Texas Hunting Forum

Ammo

Posted By: Jamoke

Ammo - 11/05/20 02:56 PM

I keep going to local stores Academy, Walmart, no typical ammo, only odd caliber, or super expensive. When I spoke with the head of the gun department at Academy he says they have on surveillance video people lining up at 430 am to get the ammo, he says he thinks they are loading up to resell at higher prices online.
Posted By: Jet1902

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 02:58 PM

This covid-19 business hit the ammo production hard, its even worse because of the election and will get way worse if Biden wins.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jet1902
This covid-19 business hit the ammo production hard, its even worse because of the election and will get way worse if Biden wins.

Yep.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 03:08 PM

I am just guessing, but I would say that ammo is going to get harder and harder to get for at least the next 6 months.
three months until Biden is sworn in and then the three months after. It Depends if they are still having "peaceful protests" or not.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 04:08 PM

I suspect its mostly due to production being cut back due to COVID.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 04:15 PM

It's not from COVID - maybe 3 months ago - but not now.

It's due to massive demand.

It is expensive for manufacturers to add equipment to increase production - especially when that demand WILL go down next year. So production levels have remained the same - but demand has increased massively. It does not make financial sense for manufacturers to invest in infrastructure to meet demand - when demand will drop in the near future (whether Biden wins or Trump wins).
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
I am just guessing, but I would say that ammo is going to get harder and harder to get for at least the next 6 months.
three months until Biden is sworn in and then the three months after. It Depends if they are still having "peaceful protests" or not.

Biden is going to defeat Coronavirus, and he's going to defeat racism. Assuming he is sworn in on Jan 20th (as opposed to someone else) the hype over Coronavirus and systemic racism will subside quickly.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 08:42 PM

If you haven't stocked up already then you might as well wait... demand will recede, prices will drop and the cycle will continue.

I've seen prices as high as $38/50 of 9mm and $645/1000 .223 on shelves and that is for FMJ-
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cochise

It is expensive for manufacturers to add equipment to increase production - especially when that demand WILL go down next year. So production levels have remained the same - but demand has increased massively. It does not make financial sense for manufacturers to invest in infrastructure to meet demand - when demand will drop in the near future (whether B iden wins or Trump wins).

Depending on the source, gun sales nationwide are up 80-100% over last year, so yeah, demand is MUCH higher. More guns had been sold by mid July 2020 than were sold in all of 2019. With gun sales comes the demand for more ammo. Plus, everybody has been panic buying due to covid, the riots, and political fears.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Ammo - 11/05/20 11:42 PM

This is why I buy by the case and stock up when times are good. grin
Posted By: ColoradoBill

Re: Ammo - 11/06/20 12:02 AM

Oh, I think he's going to defeat Coronavirus on the first full day in office, if elected. And end racism by the end of that week. Everything will be peachy keen after that. Lots of ammo and guns, cheap, too! Oh, wait. Didn't he say that he was going to take our guns away after he said that he wouldn't? Whatever. I just hope the price will go down so I can afford to shoot again.

On a brighter note, I bought a Glock 44 during this turmoil. I'm glad I did. I'm able to do the same drills, with almost the same feel, grip, trigger, etc. as my G-19, for around $.08 a round. Even fits in the Glock 19 holster. .22lr has not been around much either lately, but I'm sure it will be back on the shelves soon. In the mean time, I'm keeping the other ammo in the guns and magazines within reach. Just in case.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Ammo - 11/06/20 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jamoke
I keep going to local stores Academy, Walmart, no typical ammo, only odd caliber, or super expensive. When I spoke with the head of the gun department at Academy he says they have on surveillance video people lining up at 430 am to get the ammo, he says he thinks they are loading up to resell at higher prices online.

That's very informative
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Ammo - 11/07/20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by Cochise

It is expensive for manufacturers to add equipment to increase production - especially when that demand WILL go down next year. So production levels have remained the same - but demand has increased massively. It does not make financial sense for manufacturers to invest in infrastructure to meet demand - when demand will drop in the near future (whether B iden wins or Trump wins).

Depending on the source, gun sales nationwide are up 80-100% over last year, so yeah, demand is MUCH higher. More guns had been sold by mid July 2020 than were sold in all of 2019. With gun sales comes the demand for more ammo. Plus, everybody has been panic buying due to covid, the riots, and political fears.

confused2 What good tis a gun without ammo ?
Or place ta shoot...
up just bought 9mm while back... Ammo (9mm) been instore 4-5 days now...
Fear tactics played a role in shortage...
flag
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Ammo - 11/08/20 12:32 AM

I have been seeing a fair supply of 6.5 on the shelves. That's the only reason I am hunting with it this season. It is more expensive than normal though.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Ammo - 11/08/20 09:50 PM

For the first time since I was young and broke I am hunting with a rifle because that’s what I have ammo for. Not counting 223 and AK rounds. If I looked through all my reloading and ammo boxes I probably have more. But handy I found part of a box of 325 WSM, full box of 300WSM I reloaded in 2005. A box of 270, half a box of 257wby, handful of 30-06.

My wife said, just reload some, I gave all my powder to my gunsmith buddy cause I didn’t want to put it in storage while new House was getting built. All my powder was old as the hills. Now I couldn’t find a can of RL-19 to save my life.

One thing rounds that are not all that common, I can buy 325 wsm, higher than grocery bill but can be bought.

Soon as I can I’m going to buy 8 pound can of RL-19 and same for Varget. I need to see if primers can be bought too.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Ammo - 11/08/20 10:31 PM

I have a .450 Bushmaster

It’s one of the few i can find just about every time
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Ammo - 11/08/20 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by dfwroadkill
This is why I buy by the case and stock up when times are good. grin

I’ve learned my lesson
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Ammo - 11/12/20 02:05 PM

A large portion of the ammo industry is in NY state; and still shut down. And in other states, they are making ammo as fast as they can, but primarily in core selling calibers, and it sells the moment it hits the shelves.

Gun Parts are also extremely hard to find, as again, many of the sources are in the NY and northeast....

And all of the panic buying started in late Feb, March,.... which is normally a slow time of the year for mfg.

Between timing, covid, civil unrest, it has been a "perfect storm" for the firearms industry the last 9 months.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Ammo - 11/12/20 02:42 PM

Where ammo is made (factories):

Winchester - East Allison, IL and Oxford, MS
Hornady - Grand Island, Nebraska
Remington, Lonoke, Arkansas
Nosler - Bend, OR
Federal - Anoka, Minnesota
CCI - Lewiston, Idaho
Speer - Lewiston, Idaho
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Ammo - 11/12/20 09:44 PM

Nosler - Bend, OR
CCI - Lewiston, Idaho
Speer - Lewiston, Idaho

That’s good info, thanks.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Ammo - 11/13/20 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Nosler - Bend, OR
CCI - Lewiston, Idaho
Speer - Lewiston, Idaho

That’s good info, thanks.

Very good- thanks
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Ammo - 11/13/20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05
I have a .450 Bushmaster

450 Bushmaster and 35 Whelen are the only rounds on the shelf near me, and only a few boxes of each. You can fit the entire bullet aisle in a shoe box.
Many gun show guys show up early and buy out almost anything they can.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Ammo - 11/14/20 03:44 AM

[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/DbX3eyE[/img]

Just got to know where to look
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Ammo - 11/14/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by mudd
[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/DbX3eyE[/img]

Just got to know where to look

So where?

Re: Ammo - 11/14/20 04:17 AM

Apparently Ohio has all the ammo us Southern guys need. My buddy said it is stacked up there expect straight wall ammo. He’s got a list to get for couple of us. Lol

Re: Ammo - 11/14/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by procraft05
I have a .450 Bushmaster

450 Bushmaster and 35 Whelen are the only rounds on the shelf near me, and only a few boxes of each. You can fit the entire bullet aisle in a shoe box.
Many gun show guys show up early and buy out almost anything they can.

popcorn
flag
Posted By: machinist

Re: Ammo - 11/15/20 04:01 AM

The Vista Corp. that bought Remington's ammunition business also owns Federal Ammo and 1 other that I can't remember. Anyway I read an article from there quartly report on Nov. 5ththat said they had orders for over 1 Billion dollars worth of ammo and components. So it may be a while but I think we will have ammo as soon as they get the Remington factory back up and running.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Ammo - 11/15/20 11:02 PM

I'm really glad that I've gotten into traditional black powder shooting. It's cheap and the powder and lead are still available. Caps have been a little bit scarce but they can still be found. I have enough to last awhile. I went to the range Friday. Most folks were just shooting a few rounds and packing it up. I was able to shoot until my shoulder turned purple.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Ammo - 11/15/20 11:59 PM

Ever heard of cheap meat?
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Ammo - 11/16/20 12:06 AM

There are advantages to traditional rifles.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Ammo - 11/16/20 12:08 AM

There are advantages to traditional rifles.

One pound of powder, 70 grains per shot equals 100 shots. Can't do that with modern for the same price.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Ammo - 11/16/20 03:43 PM

After noticing the Academy website showed .380 ammo in stock at my nearest Academy, I decided to drop by this morning (Monday) when the store opened just to see what it looked like. About 50 people in line when the doors opened, one of them a guy with his own personal roller cart a few people ahead of me. A woman had bought the last three boxes of .380 before I made it to the ammo shelves. No limit on .380 ammo. What was a little confusing was that 5.56 ammo was being sold in limited quantities from the service desk, which made me think all hard-to-find ammo was being sold in that manner. Other calibers were available in the usual place.

Re: Ammo - 11/16/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
After noticing the Academy website showed .380 ammo in stock at my nearest Academy, I decided to drop by this morning (Monday) when the store opened just to see what it looked like. About 50 people in line when the doors opened, one of them a guy with his own personal roller cart a few people ahead of me. A woman had bought the last three boxes of .380 before I made it to the ammo shelves. No limit on .380 ammo. What was a little confusing was that 5.56 ammo was being sold in limited quantities from the service desk, which made me think all hard-to-find ammo was being sold in that manner. Other calibers were available in the usual place.

No limit...
confused2 before bought me 9mm.. was looking @ a .380 ... They had no ammo on shelves...
Called other places looking for .380 ammo...
Was told :

.380 ammo was put on hold (manufactures) because of the demand for 9mm...

Reason went with the 9mm...
Several times went ta stores looking for 9mm ammo...
Was always late, sold out...
Final they got some TulAmmo 9mm in... Got 2 box's limit...
Went back, day later, still had ammo 2 more box's...
what good tis a gun without ammo?
Like in 70's, slinger take practice, get used ta gun, purpose fir the 9mm
All my pistals been western style,6 shooters, single action, never owned semi auto.
& i enjoy shooting (plinking) ...
@ end of week, back ta store, still had some 9mm, got limit,w more box's, that's whin guy asked if I was hording...
bang ya, i had become the problem... Others looking for ammo too...
Spent $250.00+ for gun, got ammo now for several years...
Scare tactic's. People getting FED-Up...
flag

Re: Ammo - 11/17/20 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Make a buddy up north. No limit on ammo. Too many ammo whores around here
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Ammo - 11/17/20 01:51 AM

The amount of time and money folks are spending driving to multiple stores multiple days of the week looking for ammo you’d end up saving money and heartache just buying it online and being done with it.

But......maybe it’s like dating, “chasing what you can’t get is part of the game”.... bolt
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Ammo - 11/17/20 02:25 AM

Ringworm, where are you finding ammo online?
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Ammo - 11/17/20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by machinist
The Vista Corp. that bought Remington's ammunition business also owns Federal Ammo and 1 other that I can't remember. Anyway I read an article from there quartly report on Nov. 5ththat said they had orders for over 1 Billion dollars worth of ammo and components. So it may be a while but I think we will have ammo as soon as they get the Remington factory back up and running.

Nope it will be at least a year.

Demand will continue to rise for a year now that Biden has won. I have been through many of these shortages due to panic buying and it takes that long to ramp up production and get caught up.
But sales demand will rise for at least the first 10 months that Biden is in office.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Ammo - 11/20/20 08:27 PM

FYI. Brush to Bay Outfitters has 5.56 and 9 mil ammo in stock. They do ship but it hasn't been added to their website yet. But you can order over the phone:

http://brushtobayoutfitters.com
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum