Texas Hunting Forum

Time for a few more old hunting quotes

Posted By: Texas Dan

Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/22/20 12:32 AM

"The truth is, most guides are not smart enough to hold down a steady job at the local sawmill, and are obliged to choose between guiding and burglary." - Ed Zern, To Hell with Hunting (1946)

"Man is a fugitive from nature." - Jose Ortega Y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting (1942)

"There are few things most outdoor-minded men pride themselves on more than the ability to build a good fire." - Gene Hill, Log Fires (1967)

"I know of no more common fault among parents. No matter how zealously guarded a boy's life may be, the time will almost certainly come when he will either handle firearms, or find himself in the company of other boys who are doing so, and in either case his chance of emerging from the affair in a watertight condition is in direct proportion to the familiarity the participants have with the weapon." - Burton Spiller, More Grouse Feathers (1938)

"It is regrettable that of the hundreds of thousands of deer hunters spread throughout our whitetail deer country only a few spend sufficient time in the woods for absorbing some knowledge of deer habits." - Lawrence R. Koller, Shots at Whitetails (1948)
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/22/20 12:42 AM

Watertight condition. I like that.
Posted By: batman

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/22/20 02:43 PM

"I thought he was bigger" - Every deer hunter.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/22/20 03:00 PM

Fires have become easier for sure
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/22/20 04:09 PM

Stay the hell out of my stand....me to whoever keeps using it!

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/22/20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Stay the hell out of my stand....me to whoever keeps using it!

I couldn’t even imagine it
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/22/20 04:44 PM

My Dad, talking about my oldest daughter’s first husband: “son, that boy sure dresses in fancy hunting clothes, but he can’t hunt for s___”. And true dat wuz.
Posted By: rmp

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/22/20 05:36 PM

"He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull's-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger." —The Hunting Lesson, February 1983, Patrick F McManus
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/23/20 12:59 AM

"A man and a gun and a star and a beast are still ponderables in a world full of imponderables"

Robert Chester Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Posted By: Erny

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/23/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by rmp
"He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull's-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger." —The Hunting Lesson, February 1983, Patrick F McManus

One of the most humorous authors ever.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/23/20 05:54 PM

Lots of good ones from W.A. Bill Maltsberger from whom I relearned deer management, deer hunting, and a lot of wisdom for life.

On whether to shoot a deer or let it go, "Err in favor of the animal and the ranch."

On the same question of whether to shoot a particular deer: "It should either clearly be a trophy or a cull."

"It is not going to grow any bigger or older once it is on the ground."

On fancy rifles: "Any horse too fancy to ride is too fancy to own."

Whenever he saw someone with weak shooting skills: "let's put the dogs on standby."

From my dad: "The odds of seeing a good one are better out hunting than sitting at home."

Posted By: Alloutdoors

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/23/20 06:55 PM

"Shooting afield without the aid of a trained dog is very poor sport indeed, but nevertheless much better than to be vexed with an uncultivated, obstinate dog who is the source of constant annoyance and anger." Ed. F. Haberlein, The Amateur Trainer, 1908
Posted By: wsjaxIV

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/23/20 07:03 PM

"Don't pass on one the first day that you wouldn't pass on the last day." This one hosed me earlier this year. I took a nice but not outstanding buck on the first day of a four day hunt and then saw at least six bucks that were better than the one I shot. I am also aware that the hunting gods would have had their way with me if I had passed on the first one. That seems to be the way it works.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/23/20 07:47 PM

My target buck last year came out from behind some trees to see the buck I had just dropped in the feeder pen.......
Posted By: tlk

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/24/20 12:29 AM

my Dad always told me - forget what you are seeing or not seeing when hunting a trophy - you are only hunting for ONE DEER -
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/24/20 01:44 PM

Aim small miss small
keep it in the fur.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/24/20 08:45 PM

If you want to eat it, don't shoot the eatin' parts!

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/25/20 09:02 PM

Big bodied but not much horns.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/25/20 09:08 PM

“You two look like you’ve been washing cats.” - my wife after the first time I took my dog woodcock hunting.

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/25/20 09:56 PM

He suffered from ground shrinkage.
Posted By: BigRon

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/25/20 10:37 PM

My uncle when hunting rabbits with his pack of beagles: "Make sure everyone uses .22 shorts, it'll be easier to patch up the dogs and the kids."

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/25/20 10:49 PM

That deer seems to have a hitch in his gitalong.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/26/20 12:04 AM

You can't eat the horns!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/26/20 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ringtail
You can't eat the horns!

my favorite rebuttal to that was always "yeah, and a ham steak looks bad up on the wall"

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/26/20 12:25 AM

All hoof and no horns.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/26/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by BigRon
My uncle when hunting rabbits with his pack of beagles: "Make sure everyone uses .22 shorts, it'll be easier to patch up the dogs and the kids."

My uncle grew up on a farm outside Stockdale with his grandparents, who were sharecroppers. I think they had like 9 or 10 kids in the house.

Anyway, there was one of my great Uncles, Sonny Boy, who according to everyone around him, could be kind of a turd. He died when i was around 5 or 6 years old and i don't remember him.

Anyway, food was hard to come by apparently and they shot squirrels everyday for lunch with an old single shot .22 loaded with shorts. The gun was propped up against the door and everyone was at the table eating breakfast, my uncle ( 7 or 8 at the time i think ) turned around to look at something and Sonny Boy grabbed his biscuit and took off out the open door. My uncle spun around, grabbed the .22 and shot him square in the arse with a short.

I asked him what happened after that, apparently he got a whooping for shooting his Uncle and Sonny got a whooping for being a thief.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/26/20 04:02 PM

[i][/i]
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
“You two look like you’ve been washing cats.” - my wife after the first time I took my dog woodcock hunting.

That’s awesome
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/27/20 03:17 AM

"Look at the cross hairs not the deer".

" I don't know what it is but we got us one".
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/27/20 11:54 AM

Shoot low Sherriff he's riding a Shetland.
Shoot him in the pants the coat's mine.
Posted By: BigRon

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/27/20 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

My uncle grew up on a farm outside Stockdale with his grandparents, who were sharecroppers. I think they had like 9 or 10 kids in the house.

Anyway, there was one of my great Uncles, Sonny Boy, who according to everyone around him, could be kind of a turd. He died when i was around 5 or 6 years old and i don't remember him.

Anyway, food was hard to come by apparently and they shot squirrels everyday for lunch with an old single shot .22 loaded with shorts. The gun was propped up against the door and everyone was at the table eating breakfast, my uncle ( 7 or 8 at the time i think ) turned around to look at something and Sonny Boy grabbed his biscuit and took off out the open door. My uncle spun around, grabbed the .22 and shot him square in the arse with a short.

I asked him what happened after that, apparently he got a whooping for shooting his Uncle and Sonny got a whooping for being a thief.

roflmao
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/28/20 05:08 PM

My father used to say "You kill game with your feet and your eyes, the rifle is simply the tool used to complete the job."

I have found that to be sound wisdom.

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/28/20 06:34 PM

Good one
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/28/20 08:04 PM

After someone shot & missed, my uncle would say:

"At least you gave 'em the thrill of the hunt!"
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/29/20 05:10 AM

Odds are that anyone who has ever been on a lease with several members has heard a member say "No, I didn't shoot" (and you know from where the sound came that it had to be him and that he missed big time!)
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 11/29/20 01:07 PM

"You can't get a deer sitting on the couch at home"

my FIL would say when he heard some shots:

1. hear only one shot - got him
2. hear 2 shots - needed two to finish him off
3. hear 3 or more shots- he definitely missed him
Posted By: Boone Dozer

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/01/20 08:55 PM

"Wack em and stack em, shoot em in the head so you aint gotta track em"
Posted By: Mohawk Man

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/02/20 11:14 AM

If you ain’t gonna eat it don’t shoot it. My Dad. He made me eat a black bird .
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/02/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

That's outstanding
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/03/20 03:35 PM

"Deer stands have a magnetic attraction for any deer hunter. He learns from his pals that many deer have been killed from Patterson's Rock or the Twin-Oak Stand, or Skunk Gully; he swells mentally in anticipation as he approaches any of these hallowed spots, knowing that when the drive comes through, his chances of killing that whitetail buck are better than those of the unfortunates who may be watching less favored areas. Every deer club has these sacred spots, and scared the are, indeed. They have achieved reputations simply because deer favor these places for moving from hideout to hideout." - Lawrence R. Koller, Shots at Whitetails (1948)

If you've ever been on deer drive, you know how it feels when hunting one of these "sacred spots".
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/03/20 06:35 PM

"Look pardner, you don't have to get all upset and point your gun at me. I'll let you have your moose. Just let me get my saddle off of him."
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/03/20 06:36 PM

"Doctor said that you're gonna die!"

Tonto
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/05/20 02:03 PM

I touched her off
My old buddy from Michigan would say when he would tell me one of his hunting stories
Posted By: Tw0fish

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/05/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mohawk Man

LOL! Have been there. Went dove hunting with my brother, couldn't tell which ones were doves. I came back with one, my brother had 14 doves and a woodpecker. Darned if he didn't eat it, and I got glasses that year smile
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/05/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tw0fish
Originally Posted by Mohawk Man

LOL! Have been there. Went dove hunting with my brother, couldn't tell which ones were doves. I came back with one, my brother had 14 doves and a woodpecker. Darned if he didn't eat it, and I got glasses that year smile

That happened to me a wood pecker n a rain crow was thrown in the gravy with the doves if I did eat one r the other I couldn’t tell it
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/06/20 11:18 PM

“Son, best advise I can give you is marry a girl with small hands”

Not so much a hunting quote, but we were at the deer lease when my grandfather said that to me. I was 7 or 8 at the time. It was another 7 or 8 years later when I fully understood what he was talking about
Posted By: SemperFiHunter

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/15/20 12:34 AM

“It’s hell eatin’em alive!” Can’t remember...

One old grizzled fishing guide once said of me:
“John’s a pretty good boy, he just s#*+s too close to the house!”

SFH

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/15/20 02:12 PM

There flies a dead dove.
Posted By: Joelk54

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/15/20 05:53 PM

My scope must be off!!!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/15/20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Joelk54
My scope must be off!!!

I don't know if that is considered an "Old hunting Quote."
I hear it every year from somebody.

Re: Time for a few more old hunting quotes - 12/25/20 04:33 AM

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2016/06/fs%E2%80%99s-110-best-hunting-tips/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum