Texas Hunting Forum

A year of hunting with an airgun

Posted By: cmc

A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 01:26 AM

I got the Umarex Air Saber one year ago and started hunting with it. It shoots an arrow 450 FPS. It’s basically a crossbow bolt without a nock. The arrow slides over a barrel and it’s pushed by air against the insert of the arrow from the inside. It’s devastating on big game. I will carry it to Africa this year and see just how big I can go. The only draw back so far is I have yet to find an arrow I’ve shot through a deer or pig.

Attached picture BBF7E521-22C0-4D6D-A2E3-1A4566EB785F.jpeg
Attached picture 5224A16E-AC70-43A3-A1E3-B6782F015054.jpeg
Attached picture F72ACB10-8E35-497B-80BC-E7AC4BA11356.jpeg
Attached picture 2DC5D717-5E94-4726-80C5-77551DD58039.jpeg
Attached picture A03B6035-04E1-42C2-900A-DFD64F8589EF.jpeg
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 01:34 AM

what is the range on that thing?

very interesting weapon.

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 01:45 AM

It’ll group good at 75 I don’t know that I’d shoot at deer at that distance. There is some noise and they can jump the string at that distance I’d think. I don’t think a pig at 50-60 would be able to jump it. I’ve only shot animals at 40 but there’s plenty power at that distance and I've had no issue with any animal jumping at that distance.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 03:37 AM

Glad that the sport is catching on, and getting legal legs!

Good job!

I used to do quite a bit of hunting with an airgun, myself... people couldn't believe what I was killing with one.

Hogs, coyotes, etc.
Posted By: kry226

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 04:29 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: redhaze

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 12:17 PM

clap
Posted By: snake oil

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 12:47 PM

I didn't think deer hunting was allowed with those, if it's legal I've gotta have one.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
I didn't think deer hunting was allowed with those, if it's legal I've gotta have one.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/air-gun-arrow-gun-regulations
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 01:38 PM

That is pretty cool.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 03:18 PM

cheers
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 03:22 PM

Nice work sir
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 03:47 PM

Wow, less than $700.00 with a hand operated high pressure air pump. That is way less than a top of the line crossbow. I may have to check and see it that will qualify as archery only where I hunt.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 05:47 PM

Very cool.....congrats on the hunts! up

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Wow, less than $700.00 with a hand operated high pressure air pump. That is way less than a top of the line crossbow. I may have to check and see it that will qualify as archery only where I hunt.

Its not considered archery equipment anywhere that I know of and trust me you don’t wanna hand pump it. It will take thousands of strokes and you will hate every minute.
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 06:34 PM

Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing. up
Posted By: Big8

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 07:06 PM

cheers
Posted By: vanguard

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/03/21 09:28 PM

very cool. happy3
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/04/21 01:10 AM

Looks like you have had a pretty good year. Good luck in Africa.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/04/21 01:59 AM

Great year and great pics also cheers
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/05/21 11:34 AM

I hunted Africa a couple of years ago and didn't get anywhere near enough to use either a bow or air gun.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/05/21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cmc

Its not considered archery equipment anywhere that I know of and trust me you don’t wanna hand pump it. It will take thousands of strokes and you will hate every minute.

Thanks for that information. Do you have an electric one or do you use a scuba tank? Good luck on your Africa hunt if you get to go.
Posted By: L. C. Clower

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/05/21 12:57 PM

Questions, you've already mentioned noise, can you give us a comparison?
How about the recoil moment?
I'm just starting to look into PCP rifles, this is new to me.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/05/21 07:01 PM

cool!

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/05/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I hunted Africa a couple of years ago and didn't get anywhere near enough to use either a bow or air gun.

I’ve killed several animals inside of 50 yards in Africa so I’m hoping I can repeat that. Now a buffalo on the ground inside 50 with an air gun may be a little sketchy. 😄

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/05/21 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by L. C. Clower
Questions, you've already mentioned noise, can you give us a comparison?
How about the recoil moment?
I'm just starting to look into PCP rifles, this is new to me.

Noise of this gun is less than a 22 LR, no ear plugs required but I wouldn’t shoot it in my back yard in the city. The recoil of this one is basically none but the big bores like a .45 Texan will be very loud and will have some recoil. The Umarex Hammer .50 cal is very loud and has substantial recoil. The Air Saber I shoot is very shooter friendly. Also the noise is not the same it’s not the crack of a rifle.

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/05/21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by cmc

Thanks for that information. Do you have an electric one or do you use a scuba tank? Good luck on your Africa hunt if you get to go.

I use a tank but it’s the 4500 carbon fiber tanks and the scuba shop or paintball shop fills it I have both near me so I have no problems there. This particular gun shoots at 3600 psi so a regular scuba tank at 3000 would not be good. You can shoot it at 3000 but power and shot count would be drastically reduced.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: A year of hunting with an airgun - 01/08/21 02:30 PM

So he is shooting arrows, however many of these weapons come with integral noise suppression that makes them somewhat backyard friendly. I have a Airforce Texan .308 LSS that I can shoot in the backyard and not alert the neighbors. However, these things produce quite a bit of energy and your not going to stop the bullet with a 4” x 4” backstop. There are tricks and tweaks that can make them even more quiet to the point where it isn’t uncommon to be able to get 3 shots off at a sounder before they alert.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum