Axis. Didn't have a ton of BB but probably have less now.

Re: Dead Critters - 02/23/21 04:55 PM

The death loss is much greater where there were too many animal units for the carrying capacity of the ranch. If you didn't have too many critters (including livestock) you may be okay. As I stated in another post, more critters will be dying as many are in very poor body condition. This is simply Mother Nature's way of controlling the populations...not always pretty.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: don k

Re: Dead Critters - 02/23/21 05:21 PM

[Linked Image]
I think I only have 3 BB left.This is the only one I have found. I have only seen 2 males and female. And I am not over stocked. Probably at least 10 died plus 5 Ibex Kids.

Re: Dead Critters - 02/23/21 08:20 PM

Yes, it seems that the blackbuck have the most difficulty dealing with the cold, no matter the range conditions.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: TDH

Re: Dead Critters - 02/23/21 08:49 PM

We lost 9 axis and 5 BB that we have found so far - E TX
Posted By: don k

Re: Dead Critters - 02/24/21 08:23 PM

Drove to Kerrville today. A couple of miles before you get into Kerrville there is a place on the left that is pretty well cleared of cedar and you can see into it from the road. A lot of dead Blackbuck laying around the pasture.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Dead Critters - 02/24/21 11:49 PM

It's a shame so much of that meat was wasted. Seen lots of pics. Animals were fresh dead and frozen, meat still perfectly good. Just dumped into mass graves & wasted. All that money invested. Some of the same folks will bitch about an ethical caliber to kill an animal with because they may not find them in time during the warm months, then they dump loads of them that FROZE TO DEATH with the meat 100% edible..........................
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Dead Critters - 02/26/21 03:39 AM

Well, despite all the horror stories, I’ve got good news to report. Yesterday I went down to our prop on the Sutton/Kimble Cnty line near Roosevelt to assess and get some feed out. I saw more axis yesterday than I’ve seen at any other time. Literally saw 100’s of axis yesterday. They were out feeding all day long and only a few looked run down. Didn’t find a single dead axis on our place nor did I see more than 1-2 along I-10 which normally has roadkill every mile or two.

Didn’t see any blackbuck so I’m guessing they did get hit pretty hard.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Dead Critters - 02/27/21 01:27 AM

Birds are all I have found so far. Despite it having been -3°F one morning here.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Dead Critters - 03/01/21 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by majekman
The Baker in Rocksprings got hit hard...really hard

Extreme cold wreaks havoc in the Hill Country like hurricanes on the Gulf Coast.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Dead Critters - 03/01/21 03:07 AM

My uncle in Adamsville only lost five animals....they were lucky...

They raise axis, blackbuck, mouflan, and red lechwe...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum