Texas Hunting Forum

Cougar - Limestone County

Posted By: 603Country

Cougar - Limestone County - 12/22/20 07:36 PM

Visited a nearby fellow that I don’t often see. He wanted to talk hunting for a bit, and his leases are all over the county, plus he’s from here. So, lots of friends locally. He had reports from guys that had game cam pics of Axis, Fallow deer, and an Aoudad, so those high fences aren’t escape proof. But, he also had a picture of an honest to goodness Cougar. He said his buddy shot it and weighed it at 80 pounds. Supposedly he hunted the area after finding a partially eaten doe. So I guess we do have, or at least had, a cougar in the area. I saw the picture.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 12/22/20 07:43 PM

80 pounds is a fairly small cougar, right?
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 12/23/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jdk1985
80 pounds is a fairly small cougar, right?

Yes a juvenile
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 12/23/20 01:50 PM

90 to 100 lbs is average for a female cougar. with some just not growing as big as others and some heavier than the average weight. If it was a male then no doubt it was a young one as they average 50 to 60lbs heavier then the females.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 12/24/20 02:21 AM

Just saw one on TV. The mountain man.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 12/24/20 07:46 AM

The things are everywhere.
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 01/06/21 09:25 PM

Especially in the DFW bar scene....oh, wait, you meant mountain lion! Was thinking different cougars! smile
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 01/06/21 09:29 PM

Robertson county has a a few. I have found the tracks and have heard the cries in the creek behind my camp house. It usually doesn't start showing up until February but it is a yearly event that lasts about 3 weeks.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 01/07/21 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Robertson county has a a few. I have found the tracks and have heard the cries in the creek behind my camp house. It usually doesn't start showing up until February but it is a yearly event that lasts about 3 weeks.

Not challenging this....BUT the mating season for Gray Fox just happens to be at that same time and if you aren't familiar with their call....it is often times 'mistaken' for that of a large cat. Just saying..........
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Cougar - Limestone County - 01/07/21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Just saw one on TV. The mountain man.

The Mountain Man was not filmed in Limestone County was it????
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum