Texas Hunting Forum

$1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos

Posted By: jeffbird

$1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 12:25 AM

I am tired of seeing the wildlife and wild areas of Texas vanish in front of my eyes, so trying to do what I can to protect the best of what's left.

I am involved with studying cats on a few ranches in South Texas, two of which have evidence of Jaguarundis with a few photos, but which are not super crisp, and one ranch has ocelot photos.

I'll pay $1,000 for photos of ocelots from ranches not already known to have them, or for Jaguarundis, in Texas that withstand scrutiny and review by my cat experts and the USFWS cat biologists. It will need to be a photo file with the metadata available on the file to make sure there has been no alteration. The person submitting the photo will need to provide a sworn affidavit to back up the photo as to date, location, and that the photo has not been altered.

The money is just coming out of my pocket for my effort to save the best wildlife habitat left in South Texas. Obviously talking about wild animals. So, no wise guys taking photos in the zoo or cats at the wildlife refuges or from ranches already known to have them.

Game camera photos are fine and very acceptable.

If a ranch thinks they may have them, I have over 40 professional grade cameras available to use, which I will be happy to run and monitor to try to help landowners who want to protect their Ocelots or Jaguarundis and potentially help them benefit financially from protecting the cats.

Ocelots are in the genus Leopardus, our own Texas leopards. smile

This is an ocelot as the population from Tamaulipas appears, which is what occurs in South Texas:

[Linked Image]

Below is a photo of a Jaguarundi. They also occur with a reddish color, which is the second photo.

Note the rounded tops of the ears compared to pointed ears on house cats.

There is potentially very substantial financial benefit to ranch owners with Jaguarundis or Ocelots in Texas.

I do believe the constant sprinkle of "black panther" reports actually are Jaguarundis and they are here, but elusive.

[Linked Image]

Red form of the Jaguarundi

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 12:36 AM

Steven Rinella just had a great podcast on the ocelot preservation efforts with a couple of Texas biologists tasked with their conservation. I’m sure you are aware of it Jeff.

I am glad to see ranchers willing to join in the conservation efforts given the potential, let’s say, complications. Speaks well of them.

Kudos and good luck to you with your efforts also. up

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 12:42 AM

Yes sir, very aware of the efforts of several people working to help and pitching in with what I can do.

We are finding there can be some substantial benefits to the ranch owners.

Thank you NP, and good to see you post. cheers
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Steven Rinella just had a great podcast on the ocelot preservation efforts with a couple of Texas biologists tasked with their conservation. I’m sure you are aware of it Jeff.

I am glad to see ranchers willing to join in the conservation efforts given the potential, let’s say, complications. Speaks well of them.

Said there hasn’t been a jagarundi sighting since 1989...I looked it up and TPWD confirmed it

I personally know 5 people that have seen them.

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Said there hasn’t been a jagarundi sighting since 1989...I looked it up and TPWD confirmed it

I believe it.

I am doing my best to prove it and protect them.

Posted By: NDN98

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 01:15 AM

That was a great episode. I always enjoy his podcast, but that one sticks out. Believe the biologists name was Michael Tewes.
Posted By: HS2

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 01:33 AM

Thank you sir for doing so much for this cause. Conservation is our obligation.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by NDN98

That was a great episode. I always enjoy his podcast, but that one sticks out. Believe the biologists name was Michael Tewes.

Yes, he works at CKWRI and he is the Regents Professor and the Frank Daniel Yturria Endowed Chair for Wild Cat Studies at the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 02:04 AM

'Wife swears she saw a Jaguarundi crossing DeZavala along the RR track easement in north San Antonio, years ago. It's an argument we've had for many years now. I've showed her all kinds of pictures, including those posted above. She will not waiver. bang
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbird

I believe it.

You would think they would have some on game cams.

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 02:16 AM

I believe it.

You would think they would have some on game cams.

Just about every game camera in Texas is aimed at a deer feeder.

Bobcats will go to a feeder to catch rodents or rabbits eating corn.

One ranch I have been helping has black bears hitting their deer feeders.

A bear standing on its hind legs and eating off of a spinner plate 5' off the ground is impressive.

The ocelots stay in very dense thorn scrub brush far from human activity and do not like to go out in the open areas.

The photos I have obtained all were from setting out cameras in areas with cat tracks in the brush.

The jaguarundis will go to the edges of brush, but I've not heard of either ocelots or jaguarundis ever showing up under deer feeders.

There is a method that helps with searching, but luck is needed too.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 02:35 AM

Cool project
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 03:30 AM

I personally know 5 people that THINK they have seen them.

Fixed it for you
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 09:01 AM

I may have seen a jaguarundi before. I saw all manner of cats and dogs while hunting south Texas. A red one could sure full you into thinking it was a regular old house cat.
Unlike those that claim they saw a mountain lion or black panther that in reality was just bad size judgement, I think many may have seen a Jaguarundi or ocelot and just thought it was a bobcat or house cat.
I appreciate you effort jeffbird, I hope to see some pictures come from this.
Posted By: Stub

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 10:26 AM

Back in the late 60's one of our neighbors had a Ocelot that they had the claws and Canine teeth removed. When sitting down you always had this feeling you were being stalked and you would be, all of the sudden that cat would pounce on you from behind. It ended up biting into an electrical wire and died.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 11:50 AM

Great project and appreciate all your effort and sincerely hope you are highly successful with it!

Beautiful animals both species are!
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by HS2
Thank you sir for doing so much for this cause. Conservation is our obligation.

This! Thank you!
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 01:57 PM

Wish I could help. I wouldn't accept money for it, and it sounds like a very beneficial cause. I'm just nowhere near that part of Texas to be of any use.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 04:36 PM

You might contact Dale Rollins at the RPQRF. He and I have both had jaguarundi sightings SE of Snyder. Probably the same animal. I don't have any pictures, but it's possible he does.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 06:28 PM

Are there any disadvantages to ranches and their operations that do have confirmed animals? They are both endangered,
Posted By: kk66

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Are there any disadvantages to ranches and their operations that do have confirmed animals? They are both endangered,

That was my first thought as well. I could see a scenario where once the animals are confirmed the government showing up "here to help" turning into a nightmare.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by EddieWalker
Wish I could help. I wouldn't accept money for it, and it sounds like a very beneficial cause. I'm just nowhere near that part of Texas to be of any use.

Same here - great project and wish you and the cats great luck in repopulation/preservation.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Cool project

Yes, it is.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Cool project

Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by kk66

That was my first thought as well. I could see a scenario where once the animals are confirmed the government showing up "here to help" turning into a nightmare.

An endangered water snake kept Lake OH Ivie from being built for the better part of a decade.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by kk66

An endangered water snake kept Lake OH Ivie from being built for the better part of a decade.

I’ve spent a lot of time and money trying to keep lessor prairie chicken off ES list, not sure what farming and grazing restrictions or even traffic restrictions would or wouldn't go in place but I'm not well to find out.

I'd love to see more LPC’s even if it meant no more pheasants but I sure don't need the restrictions

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 08:22 PM

Private landowners are in very different positions legally than the US government building a reservoir.

The Endangered Species Act is worthy of a long post on its own, but in short, the ranches with the endangered cats and other endangered species are now positioned to receive substantial income for protecting them.

Even very small protection efforts can generate income to conservation minded ranches. Last week, I helped move some very small endangered cactus to a ranch in the Hill Country.

The ranch owner was paid $10,000 for letting a pipeline relocate 26 small cacti onto his land. They ranged from the size of a grape to the size of a baseball.

The ranch owner thought I was joking until the check really showed up. Now he is begging for more, which I'm working on. It is win-win for the ranch owner and the pipeline company trying to move them out of the way.

Another ranch owner put a conservation easement on 1,000 acres to protect a Hill Country creek with otters in it and some Golden-cheeked Warblers and received $2 million in cash and $2 million in bottom line tax credits.

So, that is $4 million in income for protecting her property which she was trying hard to do anyway.

Endangered cats can generate very substantial income to ranch owners, potentially into the seven figures or even more.

Sometimes I get paid for helping, sometimes it is just the satisfaction of helping save the wild places I grew up loving as a boy and I now see vanishing in front of my eyes.

The ranches with the cats I have been helping were able to block pipelines from coming through the core areas of their ranches, but their usual ranch activities of oil and gas production, cattle, and deer hunting continue as usual.

The USFWS uses what are known as "safe harbor" agreements. These agreements guarantee the landowners can continue to use their land as they have been while the animals are protected.

The government finally figured out that landowners with these endangered animals and plants knew more about how to manage their own lands than the desk drivers in DC.

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts.

Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 08:49 PM

Good for you on your efforts to protect wildlife. I hope some pictures are sent to you and possibly posted on here, very neat animals.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/28/20 09:35 PM

Kudos to you! As I mentioned, we would be happy to donate some maps if you ever need any made. Very cool project!

We have had 2-3 sightings at our place in Dimmit County. I had one cross my path about 60-70 yards in front of me. It stopped in the middle of the sendero and was studying something in the woods, before it walked into the brush. Probably had 45 seconds of observing it. I had known what they looked like and immediate knew what it was. Different than anything I’d seen in person before. Without a doubt it was one. Immediately got back to the ranch and looked up pics. Confirmed. That was about a decade back.

Fast forward to two years ago and my dad calls me on my cell and says he saw 1 as he was leaving our property. On the way back in from town, saw one near the same spot. Said that one seemed to be a different one perhaps as it looked to be bigger than the first. Both froze and watched him as he drove by and then they slinked off into the woods. Maybe it was more than one, but we chalked it up to at least one confirmed sighting.

About 15 years ago, my buddy described the most amazing looking bobcat he’d ever seen in his life. It sounded like he was describing an ocelot. I asked him if that is what it might have been. Said he’d never heard of an ocelot. Showed him a pic and he was like THAT is what I saw. 25 yards from his stand. Haven’t seen any evidence of one since then.

Love to know these creatures are still out there and hopefully being protected by all who see them! 👍
Posted By: TTH

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/29/20 03:32 AM

We had a black Jaguarundi on our place south of Freer that I have observed from a deer blind back in 2009. We have not seen one since, but the brush habitat on our land is perfect for them.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/29/20 05:05 AM

I've said for a long time that if we truly want to preserve endangered species we should be making it profitable to landowners. This is good to hear.

Personally, I've had too many sideways dealings with the EPA and the endangered species act to trust the government. Monetary compensation and a usfw willing to work with landowners is the only way we will restore habitat. It's gonna take me a while before I trust the government. But this is a step in the right direction.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 10/29/20 01:41 PM

yeah... get a pic of a rare cat and have USFW crawling all over the place, deeming the property a safe haven for the cats.... F that.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/24/21 01:46 PM

I have 2 pictures of one taken in Weatherford
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/24/21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by David Maas

..... popcorn
Posted By: DaveTexas

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/24/21 09:35 PM

Joe Rogan mentioned on one of his podcast that’s he has surveillance video of one near his house in Austin
Anyone know if the video was ever posted?
Posted By: David Maas

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/25/21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by DirtNapTET
Originally Posted by David Maas

..... popcorn

Well, this one is a coatimundi, not a Jaguarundi as first thought

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/25/21 05:51 PM

Interesting on the coati...still hundreds of miles outside of its normal range.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/26/21 01:03 AM

It is easy to doubt people's statements of what they have seen. My guess the doubter is wrong quite a bit.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/26/21 01:29 AM

Funny...how the leading poster's posts actually mean something. bolt
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/29/21 09:39 PM

TPWD did a write up on these guys today
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/30/21 01:53 PM

I am tired of seeing the wildlife and wild areas of Texas vanish in front of my eyes, so trying to do what I can to protect the best of what's left.

I am involved with studying cats on a few ranches in South Texas, two of which have evidence of Jaguarundis with a few photos, but which are not super crisp, and one ranch has ocelot photos.

I'll pay $1,000 for photos of ocelots from ranches not already known to have them, or for Jaguarundis, in Texas that withstand scrutiny and review by my cat experts and the USFWS cat biologists. It will need to be a photo file with the metadata available on the file to make sure there has been no alteration. The person submitting the photo will need to provide a sworn affidavit to back up the photo as to date, location, and that the photo has not been altered.

The money is just coming out of my pocket for my effort to save the best wildlife habitat left in South Texas. Obviously talking about wild animals. So, no wise guys taking photos in the zoo or cats at the wildlife refuges or from ranches already known to have them.

Game camera photos are fine and very acceptable.

If a ranch thinks they may have them, I have over 40 professional grade cameras available to use, which I will be happy to run and monitor to try to help landowners who want to protect their Ocelots or Jaguarundis and potentially help them benefit financially from protecting the cats.

Ocelots are in the genus Leopardus, our own Texas leopards. smile

This is an ocelot as the population from Tamaulipas appears, which is what occurs in South Texas:

[Linked Image]

Below is a photo of a Jaguarundi. They also occur with a reddish color, which is the second photo.

Note the rounded tops of the ears compared to pointed ears on house cats.

There is potentially very substantial financial benefit to ranch owners with Jaguarundis or Ocelots in Texas.

I do believe the constant sprinkle of "black panther" reports actually are Jaguarundis and they are here, but elusive.

[Linked Image]

Red form of the Jaguarundi

[Linked Image]

they are such neat cats, hope we never lose them
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/30/21 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
TPWD did a write up on these guys today

I saw them post on Facebook where they had pics of 5 kittens caught on trail cam yesterday. I'll see if I can find it.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 06/30/21 04:07 PM

It's great seeing someone with such a passion for preservation. You may not know the answer to this, but has the introduction of so many non native species to Texas helped or hurt the wild cat population? Same question in regards to the feral house cat population in the hill country?

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/05/21 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by TKandMike
It's great seeing someone with such a passion for preservation. You may not know the answer to this, but has the introduction of so many non native species to Texas helped or hurt the wild cat population? Same question in regards to the feral house cat population in the hill country?

Bobcats seem to be doing well in many areas of South Texas. While they tend to go after small prey, they seem to prey on small pigs from anecdotal reports. So the areas with more pigs may support more cats and the cats are contributing to killing pigs. Areas with more deer and pigs are more likely to have mountain lions, although they are scarce anywhere. I found a half eaten deer covered in leaves with mountain lion tracks along a creek, well inside of the Austin city limits.

Feral cat colonies are bad news for wildlife, especially ground nesting birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Pigs also obliterate these same ground species. The cat ladies are not helping the cats either, just refilling the buffet line for coyotes to eat alive.

Ocelots are almost exclusively found in native thorn brush, especially near creeks and draws. So many regard thorn brush as worthless and something to be removed. The thorn brush is rich in wildlife, although hard to see. A lightbulb went off in my mind when I saw a 10,000 acre property with all native brush plowed under to grow soy beans. All the vegans feel good eating tofu made from those soy beans grown in that 10,000 acre field, now almost completely devoid of any form of life other than soy bean plants. Deer, cats, badgers, dozens of bird species, horny toads, snakes, butterflies, everything was wiped out and obliterated to make tofu and soy lattes for Houston, Dallas, and Austin. That example also illustrates the economic value of deer hunting to wildlife habitat conservation. Ranches with significant income from hunting manage the property to benefit wildlife. Many other animals benefit from the revenue deer bring to preserve the land.

That habitat destruction is what is killing these wild cats, horny toads, many species of birds, and other wildlife more than anything along with the loss and/or pollution of fresh water sources.

Wildlife, like people, need food, water, and shelter to survive. Lack of clean water is rapidly turning into a critical situation in the western 2/3’s of Texas. Much of the water that does remain is becoming badly polluted.

When I was a boy, we drank water straight from the Blanco River and it tasted great. Now towns dump sewage effluent into so many of our water sources, they are unfit to swim in, much less drink. What has happened to us? Why do we let our water be poisoned without even caring?

I used to take groups on bird watching tours around Texas. A few were heavily involved in bird conservation globally. They made a comment from their perspective traveling around the world that always stuck in my mind. They said Texas is one of the best areas in the world for wildlife and at a point now that Africa was 100 years ago. They said, fight to protect what you have here right now before it vanishes. So I am doing what I can. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/05/21 07:37 PM

Has anyone ever tried baiting for ocelots or jaguarundis in areas with suitable habitat the way they do big cats in Africa to document their presence or are they just too scarce?

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/06/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Has anyone ever tried baiting for ocelots or jaguarundis in areas with suitable habitat the way they do big cats in Africa to document their presence or are they just too scarce?

Researchers at Laguna Atascosa NWR have tried scent lures with mixed results. These cats are wily. One of their researchers told me they had an ocelot with a radio collar they located, surrounded with cameras (they thought), but it took two years to get a photo on a game camera even with the radio collar on it.
Posted By: Marty Wayne

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/06/21 02:55 AM

In 2009 I was hunting between Freer and Benavides and saw a Jaguarundi on 2 different occasions from the same stand about 2 weeks apart. It was never seen again as far as I know. It was absolutely beautiful.

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/06/21 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Marty Wayne
In 2009 I was hunting between Freer and Benavides and saw a Jaguarundi on 2 different occasions from the same stand about 2 weeks apart. It was never seen again as far as I know. It was absolutely beautiful.

Very neat and very believable.
They are many credible reports.
Guys take cameras with you or even try for a cell phone photo.
Thanks for sharing this Marty. up
Posted By: DStroud

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/06/21 04:45 AM

I had two Jaguarundis cross about 40 yards from my bow blind near Freer Tx in 1993. The landowner had to tell me what they were based off my describing and seeing the tracks.
Posted By: TTOURS

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/26/21 05:55 PM

Have had two separate sightings of a "black panther" about 18 month ago, 20 miles north of Brady. Run 9 trail cams and if anything outlined above shows will gladly share. I assume an abundance of wild pigs do not help.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/26/21 07:10 PM

Have yall received any new photographs from this effort?

Re: $1,000 for Ocelot or Jaguarundi Photos - 07/28/21 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Have yall received any new photographs from this effort?

We have some from ranches that told us they had them, but no new previously unknown ranches.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum