Texas Hunting Forum

How quiet is your hunting property?

Posted By: txtrophy85

How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/01/20 11:45 PM

Currently sitting in the bow blind.

Place I’m currently leasing is in a semi-rural area outside of boerne. Mix of smaller 20-50 acre estate homesites with some bigger places adjoining

Since 3:30 when I got here I have heard:

Aerobatic planes

Donkeys

Roosters

Straight piped diesel trucks

Cows

Motorcycles

Barking dogs

Crickets

Now the last one is to be expected and the deer don’t seem to mind any of the other noises.

How does this compare to your usual hunting spot in regards to different noises?
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/01/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Currently sitting in the bow blind.

Place I’m currently leasing is in a semi-rural area outside of boerne. Mix of smaller 20-50 acre estate homesites with some bigger places adjoining

Since 3:30 when I got here I have heard:

Aerobatic planes

Donkeys

Roosters

Straight piped diesel trucks

Cows

Motorcycles

Barking dogs

Crickets

Now the last one is to be expected and the deer don’t seem to mind any of the other noises.

How does this compare to your usual hunting spot in regards to different noises?

Pretty much exactly what you described plus a crap load of shotguns going off during duck season.

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/01/20 11:57 PM

Now my neighbor is mowing his grass and his goat is making goat noises. They also shot a rifle
Posted By: Grizz

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 12:35 AM

Pretty much just a cow here and there, occasional gun shots, and a rare vehicle on the county road.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 01:16 AM

Well..... I have the Permian Highway Pipeline, the Kinder Morgan Texas Pipeline and likely the Permian Global Access pipeline that now for the 2nd ongoing year have been getting trenched and buried right through my part of my lease. In addition a gigantic pumping station (mg best guess) the size of a Walmart has gone up 300yds from one of my elevated blinds and feeder. My deer lease has gone from the quiet West Texas lease where you once just heard the wind blowing the mesquite 24/7 as well as the occasional antique wind will moving and a cow mooing here and there to the following:

Semi traffic 24/7
Water haulers
Bulldozers
Trenchers
Excavators
Cranes
Large equipment operators screaming at each other so they can here each other.
Fed-Ex delivery trucks
Oil field traffic running though our private FARM roads, cutting across the property simply because it is quicker and more convenient for them instead of driving THEIR lease roads. Safe to say.......this is it for me on this lease.

Glad people have jobs and can stay employeed during these times, however a handful of them have zero respect for the ranch or those like myself who are ALSO using it. Fortunately, it’s not my ranch they are doing it on and I only have to deal with it one more year and then I’ll move on and let someone else deal with the headaches.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 01:22 AM

popcorn Deer learn to patern hunters, (people, traffic, noises, & such)...
pappy. ..

flag
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Theringworm
Well..... I have the Permian Highway Pipeline, the Kinder Morgan Texas Pipeline and likely the Permian Global Access pipeline that now for the 2nd ongoing year have been getting trenched and buried right through my part of my lease. In addition a gigantic pumping station (mg best guess) the size of a Walmart has gone up 300yds from one of my elevated blinds and feeder. My deer lease has gone from the quiet West Texas lease where you once just heard the wind blowing the mesquite 24/7 as well as the occasional antique wind will moving and a cow mooing here and there to the following:

Semi traffic 24/7
Water haulers
Bulldozers
Trenchers
Excavators
Cranes
Large equipment operators screaming at each other so they can here each other.
Fed-Ex delivery trucks
Oil field traffic running though our private FARM roads, cutting across the property simply because it is quicker and more convenient for them instead of driving THEIR lease roads. Safe to say.......this is it for me on this lease.

Glad people have jobs and can stay employeed during these times, however a handful of them have zero respect for the ranch or those like myself who are ALSO using it. Fortunately, it’s not my ranch they are doing it on and I only have to deal with it one more year and then I’ll move on and let someone else deal with the headaches.

Really sorry to hear your getaway has been spoiled. Hope you find something bigger and better.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:03 AM

I hear some cows every now and then, a train that runs along 287 will roll by in the distance. Pretty quiet most of the time.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:17 AM

I hear Naval Air Base training planes flying weekdays from early to late in the day. Cattle. Coyotes. Quail. Deer. Green Jays. Cardinals. Turkey coming off the roost in the neighbors. Occasional highway road noise from vehicle traffic. A dog barking in the distance. Occasional vehicle traffic on the neighbors ranches. Two distant gunshots all weekend during hunting hours and several pistol shots at noon today. Wind in the treetops. Corn feeders going off at their set time. Deer crunching on corn before daylight. Mostly though I hear ringing in my ears due to Tinitus. bang
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:26 AM

No noise. None. I love it.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:33 AM

Today I heard a train that goes thru the land we hunt. There is also a gun range on the property that is owned by the same company that owns the land we hunt on. There were a couple of people shooting but the deer and hogs are used to it after 50+ years. The neighboring places hunt so we hear rifles and shotguns. On Saturday at 12:00 noon I get to hear a test of the emergency horn at the plant. Some days, most actually it is only the wildlife that you hear.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Grizz
Pretty much just a cow here and there, occasional gun shots, and a rare vehicle on the county road.

Pretty much the same on the small, 75-acre tract that I hunt. I do my best to make it the quietest tract in the area. I park my truck just inside the gate and the ATV never gets started until there is meat on the ground.
Posted By: freerange

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:58 AM

The place ive had a long time is big and remote and I never expect to hear any noise other than wildlife but we do have neighbors so an occasional gun shot. The second place is pretty remote as well but we do have county road frontage so a few stands you will sometimes hear a vehicle. Actually every few days you will hear what I was told was a sonic boom(scare the daylights out of you the first time) so I guess we got something going on up in the air.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 03:07 AM

200 acres surrounded by a 100,000 acre ranch on 3 sides.................not in the middle of nowheres but you can see nowhere
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
No noise. None. I love it.

Same here. We are at the end of county road 105 in NW Burnet County. 105 ends at the ranch and we are on the Colorado River. Turkeys, cows, pigs, and coyotes are all we hear. I bow hunted on a long narrow strip on a FM road. Place was several hundred yards wide and a little over a mile long. When hunting close to the road I would wait to draw on a deer until a vehicle came by.
Posted By: kry226

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 03:12 AM

We get the fleets of cotton trucks in the fall, farm trucks, tractors, combines, pickup trucks from a nearby outfitter, and the occasional crop duster. Fortunately, by and large, it's still pretty quiet.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 03:23 AM

Mine gets crazy loud right after day break and about an hour before sunset. The sound of thousands of sandhill cranes taking flight and coming to roost ruins the peacefulness of my hunt
Posted By: TCM3

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 03:26 AM

You can hear 1484 when it gets rush hour, and an occasional hound.
Mostly birds, squirrels that sound like deer.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 05:14 AM

Nothing but the train from about 12 miles away on a cold clear night.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Mostly though I hear ringing in my ears due to Tinitus.

Yep.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 12:05 PM

Just heard a squirrel fart...
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 01:43 PM

The place I hunt in East Texas does not have the deer count like the place I huntined in South Texas, Mexico etc.

But its quite, has no cows, its all timber land. We least from a Timber company. One section is 3000 acres, the other down the road where the camp is 2300. I'm not sure I can hear a car drive down the highway.

The way its set up, nobody has ever driven past me, spooked deer or etc. They have cut timber a time or two but its never been in my area.

I've hunted places with goats, horses, cows, elk, dogs you name it. We may not have the same deer as South Texas, buit I don't have to worry about a ranch hand walking within 20 feet of my feeder when I'm in a stand and fire up a pear burner and start burning pear. Or worse, like one of the ranches we hunted in Mexico, it was a short cut around a checkpoint for drug runners. I'd would be seting in my high rack truck and a car loaded down with drugs and cartel guys would roll by me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 01:56 PM

Place i grew up hunting, its now George Ranch in garden ridge. We had a stand about 100 yards off Schoenthal Road, every time a car drove by the deer would look, it was a good time to open a window, clear your throat etc.

Place we hunt now is BFE middle of nowhere south texas on a dirt/gravel road, pending the wind/wind direction you can hear stuff you wouldn't imagine. Last year someone shot a doe on the north end of the place while i was hunting the south end. They went to go pick it up on an electric golf cart. The morning was so still and quiet i could hear the golf cart electric motor whine from a 1/2 mile through brush.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 01:59 PM

Nothing but the wind and nature.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

Yep.

I'm a member of that club myself.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:28 PM

We hunt under a military operations airspace that starts at 10,000 feet. I enjoy hearing (and occasionally seeing) F-15s, -16s, F-18s, and an occasional 22 or -35 dogfight/train 2 miles overhead.

flag
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pootie

clap
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 03:35 PM

You can hear your own heartbeat. Wind in the pine trees.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
We hunt under a military operations airspace that starts at 10,000 feet. I enjoy hearing (and occasionally seeing) F-15s, -16s, F-18s, and an occasional 22 or -35 dogfight/train 2 miles overhead.

flag

Same here - we are in the Brownwood MOA and just north of the Brady MOA. Every once in awhile we can spot them up high, but hear them a lot. Last year I had an afternoon sit completely ruined by three helicopters practicing overhead - two blackhawks and an Apache I think. They spent more than an hour hovering or making runs past at just a few hundred feet.

I can sometimes hear traffic on 287 in the morning, but several miles distant and not a big deal. Of course, cows on our place, and can sometimes hear donkeys baying from a neighbors place to my north. Other than that, just me and the ringing in my ears.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 03:48 PM

8 miles down a dead end dirt road and a mile behind a locked gate. It's pretty quiet except for the noise we hunters make.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pootie

Blaming it on a squirrel...have to remember that one... grin
Posted By: SB9969

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 04:38 PM

We are right by Ft Hood so not quiet at all. Lots of training exercises and shooting plus helicopters flying over low and often. Get used to it after awhile. The deer don't give it a 2nd thought.
Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 04:41 PM

Pretty quiet till they start separating cows on the next lease. Feel bad for those guys semi trucks gates slamming and cows bellowing all day.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 04:54 PM

Where I hunt now, just the occasional cow bellowing, the coyotes at daybreak and dusk, and the neighbors wind mill that I am tempted to drop off a tube of grease into his mailbox.
One new neighbor seems to not be happy unless he shoots a few times every time he shows up.....At least I know when he's not there!

The noisiest place I've hunted on was the Joint Base at Camp Bullis. Rifle ranges always started up around 8 a.m. and sounds of trucks honking horns, and troops marching and calling out cadence.
Simulators going off that seemed like they were right next to me, and made me jump 2' off my chair. Helos circling, and the sound of ambushes and other training exercises. Can't forget that trumpet at the beginning and end of the day!
Other than that is was pretty quiet once the sun went down!
Posted By: Western

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 05:01 PM

About all the above less the squirrel fart...Did have a 350i excavator show up on the neighbors about 100 yards over the fence, That may get interesting
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 05:50 PM

Yep.

Same here. Drives me crazy when it's too quiet.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 06:13 PM

It's pretty quiet where we are most of the time, especially since we no longer have a full kennel of pointers. However, if you're in one of the southern pastures near the lake it sounds like a war zone on the first few weekends of duck season. The more common natural sounds are turkey coming out of their roosts, singing yotes, noisy green jays, bugling sandhills, rooting pigs, and owls. Man I love all that stuff...except for the stupid duck hunters.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
Nothing but the wind and nature.

Yep.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 06:40 PM

Deer aren't bothered by noise. Deer are bothered by unusual noise and/or sudden, unexpected noises.

Most of my places are right off the hard top, so I can expect road noise. Many of my places are in oil country and I often hear the sounds of compressors or pumps in the background.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 11:38 PM

on my Parker county bow lease I hear very similar sounds.....
motorcycles
hammering
power tools of all kinds
dogs (lots of them)
loud trucks
lots of trucks pulling squeaky trailers down the road....constantly
kids screaming and playing
heard a live rock band opening weekend at a house just up the road
bull dozers
music from the neighbors side by side as he was filling his feeder
sirens
helicopters & planes

The price of hunting close to home....doesn't bother them at all....just me...
the benefit....I get away with a little noise my self
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/02/20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid

Yep.

Same here. Drives me crazy when it's too quiet.

oh lord yes....

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/03/20 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Schpanky
on my Parker county bow lease I hear very similar sounds.....

heard a live rock band opening weekend at a house just up the road

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sbushee

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/03/20 03:56 AM

Occasional military plane. Goats and cows.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/03/20 12:59 PM

Normally pretty quite but we have a new pipeline going in right now and it has been challenging. They dont seem to mind the equipment so much but when the guys are yelling the deer scatter. I expect they will finish in January.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/03/20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Normally pretty quite but we have a new pipeline going in right now and it has been challenging. They dont seem to mind the equipment so much but when the guys are yelling the deer scatter. I expect they will finish in January.

Yep. We have 'fracking' going on right now on our property and even though the pad is over a mile away from our house...the noise is considerable. My favorite spot to hunt is only 400 yds away from the well pad.

But amazingly....the deer seem to have adapted to the noise generated. My game cams record audio as well as video and the noise is considerable....but the deer don't seem too concerned with it. The activity there has actually pushed the deer closer to my stand site. The hogs (thankfully) seem more affected. They have moved much farther from the activity than the deer.

I'll be glad when they are done because I really enjoy a quiet, cool, peaceful morning....watching the woods come alive, taking in all the sights and sounds of nature.

Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/03/20 02:38 PM

I spent a week by myself on the Caballo Ranch in Mexico. Way past the first check point on the road that runs SW out of Eagle Pass. Just me and my little Jeep with a high rack. We had the back pasture leased, which was about 30k acres. I had to drive through 60k acres just to get there. The Caballo ranch is about 90k acres, its the ranch where the saying all the pretty horses came from. It was a horse ranch up until the early 60's from what I was told. Very quite week in my life, not a sound, also not a deer one!!!. I did see one 4 point. Thats Mexico, one place will be over ran, the next. Caballo didn't have any water, not a stock tank on the place. Had a system of above ground concrete holding tanks, but the old White/Westinghouse generator went out, no parts, cost to much to repalce. I couldnt't get off that place fast enough, only hunted it one year. My 7-8 years of Mexico hunting was not all that productive, but it was still an experience and I saw things I will never forget. Was still a lot of fun.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: How quiet is your hunting property? - 11/03/20 02:46 PM

The quiet place I bought 11 years ago is not so quiet anymore and the lease down south I get to see Border Patrol trucks and helicopters on a daily basis along with oil trucks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum