Texas Hunting Forum

Varmint Numbers 2020

Posted By: Papalote

Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 01:53 PM

I am in Kimble County. We have an abundance of varmints this year. Coons, skunks and gray fox are everywhere. Govt trapper says thin them out. DP traps are out, plus hunting over the gut bucket at night.

No possums, porcupines or ringtails have been seen. Hogs unseen but evidence is there.

Y'all have similar situations?
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 02:24 PM

San Saba county....we have seen the Coon population rise this year.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 02:50 PM

We had a good late winter and spring before it got so terribly dry. I believe that is the reason for the huge jump in coon, fox and other critter populations. Now that we are going into winter with little natural food, these critters are really traveling to try to make a living and why there are so many hit on the highways.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
We had a good late winter and spring before it got so terribly dry. I believe that is the reason for the huge jump in coon, fox and other critter populations. Now that we are going into winter with little natural food, these critters are really traveling to try to make a living and why there are so many hit on the highways.
Adios,
Gary

Three weeks ago, between Brownwood and Goldthwaite, I counted 18 dead coons. That's 33 miles.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 05:18 PM

When the numbers of those three critters explode, rabies soon follows.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Adios,
Gary

Three weeks ago, between Brownwood and Goldthwaite, I counted 18 dead coons. That's 33 miles.

dang thats a bunch

Re: Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 07:30 PM

Adios,
Gary

Yessir. I just drove 83 from Menard to Junction. Hwy is littered with bodies as described by QSYB. Rabies is a concern.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 10:27 PM

With NAFA going under and maybe never coming back, the numbers will increase all across the entire North American continent.

Re: Varmint Numbers 2020 - 11/18/20 11:45 PM

Yessir. I made my running money 50 years ago selling hides.. Had a fur buyer in most every town.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum