Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for opinions

Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 12:05 AM

For varmint hunting, coons, rabbits etc
Having an issue with lots of varmints on the land I hunt, time to eradicate some of them
Which would y'all suggest?
I am thinking about a 22lr, 22mag or 17hmr, all rifles

I don't want to use my AR, 556/223, 308 or 30-06, those cost to much for these things, plus a bit much power for varmints
Ammo for all three is not that easy to come by, like most other popular calibers
But I want to get rid of a few, plus have some fun at the same time
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 12:30 AM

Love shooting my 17HMR. I even kill pigs with it. Can still find ammo too.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 12:31 AM

Nothing wrong with shooting coons with a .308! rifle grin

I've about had a bellyful of coons this year. They are rampant!

Need to go shoot some more, but don't really like shooting around my hunting areas much til after the deer season's over.

.22lr will do what you want, BTW. wink
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 02:52 AM

22lr cheap and relatively quiet
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 01:10 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys!!!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

That's what I also use on coons, coyotes, bobcats.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 01:12 PM

Have seen more .17 HMR on the shelf than any of the other rimfires combined. That would definitely sway my decision.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 01:49 PM

I use a Henry Lever action .22 loaded with .22 sub sonic shorts. Great quiet way of knocking them down.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 01:56 PM

22LR, head light or Q-beam (use a red lens), pop between the eyes ... find an area fur buyer (buy a trappers license) and pay yourself back too boot.

back in the day when fur was high (70s/80s), I would make several thousand dollars each fur season, and it was a lot of fun!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
22LR, head light or Q-beam (use a red lens), pop between the eyes ... find an area fur buyer (buy a trappers license) and pay yourself back too boot.

back in the day when fur was high (70s/80s), I would make several thousand dollars each fur season, and it was a lot of fun!

Are there even fur buyers anymore?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 03:42 PM

If you want to try something different and don't mind spending a little more, a quality PCP air rifle will also do the job.

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
If you want to try something different and don't mind spending a little more, a quality PCP air rifle will also do the job.

Great idea!

They work!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 06:25 PM

Great pix! They really show the capability of modern air rifles in the hands of someone who knows how to hunt.

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
Great pix! They really show the capability of modern air rifles in the hands of someone who knows how to hunt.

Thank you, Sir!

You just have to know the lethal range and shoot them well. I try for brain shots on most everything.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

This ^^^^^^^^
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 08:55 PM

I generally use my .17 HMR and snipe raccoons from a distance away. I like it because many times they are up on the feeder and the 17 will NOT exit on them, so no risk of damaging the feeder barrel or broadcaster.

Attached picture Coons1.jpg
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/02/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
I generally use my .17 HMR and snipe raccoons from a distance away. I like it because many times they are up on the feeder and the 17 will NOT exit on them, so no risk of damaging the feeder barrel or broadcaster.

Funny - I was moving some old feeder legs to the junk pile last week and saw one I had shot through with my .22 mag cuz a raccoon was hanging on it with his hand in the spinner. I like the bolt mag just because it is easy, cheap, and will drive nails. In this instance, I had brought it out hunting in case, and got irritated with the raccoon, so went ahead and popped him. I didn't realize til later it was through and through and through (the feeder leg).
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Looking for opinions - 12/03/20 02:25 PM

At my back door, I have my 30-06 deer rifle, my 12 gauge shotgun and my .22 Most of the time I grab my deer rifle. I consider it good practice to use it as often as I can. Earlier this year I started using the 12 gauge when the chickens send off a warning that a coyote might be around the house. That's worked well, especially on running shots. My goal when I pick up a weapon is to kill what I'm after, so I'm going with what is going to do the job 100% of the time. My .22 is the most fun to shoot, costs the least, but it's very limited in range and I've shot a few coyotes with it that I never found after shooting them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum