Texas Hunting Forum

Panhandle public hunting

Posted By: Doak Blassingame

Panhandle public hunting - 11/19/20 05:26 PM

I am new to this especially public hunting is there any good spots for mule or white tail in the panhandle? I'm a crossbow hunter and am curious how the public hunting works. I've downloaded the manual from Texas websites but just need a professional opinion.
Posted By: Readytogo

Re: Panhandle public hunting - 11/19/20 05:41 PM

Not a professional opinion, but I do know that you can hunt the Lake Meredith area north of Amarillo, which is on the Canadian River. Keep in mind that it is public, so you likely won't be alone out there. There is also the Gene Howe Wildlife area at Canadian, but I have not been there, so no help on that one. When I hunted Lake Meredith, there was no sign in or anything, just park and get after it. Typically, hunters drive the deer into the huge ranches surrounding it, but good luck to you if go there.
Posted By: Doak Blassingame

Re: Panhandle public hunting - 11/19/20 06:18 PM

Thank you
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Panhandle public hunting - 11/21/20 08:19 PM

At Meredith there is a shotgun/archery only area (at least there was when I went over a decade ago. We went during rifle season but I took my bow and was in that area by myself. I almost got a shot on a small buck out there. It was my 1st time there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum