Texas Hunting Forum

Swisher, Hale Counties

Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Swisher, Hale Counties - 11/06/20 11:18 PM

Does any one hunt around Plainview or the surrounding areas? Might be moving out there soon and just trying to get an idea of what the hunting’s like. I know there are Mulies and White Tail. Just wondering if any one has experience out there.

Thanks! cowboy
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Swisher, Hale Counties - 11/07/20 10:32 PM

Leases are hard to find.. Hunting is fairly good towards the Turkey/Childress area and southeast of you towards Dickens and surrounding counties. As for Swisher and Hale they can be good for pheasant or quail provided you can get access. The upland hunting is better toward Dimmitt. Access is always the biggest issue. I outlived all my hunting friends and haven't bothered buying a hunting license the last couple of years. Also waterfowl hunting for crane and Canada geese can be great with access mostly through outfitters. Unless you can get other access. Good luck if you move.
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: Swisher, Hale Counties - 11/08/20 05:47 AM

Thanks for the info! I’ll be working closely with landowners if I do move out there so I might get lucky.

Sure is a change from south Texas but I’ve always had a love for the panhandle. The plains and the canyons are something else
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Swisher, Hale Counties - 11/09/20 04:49 PM

My father-in-law lived in Hale County. We used to hunt a lot of pheasant around Halfway, west of Plainview. Then the farmers switched over almost exclusively to cotton, and there were very few birds.

I saw deer out there for the first time about 5 years ago. Surprised the heck out of me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum