Texas Hunting Forum

Wyoming pronghorn

Posted By: fonzie

Wyoming pronghorn - 01/26/21 01:52 AM

So almost to deadline to put in, as always last minute in wanting to put in. Buddy of mine suggested unit 37... anyone ever hunt there? Or know if a good unit with public land?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 01/26/21 02:14 AM

Good luck!
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 01/26/21 02:29 AM

Deadline for antelope is June 1st.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 01/26/21 02:34 AM

Where ever you put in make sure there is public land to hunt. Some units have very little public land. Get you a GPS that has the chip of the area your hunting to show what land is public or private. May save you a big ticket.
Posted By: Daniel Boone

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 01/26/21 02:38 AM

I would suggest going to the Wyoming Fish and Game website and check out their hunt planner. It will tell you how many points you need to draw, success rates, number of tag and amount of public land for each unit in the state. Of all of the western states, it is the most user friendly site. I also use Top Rut which is helpful in picking units. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Daniel Boone

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 01/26/21 03:03 AM

I would suggest going to the Wyoming Fish and Game website and check out their hunt planner. It will tell you how many points you need to draw, success rates, number of tag and amount of public land for each unit in the state. Of all of the western states, it is the most user friendly site. I also use Top Rut which is helpful in picking units. Hope this helps.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 01/26/21 03:15 AM

Yea you’ve still got time as antelope is a late draw. Unless you’re thinking about getting an elk tag too, then end of month is the deadline for that tag
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 01/26/21 03:19 PM

Fonzie I would wait to apply for pronghorn. Season quotas are not set yet and tags could be reduced due to winter kill etc . Your draw odds could changes drastically if tags are reduced, in any area folks.

June is the deadline for pronghorn.

37 does not have tons of public land to hunt and the HMA is a draw for permission slips for rifle hunting.
Taking it you have 0 PP ? I would look over areas near there also that you can draw with 0 PP , unless you might have some PP.
You might email the biologist about numbers of animals and access. Should be Lee Knox, lee.knox@wyo.gov

If you think about a cow elk tag for that area, it is very difficult to fill that tag unless you have private access and that is hard to get in elk area 6.
Posted By: Texanfan

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 02/09/21 01:45 AM

I am kind of in the same boat, I have one PP for Pronghorn and will more than likely put in for a unit I know I wont draw for first choice and hope to get drawn with second or third unit with terrible public land just so I can do a solo hunt and continue to build PP's for future years. Good luck!

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 02/09/21 03:19 PM

Don't forget those doe tags.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 02/09/21 06:18 PM

I'm hoping this is the year I creep up on point creep. If my son hunts with me we will have 7.5 If it is just me I'll have 12. 12 is kind of in no mans land. Not enough for the red desert but too much for many of the others. There are a couple of units out there, though, that I may consider.

If you hunt the west much, Gohunt has most of the information compiled from all the state agencies. They run their probabilities through a boatload of draw scenarios to get their odds. i think they are up to 5000 iterations. It's not predictive but you sill see unit trends along with a synapsis of the unit possibilities and percentage of public land. That percentage can be misleading as you have to check access. I use it for all my western point investments and draws.

This is the pronghorn year. I can feel it. Last year we were a 33% odds. This year we should be somewhere between 100% and 70%.

The AZ elk and pronghorn draw deadline is today so if you want points or try for an AZ draw 1159PM AZ time is the last possible minute. I bought points in AZ as the drought is not yet over.

As Wytex said, wait until the counts come out and permit numbers are set.

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 02/09/21 06:34 PM

jnd59 you should have enough PP for a great hunt but winter is fickle. Kind of ramping up right now with bitter cold and snow.
Almost any area west of say Laramie should be a good area for access and bucks.
Took my 1st buck in the Red Desert, hope you can draw it.
Posted By: Noble Savage

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 02/11/21 02:42 AM

Good thread. I have 3 Antelope and 2 Mule Deer points in Wyoming. I can't go this year but starting to think about 2022.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Wyoming pronghorn - 02/11/21 03:17 AM

I love hunting Pronghorn. Have 4 points in Wyoming, thinking about doing a hunt this fall, but having trouble deciding between WY special pronghorn and Utah Mule Deer (general) because I like the dates for the muzzleloader deer season this year.

My fall will either be:
Utah muzzleloader Deer
NM muzzleloader deer
Colorado 2nd rifle deer
Utah Cow Elk

Or:
Wyoming Pronghorn
NM muzzleloader deer
South Dakota Black Hills whitetails
Utah cow Elk

Need to get up to Kansas and Montana for pretty quick too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum