Texas Hunting Forum

Late fawn

Posted By: Opening Day

Late fawn - 10/07/20 09:07 PM

I saw a fawn yesterday morning about daylight that couldn't have been more than three weeks old. I've never seen one this late. I texted my nephew and he said the same thing but he had one on one of his game cams. Go figure.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Late fawn - 10/07/20 09:16 PM

We had a fawn hit the ground the last week of August. It is still alive and eating!!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Late fawn - 10/07/20 11:44 PM

The wife and I have noticed that we’ve had a lot of late fawns this year. No idea why.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Late fawn - 10/08/20 02:34 PM

I was at the property in mid August and saw one that still had spots at the feeder, 4 days in a row. I think it was 1 of 2 that greeted me every morning and evening last week. They like that feeder. I'll say this about deer and human populations. When I was a kid down there, if a deer saw you, it was gone real quick like. Now, not so much. I had these 2 deer 70 yards from me one evening while i flushed and refilled my tractor's radiator. They kept an eye on me but didn't run. 30 years ago, that would have never happened.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Late fawn - 10/08/20 02:41 PM

Few years ago we were doing some trimming/feeder filling at the ranch. It was August 28th. Driving from one stand to the next we passed a doe/fawn that had literally just given birth, momma was still cleaning the baby up and it couldn't walk yet. Drove within feet of it and it was not the latest born fawn we saw. That puts bread date around mid to late February.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Late fawn - 10/08/20 03:03 PM

I have a few running around that are still in spots.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Late fawn - 10/08/20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Opening Day
I saw a fawn yesterday morning about daylight that couldn't have been more than three weeks old. I've never seen one this late. I texted my nephew and he said the same thing but he had one on one of his game cams. Go figure.

What area was this in?

I've seen tiny fawns before both in the HC and S Tx early in the season that were no doubt born late September to early October.

Gestation for WT deer is just under 7 months which means a doe bred in March 1 would fawn out about the 3rd week of September.

I've seen a nice buck hard after a doe the 2nd week of March near Garden Ridge in Comal County about 10-12 years ago.

This one you saw could have been born to a yearling doe that came into heat in late February or early March for the first time possibly
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Late fawn - 10/08/20 04:11 PM

I'm in east texas and I've got one very young fawn on camera. My guess about 3-4 weeks old.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Late fawn - 10/08/20 04:38 PM

We've got lots of dry does and several with really young fawns. I'm not sure why as our BtD ratio is very good now. Now that we have hogs, do you think they are part of the problem with the dry does? Did our deer not breed or did they get eaten young?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Late fawn - 10/08/20 09:13 PM

Lots of late ones this year at my ranch.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Late fawn - 10/09/20 12:42 PM

Not unusual in some areas to see late fawns if the buck to doe ratio is skewed to more does. Also not unusual in areas where fawns hit the ground in late April to early May for doe fawns to become large enough and old enough to breed in Feb or March in wet years. I have seen them in November...this photo was from the 9th of November one year.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Late fawn - 10/09/20 12:48 PM

We have late fawns every year to, our rut normally starts the last week of October or the first week of November but our buck doe ratio is out of whack. We typically kill our biggest deer within the first 7 days of the season chasing does however we see another round in late December and get tc pics every year pushing does in February.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Late fawn - 10/09/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by Opening Day

What area was this in?

I've seen tiny fawns before both in the HC and S Tx early in the season that were no doubt born late September to early October.

Gestation for WT deer is just under 7 months which means a doe bred in March 1 would fawn out about the 3rd week of September.

I've seen a nice buck hard after a doe the 2nd week of March near Garden Ridge in Comal County about 10-12 years ago.

This one you saw could have been born to a yearling doe that came into heat in late February or early March for the first time possibly

Lee County
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Late fawn - 10/09/20 04:29 PM

I was culling does last weekend and one doe at a feeder had an itty-bitty one that would not stop trying to nurse. I had to choose a momma with an older fawn. I'm a softie. deer
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Late fawn - 10/09/20 06:55 PM

I have more deer on my place in Dickens this year then in any previous 9 years. Usually see a max of 7 to 8. Yesterday I had 23 under my tree stand. 20 does and 3 bucks. More than half were fawns of various sizes. Several were very small with spots and the rest were older. Also we rarely have twins and there were multiple twins in the group. Although we are now in a severe drought the spring was wet and lush.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Late fawn - 10/09/20 11:57 PM

Early and late fawns are nature's way of making sure the species survives, though they may not have as good of a chance of survival during a typical year. Late or early fawns may do best when the seasons are out of kilter or when tragedy strikes during normal birthing season and then the late fawns survive better.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Late fawn - 10/10/20 12:17 AM

Saw two tiny full spotted fawns a few days ago couldnt have been more than a couple weeks old. Some just breed late.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Late fawn - 10/10/20 12:35 PM

Last week at the house. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Late fawn - 10/10/20 03:05 PM

I saw 2 fawns a week ago. They were following does that could t have been anything but last years fawns.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Late fawn - 10/17/20 12:20 AM

I have one behind my house on the golf course that still has spots also! - Montgomery County.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum