Texas Hunting Forum

Your hunting and firearms-related collectables

Posted By: Texas Dan

Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/03/21 11:33 PM

With hunting seasons drawing to a close, our attention turns to other activities that somehow relate to hunting and firearms. While I wouldn't call myself a diehard collector, I do enjoy picking up odds and ends that I might come across in the usual places. I recently found this old can of oil that I later learned was only given to dealers. It has a lead spout and cap and this one has never been opened.

Anyone else enjoy collecting old stuff (other than firearms) related to hunting and the outdoors?

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 12:06 AM

👍👍
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 12:21 AM

Have a tube with box of RIG Rust Inhibiting Grease with a price tag of $.25.

Also have a tin of Stoeger Rust Off. Tin looks like a shoe polish can. Inside is a concoction of stuff like thick shoe polish with some type of pumice in it. You apply it with a cloth and rub rust briskly to remove it. To remove the compound you use kerosene and then re-blue.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 12:38 AM

not hunting related but interesting none the less.

My Dad fought in World War 2. Was stationed overseas and as a kid he showed me this knife. When he passed away I inherited it.

According to him it was used by the Japanese Kamikaze pilots to kill themselves before their plane nose dived and burned into a ship. The cover that goes over the knife is made of silk and has deteriorated over the years. The knife itself has a plain wood sheath - almost looks hand made - it sits in my home office and a historical (but sad) piece of history.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 02:44 AM

I'm still slowly but surely building my taxidermy collection. Goal is to acquire as many different species as I can. This past fall I got a nice coyote I'm having shoulder mounted on a pedestal as a desk piece and I hope to add a few more species this year.

My goal is to have a pretty varied collection of 4 legged game, as well as waterfowl species as they come. Right now I have 16 different species of 4 legged game in my collection.

only other things i collect with any interest is artifacts I find myself but my collection is paltry compared to many others I've seen
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I'm still slowly but surely building my taxidermy collection. Goal is to acquire as many different species as I can. This past fall I got a nice coyote I'm having shoulder mounted on a pedestal as a desk piece and I hope to add a few more species this year.

My goal is to have a pretty varied collection of 4 legged game, as well as waterfowl species as they come. Right now I have 16 different species of 4 legged game in my collection.

only other things i collect with any interest is artifacts I find myself but my collection is paltry compared to many others I've seen

My wife and I collect taxidermy when we can or if we can get it on the ranch. Currently in the ranch house, there are several whitetails, axis, javelina, a badger, couple of bass, and the coolest is a body mount of a mountain lion killed while carrying an axis fawn in it's mouth. The fawn was mounted as well in the mountain lions mouth.

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by copperhead
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

My wife and I collect taxidermy when we can or if we can get it on the ranch. Currently in the ranch house, there are several whitetails, axis, javelina, a badger, couple of bass, and the coolest is a body mount of a mountain lion killed while carrying an axis fawn in it's mouth. The fawn was mounted as well in the mountain lions mouth.

Excellent examples.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 04:07 PM

[Linked Image]

Some old primers I just picked up, I like the price on the Federal box.
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 04:29 PM

I have a pretty good selection of ammo boxes probably 60 or so and a few powder cans and some type of shotshell loader with a hand crank probably for roll crimping. Picked up some on eBay and at gun shows it's used as decoration in the living room and one day if I ever get a dedicated loading room I will display it in there.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 04:31 PM

I have an old Federal Hi Power shot shell box and a old Remington Shur Shot box.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 07:56 PM

Ran across these in my ammo stash the other day...

Ah. The Good Ol' Days!

[Linked Image]

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/04/21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
I have an old Federal Hi Power shot shell box and a old Remington Shur Shot box.

I picked up several wood boxes of Winchester 30-30 ammo when the company offered it a few years back in recognition of their 150th Anniversary. More recently, I picked up a couple of their wood-boxed .22 ammo after noticing it on a store shelf.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/05/21 11:31 AM

Wife says that, as long as she has me, she doesn't need any more old junk.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/05/21 01:38 PM

Have quite a few of old paper shot gun shells of various brands and 3 very old binoculars.
Posted By: Orion

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/05/21 09:32 PM

I have a Taylor fur getter .22lr from a long passed relative who bought it in 1919. Google it for pic.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/06/21 02:44 AM

I use to collect old hunting and gun magazines from the 1950-early 1980's. I had a guy that would always come across large collections of them in garage and estate sales and sell them to me for $1 each. I loved looking at all the ads for new guns, scopes, calibers, trucks, 3 wheelers, and yes they could even advertise smokes back then. LOL
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/06/21 03:08 AM

I love old sporting advertisements, especially sheep and woodcock related.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/07/21 01:30 AM

Duck stamps of my dads along with mine and also a Hunting license from 1969 ( I was born in 68)of my Grand Father whom I really never knew. Passed away when I was real young. This is the first of the stamps, have another one going to keep up with the new ones I get each year.[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Your hunting and firearms-related collectables - 01/08/21 03:01 AM

I have a 5 lb can of Hercules Unique, circa 1950
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum