Texas Hunting Forum

Shoot, Shovel and Shutup

Posted By: fishdfly

Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 04:45 PM

The above comes up on a regular basis here.

Reading on another forum, the subject of dogs on your land came up and most of the replies were almost exact as here.

One response was interesting following a SSS. The comment was what if the dog had a micro chip imbedded in it and it's buried remains were found on your place. Puts a different twist on SSS.

Seems more folks have chips in their dogs.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 04:55 PM

While that's a good point, I find that most pet owners that chip their dogs fall into the responsible pet owner category. Which typically arent the type of dogs that are brought up in those threads.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 05:00 PM

best to have the remains found along some road
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 05:00 PM

Just toss em in the brush.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 05:01 PM

Those chips don't have GPS on them right...so what's the point in they are chipped or not?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 05:02 PM

The end result is a coyote or buzzard that is “chipped”. You are what you eat, as the old saying goes.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 05:03 PM

The main point behind SSS, is the last S.

Dozens of ways to get around anything if you put a tiny bit of thought into it.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler

Guess it is just coincidence that your handle is "Rustler"?
Posted By: don k

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 07:14 PM

Bandera County has a leash law. If you can't take care of your pets then the death is on the owner. And very seldom does the owner want to say it is their pet when there many be restitutions to pay.

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 07:21 PM

Was out welding on some braces and gate posts at my new place the other day. The neighbors across the road stopped in to introduce themselves and mentioned they had 3 labs that ran loose dont shoot them. I had noticed dog tracks all over.

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by chalet

No coincidence, what does a nickname given to me by coworkers about 41 years ago have to do with, well, anything...
Posted By: chalet

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 07:36 PM

No coincidence, what does a nickname given to me by coworkers about 41 years ago have to do with, well, anything...

It was just a joke, nothing more. THF is my daily comic relief.

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 07:40 PM

It was just a joke, nothing more. THF is my daily comic relief.

Alrighty then.

cheers up
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Was out welding on some braces and gate posts at my new place the other day. The neighbors across the road stopped in to introduce themselves and mentioned they had 3 labs that ran loose dont shoot them. I had noticed dog tracks all over.

What'd you say?
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

What'd you say?

he said " all I've noticed are dog tracks "
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 08:33 PM

People can chip their dogs all day long , but they better keep em tied up or fenced in. Dogs chasing our donkey or horses don’t make it. Chip is worthless underground.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly

Reading on another forum, the subject of dogs on your land came up and most of the replies were almost exact as here.

One response was interesting following a SSS. The comment was what if the dog had a micro chip imbedded in it and it's buried remains were found on your place. Puts a different twist on SSS.

Chipped dogs normally aren’t running at large. With that said. Just because someone finds a “chip” trespassing doesn’t make the landowner’s liable for its death
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 08:57 PM

It’s a non-issue. Chips don’t have GPS capabilities.

I have pondered the issue as it relates to GPS collared hog dogs.....

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

It’s already gone to trial. Does the GPS prove it wasnt chasing livestock or attacking people. You even commented on it. In this case I think GPS proved they where chasing livestock(horses) in the pen area
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

It’s already gone to trial. Does the GPS prove it wasnt chasing livestock or attacking people. You even commented on it. In this case I think GPS proved they where chasing livestock(horses) in the pen area

No one can trespass and find a chip unless they know where the dog is already. A chip sends out no signal to find.

As for the GPS collar, what are you trying to argue about? I didn’t say anything other than I’ve pondered the issue. I’m not going to put my conclusions or thoughts on the issue on a public forum. There are reasons for this which should be obvious.

If I’ve done so before, so be it.

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 09:32 PM

No one can trespass and find a chip unless they know where the dog is already. A chip sends out no signal to find.

As for the GPS collar, what are you trying to argue about? I didn’t say anything other than I’ve pondered the issue. I’m not going to put my conclusions or thoughts on the issue on a public forum. There are reasons for this which should be obvious.

If I’ve done so before, so be it.

Stop being defensive. GPS and chip are different I know this. One just gives off electromagnetic signal that can be crossed reference against stored data, GPS gives actual position, speed and tracks.

Do You not remember the coon hunting dogs thread, think it was along red river? It was right after laws where changed. Probably only time we have agreed. GPS proved they where chasing horses.

GPS’d hog dog would mirror it. Basically GPS info could prove or desolve defense in accordance to current live stock laws, same for self defense. Aka better get your story right, GPS is double edged sword

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 09:46 PM

GPS collars quit working when they are busted up.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by don k

laugh
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 10:22 PM

One word fix,,, “Tannerite”. Dogs gone, chips gone, gps tracking devise gone, problem gone.. Yes I know it sounds bad but I promise it works great according to a friend ;), outstanding on pigs to so I hear bolt smile ani

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 10:25 PM

No they quit reporting after not before.... big difference.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/11/21 10:54 PM

🤠
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 12:14 AM

Gotta have a hand scanner to read the chip SSS is still a valid option.
In Texas if dogs are harassing live stock or killing live stock they will be dealt with. Not my words but the State of Texas.
Every issue I've has with live stock has been from a domestic dog. I.e. cattle, hogs, chickens, etc.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 01:08 AM

Good place for a GPS unit is duct taped to a semi truck at a truck stop. The rest, butchered with a chain saw and spread out along the highways and byways.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 02:11 AM

Ummm... aren't you guys really messing up on the third "s"? Lol. All this talk about the shoot and shovel part kinda negates the shutup part. bang
Posted By: Erny

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by fishdfly

A micro chip has to be scanned with a reader. It is designed to be scanned to determine the owner of the dog if it winds up at a pound or vet. It is not a gps tracking device.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 03:12 AM

Yea, the chip to be scanned

It’s not like a gps
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 03:21 AM

Not much of a neighbor or a dog owner if they let them run lose.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 01:02 PM

I won't put up with it.
Had a calf mauled by dogs a few years back and since then it's become pretty much zero tolerance.

You will not find a bigger dog lover than myself or my family but the bottom line is your animals belong on your property, not your neighbor's property!
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
You will not find a bigger dog lover than myself or my family but the bottom line is your animals belong on your property, not your neighbor's property!

That's everything in a nutshell.

Like you, I'm a huge dog lover. I love them so much I would be horrified if they were on someone else's property. Especially knowing what happens to stray dogs causing problems.

More people need to make this a strict practice. Keep your dogs home!
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Those chips don't have GPS on them right...so what's the point in they are chipped or not?

This negates all other points of contention regarding the chip.

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 05:07 PM

You don't bust them up where you live. I may not be too bright but I am not stupid.

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

That's everything in a nutshell.

Like you, I'm a huge dog lover. I love them so much I would be horrified if they were on someone else's property. Especially knowing what happens to stray dogs causing problems.

More people need to make this a strict practice. Keep your dogs home!

Same here. My dog will be in a pen. If she is out it is not on purpose. If something bad happens to her when she is out, thats my fault.

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 06:10 PM

You don't bust them up where you live. I may not be too bright but I am not stupid.

Smart outlaw
cheers
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Good place for a GPS unit is duct taped to a semi truck at a truck stop. The rest, butchered with a chain saw and spread out along the highways and byways.

Chain saw eeks333.....that why they call you dogcather!!! lol
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 07:10 PM

Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/12/21 08:40 PM

Excellent!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/13/21 12:57 AM

The first S in SSS probably should be "shut up" (or silence if you prefer). Too many people make a stink about a dog problem only to let themselves be the first accused when a dog is missing. Handle the problem, don't talk about it. Anyone with a roaming dog already knows the risk.
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/13/21 02:13 AM

Keep them on your own property and they won’t be a problem, irresponsible to let them run loose.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/13/21 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Handle the problem, don't talk about it.

Yessr
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/13/21 09:19 PM

The fact that you buried it does not refute your claim that you felt threatened before shooting. It just shows you cared enough to spare the owner’s feelings. up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/13/21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

What'd you say to them?

popcorn
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/14/21 12:06 AM

Now drones have GPS chips. Soak 'em in a water trough before you bury them. 'Friend on here taught me that. grin bolt

Many years ago, when we first took the beagle up to our place by Fbg., I explained to the kids that if she got loose and started chasing sheep on any neighbor's place, she'd be shot. That's back where there were still a few real square-heads running sheep. The neighbors let me down. laugh
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/14/21 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by stillhntr

Keep them on your own property and they won’t be a problem, irresponsible to let them run loose.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Shoot, Shovel and Shutup - 01/14/21 01:02 AM

We are going fishing tomorrow at a coworkers place. She informed me a pack of dogs have been attacking her cows and killed a calf and chewed the ears off another one. No one is clamming the dogs She wants them gone.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum