Texas Hunting Forum

Cooler size

Posted By: Yeti88

Cooler size - 10/14/20 10:54 PM

For those that put your game meat in coolers for transport, what size cooler do you use? Academy has a 100 quart cooler for around 100$ that I am thinking about getting.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cooler size - 10/14/20 10:59 PM

If its for transport
Coleman Coastal Xtreme Series Marine Portable Cooler,120 Quart
Average Rating:(
) stars
out of5stars
274 ratings, based on274reviews
113 commentsColemanWalmart # 553206489
$55.00$55.00
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Cooler size - 10/14/20 11:04 PM

You can fit a single quartered deer in a yeti 65/75 easily. You can easily get two in a 100 qt chest if you do it right.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 12:06 AM

I use igloo 150 quarts. I can get several quarters deer and pigs to fit in them easily. Cheap and work for me. If it’s hot you will have to keep adding ice.

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 12:56 AM

A yeti would be amazing but I have already spent a good amount of money getting started in deer hunting and I still gotta buy a guide, so the igloo or colman is perfect for now.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 01:10 AM

Coleman Xtreme Marine 150 quart. Keeps ice for a few days and can hold a lot of meat.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 01:57 AM

I have a 120 qt Brute. It is not necessary for most of my hunting. But, a long hard ride non-stop from Amarillo to Houston gave me the cushion of no concern. Left Amarillo where it was 34°, by the time I hit Ft Worth it was close to 80°.

I don’t even shoot Whitetails any more. Don’t really like the meat unless it is all processed into sausage. Otherwise, I pass. My hunting of late has been birds. While a 48 qt works for most waterfowl it will just barely fit 4 Sandhill Cranes. Won’t make that mistake again.

My first love is Squirrels. 10 will fit in a 24 qt Playmate.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Yeti88
For those that put your game meat in coolers for transport, what size cooler do you use? Academy has a 100 quart cooler for around 100$ that I am thinking about getting.

If I mean business when I go and am going to get meat (3-4 deer) I take a couple 75 yetis full of ice and a 160qt Igloo. 4 deer quartered with backstraps & tenderloins along with trimmings from the necs easily fit into the igloo with plenty of room for ice.
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 05:07 PM

If you're not going too far, I think you're good with the Coleman/Igloo recommendations. The higher-end roto-molded coolers like Yeti, Brute/Bison, Pelican hold ice for MUCH longer but there are downsides (expensive, less capacity with similar dimensions because of the width of the cooler wall, and they are HEAVY). I second @krmitchell assessment, you can fit a whole deer (even a sizable buck) in a 65/70 cooler if you pack carefully. I've put a WT buck and doe (quartered) in a 100 qt Bison with plenty of ice for a long drive. But you need a friend to move that loaded thing around! smile
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 05:19 PM

I have a 75qt yeti that will hold 2 whitetails. That's quartered and trimmed.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 06:11 PM

Yeti 75 $449.99 vs Coleman Coastal Xtreme Series Marine Portable Cooler,120 Quart $55.00 for transporting deer a few times a year. Yeti if I want to let it sit a week without having to add ice i guess.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Cooler size - 10/15/20 10:50 PM

A yeti would be amazing but I have already spent a good amount of money getting started in deer hunting and I still gotta buy a guide, so the igloo or colman is perfect for now.

They all perform as designed but you gotta go with Yeti since it is your screen name. Just sayin

Re: Cooler size - 10/16/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by landsurveyor
[quote=Yeti88]A yeti would be amazing but I have already spent a good amount of money getting started in deer hunting and I still gotta buy a guide, so the igloo or colman is perfect for now.

They all perform as designed but you gotta go with Yeti since it is your screen name. Just sayin[/q

Haha ya you are right. I'll have to start a go fund me to get one lol
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Cooler size - 10/16/20 12:44 AM

the older I get the more I hate lugging a large cooler. I have found that a 60 quart will handle a quartered dear with plenty of ice for the weekend.
Posted By: jpdarby2

Re: Cooler size - 10/16/20 12:53 PM

If you live near the Igloo factory in Katy, TX they are having a close out sale. I am an Igloo guy myself, I believe they are a good combo of quality and price. I take a 120 qt hunting and never needed more space with a single deer or hog. I guess I like knowing I have extra space in case lighting strikes and I take more than one animal on a trip.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Cooler size - 10/16/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by landsurveyor
[quote=Yeti88]A yeti would be amazing but I have already spent a good amount of money getting started in deer hunting and I still gotta buy a guide, so the igloo or colman is perfect for now.

They all perform as designed but you gotta go with Yeti since it is your screen name. Just sayin[/q

Haha ya you are right. I'll have to start a go fund me to get one lol

clap

Re: Cooler size - 10/16/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jpdarby2
If you live near the Igloo factory in Katy, TX they are having a close out sale. I am an Igloo guy myself, I believe they are a good combo of quality and price. I take a 120 qt hunting and never needed more space with a single deer or hog. I guess I like knowing I have extra space in case lighting strikes and I take more than one animal on a trip.

I'll have to check that sale out.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Cooler size - 10/16/20 05:38 PM

I have a 60 quart that does okay for one average sized deer with room for ice. You have to "fit in" the sections.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Cooler size - 10/16/20 09:24 PM

I use a 145 most of the time. I can easily fit two axis or deer (quartered with neck and rib cage) and 20-30lbs of ice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum