Texas Hunting Forum

TPWD shuts down processor

Posted By: memarkers

TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 06:40 PM

Yall check out the story on Hooves and Horns Meat Processing in Iowa park. 80+ deer went to the landfill. Some of the deer have been hanging "for months" according to the game wardens. Charges are being filed. Its a terrible waste no matter the reason.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 06:45 PM

I knew that Whitaker's had reached capacity during the season, so I suppose people were looking for alternatives.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 06:52 PM

There's really not much more to the story from what you posted. It's a shame and I'd be pissed if any processor handled my deer meat like this processor. For the record, I'm surprised some processors let field dressed deer pile up outside their doors when temps are not nearly cold enough. A recent processor that I used did this. It was around 60 degrees and 10+ deer were piled up outside with flies hovering all over and a foul stench. Made me question how sanitary the inside of the facility was and how clean their knives and equipment were. I did get my deer back in just 3 days, so at least the turnaround was quick.

For anyone interested, here's the rest of the details on the Iowa Park processor.

Spoiled meat found at Iowa Park processor
Christopher Walker
Wichita Falls Times Record News

A Texas Game Warden seized 80 deer carcasses from an Iowa Park processor.

According to a press release:

Earlier this month the warden conducted a routine compliance inspection at Hooves and Horns Meat processing facility and found spoiled deer meat in the coolers.

During the inspection the warden discovered some of the meat had been in the building for a couple of months.

The warden and a Texas Health and Humans Services inspector inspected the carcasses and determined them unfit for human consumption.

Eighty whitetail deer, 13 lugs of trimmed venison and three 120-quart ice chests of deer quarters were disposed of. The investigation is continuing.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 07:45 PM

Let's see, videos all over youtube on how to process a deer. Meatgrinders may now be on sale... No one will treat your deer as good as you do. You can process a whole deer with just a knife. I have a Shrade "Old Timer" fillet knife, with a six inch blade. That's all I use (for the cutting). I also have a 3/4 hp electric meat grinder, and a vacuum sealer. If you don't already do this, I encourage you to try it. Some of the first deer I cut up looked more like hamburger, when I was done, kind of humorous to look back at that.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brother Phil
Let's see, videos all over youtube on how to process a deer. Meatgrinders may now be on sale... No one will treat your deer as good as you do. You can process a whole deer with just a knife. I have a Shrade "Old Timer" fillet knife, with a six inch blade. That's all I use (for the cutting). I also have a 3/4 hp electric meat grinder, and a vacuum sealer. If you don't already do this, I encourage you to try it. Some of the first deer I cut up looked more like hamburger, when I was done, kind of humorous to look back at that.

I agree. I typically do my own processing. In this instance for this buck, I didn't have time. On my 2020 mule deer and my son's 2020 buck, I deboned all the meat, butchered, and vacuum sealed it. I'm waiting for an open weekend to make sausage and more jerky.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 07:55 PM

We debone everything and freeze in gallon backs and thaw to grind and make sausage or hamburger when it is convenient. You can probably debone bag and freeze it in the time it takes you to drive to the processor and back.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 08:25 PM

Just another reason to roll your own. There is nothing a processor can do that you can’t do yourself, plus I find it enjoyable. I think a lot of people are intimidated by sausage making, it ain’t that hard to do. If you have the will. I understand being busy, but like Red Chevy said...just de-bone/weigh/bag everything up and freeze it until you have some time open. Get all your stuff together, get a few people to help, and get after it. There are lots of books & youtube videos out there to learn with, and plenty of people right here on this forum and a few other sites that are glad to help newbies out too. We all started somewhere. My 2cents
Posted By: Texas452

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
We debone everything and freeze in gallon backs and thaw to grind and make sausage or hamburger when it is convenient. You can probably debone bag and freeze it in the time it takes you to drive to the processor and back.

That’s what we have always done.
Never would dream of taking one to a processor.
We always had our own grinders sausage stuffers,smokehouse ect.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 09:07 PM

Too bad
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/13/21 09:18 PM

Several times in the past I have questioned the amount of meat and the quality that I have gotten back from a processor. Made a decision 10 years ago If I'm gonna harvest I'm gonna process.

I have never looked back and butchering and processing makes the whole thing more rewarding and satisfying.

I'm retired so time has been less of an issue so I understand if you young guys send out but consider the benefits when you have time.
Posted By: kry226

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 12:57 AM

I've got a couple of heads at Whitaker's and had one deer processed there this year, so I had to check when my SIL sent me the story. I actually didn't know there was more than one deer processor in Iowa Park.
Posted By: Espy

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 01:13 AM

Thats sucks hope no THFer lost their deer
Posted By: Ramblin’

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 01:23 AM

Seeing your processor is like seeing your Dr. twice a year.
Better to be honest with each other.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 01:32 AM

It’s funny that people on here were condemning Kuby’s this past November for not taking any more meat until they got caught up. I guess this is what they wanted instead confused2
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 02:19 AM

Price paid for being a lazy hunter. If you pull the trigger be prepared to take it all the way to the table.! Be self sufficient
Posted By: angus1956

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 02:52 AM

Processing for us is also part of the hunt. My dog is also a winner when home processing. I cut and freeze the bones for her throughout the year.
It's taken my wife and I sometimes 3 days to process 2 cow elk, but once done it's rewarding all the way around.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 03:02 AM

Started processing myself last season, watched a video as I was cutting along with it. This season was able to just cut, but I’ll be watching videos for sausage making. Takes time but well worth the effort.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 03:06 AM

Anybody in northeast DFW that wants to do this, but doesn't know how. Hit me up. When you kill your deer next year, I'll come over and show you how to do it. I started out with a knife, cutting board, and hand crank grinder. You don't need to spend a ton to get started. Over the years, you can buy better equipment with the $ you save from processing yourself. All you need is the desire. I'll give you the knowledge.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 03:32 AM

Amazing how folks have turned this into a “if you don’t do your own processing, you’re lazy or lacking or scared or whatever” thread. There’s reason there are game processors. It’s a convenience. Just like barbers, oil change places, yard services, garbage collectors, restaurants, and a million other things. Most people are can do all those things if they want to, they just don’t want to - for any number of reasons. Mostly that they would rather spend the time doing other things.

The real lesson here is choose your processor carefully. Just like your barber or your taxidermist or your whatever else.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by stillhntr
Price paid for being a lazy hunter. If you pull the trigger be prepared to take it all the way to the table.! Be self sufficient

Self-righteous much?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Amazing how folks have turned this into a “if you don’t do your own processing, you’re lazy or lacking or scared or whatever” thread. There’s reason there are game processors. It’s a convenience. Just like barbers, oil change places, yard services, garbage collectors, restaurants, and a million other things. Most people are can do all those things if they want to, they just don’t want to - for any number of reasons. Mostly that they would rather spend the time doing other things.

The real lesson here is choose your processor carefully. Just like your barber or your taxidermist or your whatever else.

I agree
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 04:14 AM

Hooves and Horns just built that shop off 287 this past year. They opened up for business just before rifle deer season. What a waste.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 04:20 AM

What if you’re too busy? I’m far from lazy as I work 2 jobs, have a 1 year old, and I’m always helping people.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 05:12 AM

I don't see this as lazy vs not lazy. It is a choice. For me it is part of the hunting experience, and I enjoy doing it. In the past, I did go to a processor, and have experienced the pros/cons of doing so. My post was intended to encourage someone to try this, if it was new to them. We all have different situations and time constraints, and this is more user friendly for some than others.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 06:38 AM

Talk about letting your inbox get too full.
Posted By: texfork

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Anybody in northeast DFW that wants to do this, but doesn't know how. Hit me up. When you kill your deer next year, I'll come over and show you how to do it. I started out with a knife, cutting board, and hand crank grinder. You don't need to spend a ton to get started. Over the years, you can buy better equipment with the $ you save from processing yourself. All you need is the desire. I'll give you the knowledge.

That's a very nice offer . That is what I like to see , hunter's helping hunter's .

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brother Phil
I don't see this as lazy vs not lazy. It is a choice. For me it is part of the hunting experience, and I enjoy doing it. In the past, I did go to a processor, and have experienced the pros/cons of doing so. My post was intended to encourage someone to try this, if it was new to them. We all have different situations and time constraints, and this is more user friendly for some than others.

Same
Posted By: redchevy

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

To me its the fear of the unknown. I have eaten some really good things that came from processors. I have eaten some bad stuff too. I know it is a crock when they say you get your own deer back. I have personally spoken to people who owned a processing facility that lied to people day in and out even their family and people they knew saying you would get your own deer back and after they retired and sold it admitted it all went into one. I have seen the deer in the beds of truck on 80+ degree days, the ones that the hunter "backed out" and left overnight in Texas LOL barf and the gut shot and poorly gutted. I do not want any part of that.

There is currently a post about a guy who took 4 quarters off a "mature doe" in and is getting 20 lbs of meat back after adding fat jalapenos and cheese and turning it into snack sticks and summer sausage. Someone is lying there, either him or the processor. I cant tell you how many times I've heard that same story. There is not a chance in hell I would take my critters to a processor.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
There's really not much more to the story from what you posted. It's a shame and I'd be pissed if any processor handled my deer meat like this processor. For the record, I'm surprised some processors let field dressed deer pile up outside their doors when temps are not nearly cold enough. A recent processor that I used did this. It was around 60 degrees and 10+ deer were piled up outside with flies hovering all over and a foul stench. Made me question how sanitary the inside of the facility was and how clean their knives and equipment were. I did get my deer back in just 3 days, so at least the turnaround was quick.

For anyone interested, here's the rest of the details on the Iowa Park processor.

Spoiled meat found at Iowa Park processor
Christopher Walker
Wichita Falls Times Record News

A Texas Game Warden seized 80 deer carcasses from an Iowa Park processor.

According to a press release:

Earlier this month the warden conducted a routine compliance inspection at Hooves and Horns Meat processing facility and found spoiled deer meat in the coolers.

During the inspection the warden discovered some of the meat had been in the building for a couple of months.

The warden and a Texas Health and Humans Services inspector inspected the carcasses and determined them unfit for human consumption.

Eighty whitetail deer, 13 lugs of trimmed venison and three 120-quart ice chests of deer quarters were disposed of. The investigation is continuing.

Had to have been one discussing site, how'd they let it get so out of hand. Noting it was a new business. So is the processor libel for the 80+ deer for want&waist to the State of Texas? If so this will be a huge fine$$$
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 03:32 PM

I hope they get hit with the states lovely restitution penalty’s, I’m generally not for that fine unless its a straight up poacher but in this case I think it fits just fine..
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 04:54 PM

The article I saw was from January 2020... but they didnt open until fall 2020.

Notice: I am in no way associated with this outfit and have not used them.

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 05:00 PM

https://m.facebook.com/TexasGameWardens/posts/3844066528985039
Posted By: bp3

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 07:00 PM

Process your own,but first they need to learn how to field dress one. Some can't gut a rabbit.
Posted By: kry226

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/14/21 10:22 PM

I do my own most of the time. But an occasional processing fee enables me to not have to drag a deer in a cooler from Texas to Kentucky (or wherever I happen to live at the time), while allowing my parents-in-law to partake of my kill in Texas. Whether you do your own or drop off at a processor has nothing to do with who you are as human or hunter. To each their own.

I bet if Chuck Adams stated he used a processor, no one would say a word.

rolleyes
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/15/21 12:34 AM

Been cutting and grinding my own game for over 30 years. Never saw any reason to pay someone to do what I can easily do myself. It isn't difficult. I have even self processed a couple of bison. I like to know how the meat was handled. Only way to do that is to cut out the middle man. This year I butchered down 4 deer. Piece of cake.
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/15/21 04:51 AM

man, with all the dumb a$$ comments on here you're making a run at first place.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/15/21 01:38 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/15/21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by kry226

I bet if Chuck Adams stated he used a processor, no one would say a word.

Nah, I'd still think he was kinda lazy.

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/15/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05
[Linked Image]

Dang, its happening all over.

Makes me think I should start processing deer next year.....
Posted By: hawghunter08

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/15/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted by procraft05
[Linked Image]

Dang, its happening all over.

Makes me think I should start processing deer next year.....

[Linked Image]
Here is all the charges from Backyard Taxidermy and processing in Decatur
Posted By: J.G.

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/16/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by huntingbig8

Right.

There ARE honest processors. And the one I use is only 10 minutes out of the way of my normal route to and from home. Some of us work 8 days a week, and choose to delegate out some tasks to others. I figure it is better for me to do that, and take care of my customers for my business.

Got back from a 4 day doe hunt last Thursday at 2:30 pm. Barely got the truck unloaded and went right back to work on the project I had been working on the previous Sunday. And worked until dark.

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/16/21 03:00 AM

To be clear. My comments weren't intended to talk down to or criticize anyone for using a processor, I've used a bunch.

I guess you can compare loading your own ammo vs processing your own meat. You get better results by doing either, but nothing against those who don't LOL.

Do your thing....
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/16/21 01:06 PM

Lots of very good processors. Fortunate here as many years ago some square heads gave this 3/4 Deutsch auslander the opportunity to utilize their skills, equipment & recipe. I fully realize what goes into my body. I know how the meat is acquired, cleaned, cared for and turned into a food product.

Completing the circle takes time, is better with help, enjoyable, fulfilling and well worth the effort.
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/17/21 07:51 PM

I guess I should have put it more diplomatically, I didnt think about hurt feelings so apologies to those affected. What I should have said was you spend X amount of time and money to get to the point of taking a deer. Why not take a little more time to learn to process ? Not that hard or that time consuming.

As stated. By Hudbone then you know exactly what your getting.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/18/21 03:15 PM

I always use a processor, I work at least 50-60 hours a week at my main job, then my side money gig on top of that.

I don’t mind paying someone to process my deer

I guess I could save money, stop being lazy and learn to be a seamstress but I’d rather just go by a new shirt when I want one....
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: TPWD shuts down processor - 01/18/21 04:05 PM

I guess I should have put it more diplomatically, I didnt think about hurt feelings so apologies to those affected. What I should have said was you spend X amount of time and money to get to the point of taking a deer. Why not take a little more time to learn to process ? Not that hard or that time consuming.

As stated. By Hudbone then you know exactly what your getting.

I think where you missed the boat the first time and are continuing to miss the boat now is in failing to understand that not everybody wants to butcher their own deer/hog/greater kudu/whatever. You are right. We can all learn to do it. Some/most of us know how to do it. It doesn't mean we enjoy doing it or want to spend what limited recreational time we have doing it.

procraft05 indirectly brought up a salient point. For some of us, time is more valuable than money.

Why not spend the time? Don't want to. If you want to spend the time doing it, and even better, if you enjoy doing it, that is terrific - for you. No reason to harsh on people for exercising a viable option that works well for their situation.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum