Texas Hunting Forum

Late Desert Cow Elk

Posted By: Blank

Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 03:10 AM

My wife was afraid the poor grandkids were going to starve, so she had me sally forth to slay the elusive cow elk out on the desert. Ten miles, uphill both ways, snow to my butt, and six foot tall sagebrush. Found them in another zip code, made a great approach and stalk, and they were still a LONG ways out there. The 300 RUM will reach out and do its job, if you let it bark. Had to take a picture, with my DR. Death hat for the boys. Long standing joke, I've been wearing this hat since 1982!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: procraft05

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 03:15 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 03:27 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: kmon1

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 04:55 AM

Congrats, some good eating there.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 04:59 AM

Awesome

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 05:13 AM

I was shocked, as this may be the biggest cow I have ever killed. I know she was bigger than the last two bulls I shot out there. She has been eating in my friends alfalfa all year, and should be wonderful table fare!! I think this is elk # 29 or 30, in 42 years so I've had a pretty good run.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 05:19 AM

grill
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 10:30 AM

cool
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 02:16 PM

Very nice.........I think that is the way I walked to school and back every day.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 02:46 PM

cheers
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 02:48 PM

Congrats on a nice late season harvest. Hope you had help packing her out.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
My wife was afraid the poor grandkids were going to starve, so she had me sally forth to slay the elusive cow elk out on the desert. Ten miles, uphill both ways, snow to my butt, and six foot tall sagebrush. Found them in another zip code, made a great approach and stalk, and they were still a LONG ways out there. The 300 RUM will reach out and do its job, if you let it bark. Had to take a picture, with my DR. Death hat for the boys. Long standing joke, I've been wearing this hat since 1982!!

No need on giving up on a garment just because it`s got a little age on it .

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 03:21 PM

Wasn't as easy as I had hoped, but with plenty of snow and a sled I was able to get her over to a ranch road and my truck in an hour or two. I really thought I'd be skinning and quartering in the snow storm tho. smile

These elk come down and eat all his alfalfa, and he's happy for hunters to take a few and run off the rest. The ranch owner saw me struggling and came over to help - when he saw how big she was, he called his foreman at the shop to get another guy, and come help. The four of us were able to get her loaded whole, but he said he almost sent them for a tractor!! Pays to have friends, AND be the boss.

Tpack: It's funny anymore. My oldest son has decreed that when I die, he gets the hat!!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
Wasn't as easy as I had hoped, but with plenty of snow and a sled I was able to get her over to a ranch road and my truck in an hour or two. I really thought I'd be skinning and quartering in the snow storm tho. smile

These elk come down and eat all his alfalfa, and he's happy for hunters to take a few and run off the rest. The ranch owner saw me struggling and came over to help - when he saw how big she was, he called his foreman at the shop to get another guy, and come help. The four of us were able to get her loaded whole, but he said he almost sent them for a tractor!! Pays to have friends, AND be the boss.

Tpack: It's funny anymore. My oldest son has decreed that when I die, he gets the hat!!

Great story, and congrats!!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 03:42 PM

Good job Blank. Did that death hat go to Africa? Bet the PH loved that bright orange flag on your head. grin

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 03:51 PM

Didn't wear it, but it went along on all five trips! smile
Posted By: Big8

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 07:39 PM

cheers
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/22/21 07:50 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/23/21 02:59 AM

Right on man
Posted By: Ramblin’

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/23/21 04:00 AM

Very nice
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/23/21 04:04 AM

Well done, sir!
Posted By: Western

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/24/21 02:13 AM

Congrats on the meals. I also have a hate from 82 I wore until 2 years ago when the strap in the back finally have out.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 01/24/21 03:52 AM

Very cool!

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 02/07/21 05:16 PM

Just an update. Hog dressed and hanging in the butcher shop, ready for processing, she weighed an impressive 315#. I got back over 200# of finished meat!

Holy crap, now that's a TENDERLOIN. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 02/07/21 05:23 PM

Very nice...
Posted By: majekman

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 02/07/21 06:55 PM

Outstanding...love me some elk food
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Late Desert Cow Elk - 02/09/21 10:39 PM

Looks delicious! By comparison we shot 11 South Texas does a couple weeks ago and ended up with about 220-250 lbs of meat. Very tasty but small deer! I can't wait to try an elk hunt one of these years!
© 2021 Texas Hunting Forum