Texas Hunting Forum

Moving to Texas

Posted By: Yeti88

Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 02:42 PM

Hey everyone,

I am moving to Texas, San Angelo from D.C.(military). I have done a good amount of duck, goose and upland hunting but would like to get into big game. I'll be aiming for a couple doe/hog hunts this fall to get my feet wet and help fill up the freezer and put the new pellet grill to work. I am not really looking for big bucks right now because I would like to get it mounted and I won't have the money for that at the moment. I appreciate any tips/tricks that you guys have to offer, I am happy to help with anyone's leases/ranch/management land/program if they need an extra FREE hand for the day. Thanks all.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 02:54 PM

from the darkness to the light, welcome, welcome.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 02:58 PM

welcome and thanks for your service!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

X2
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:19 PM

Welcome to Texas, and, as always a big thanks for your service!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

flag texas
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:34 PM

Welcome

What you are looking for in a hunt likely does not exist. There are some affordable meat hunts out there. I don't know what it takes to be considered a resident of Texas for your licensing. But a non-resident license is kind of steep here in Texas. it may be quicker and more streamline for military personnel stationed in Texas I'm not sure on that procedure. Good luck
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Welcome

What you are looking for in a hunt likely does not exist. There are some affordable meat hunts out there. I don't know what it takes to be considered a resident of Texas for your licensing. But a non-resident license is kind of steep here in Texas. it may be quicker and more streamline for military personnel stationed in Texas I'm not sure on that procedure. Good luck

I believe they waive the residency requirement for Active Duty stationed in Texas. You may need to have a copy of your orders when you go get your license.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:50 PM

Look into military base hunts.
Posted By: Big8

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 03:50 PM

welcome and hope you find what your looking for this fall.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 04:51 PM

Thanks for your service. San Angelo is a great place surrounded by lots of good hunting.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 05:24 PM

For active duty military you can just go to Walmart with a copy of your pcs orders to get a hunting license. Texas waives the residency requirement. Now if you are a Texas resident on active duty the license is free as well. Some military post/based have hunting on them. Also some Texas National guard training areas have hunting on them as well. Although active duty and retirees are last on the list. Active Texas National guard members are first followed by the drill folks. Still it's a great benefit the state doesn't have to give and it's free. Perfect for a doe hunt.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 09:52 PM

welcome ta texasHF...
up for your service.
salute
flag
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 10:26 PM

There are a lot of Texas Drawn hunts and COE places you can still apply for, if you hurry
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 10:34 PM

flag texas

Welcome to Texas and also thanks for your service!
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 10:45 PM

Welcome to our wonderful state. Thanks for your service. Texas reflects it's greatness as it relates to their low cost license for our service members.
Good luck and fill your tags.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 11:16 PM

Welcome Yeti88! and thanks for your service up

Suggest reaching out to SapperTitan on this forum. He's retired military and guides on Ft Hood. Decent hunting there and only 2-3 hour drive from San Angelo.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 11:34 PM

flag
Posted By: AMF

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 11:45 PM

I've been here just since March. It's a whole 'nother planet. And you'll like it!
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/22/20 11:58 PM

Yeti88,

Welcome to the Lone Star State...which I think you'll find is as much a "state of mind" as it is a chunk of country! Thanks of course for your service to our Country; I suspect serving time in D.C. means that you'll never having to prove your bravery in any other way!

When are you pitching up in Angelo?

Mark
Posted By: hawk

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 12:16 AM

welcome
And thank you for your service! My SIL is a recruiter here. Plenty of hunting and fishing in the area!
Posted By: freerange

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 12:22 AM

Welcome to the forum and Texas, you should love them both. Thank you for your service.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 01:00 AM

And don’t forget the TSB factor. The minute you cross into Texas you get Taller, Stronger, Better looking.

It’ll help understand when good looking women throw underwear at you.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
And don’t forget the TSB factor. The minute you cross into Texas you get Taller, Stronger, Better looking.

Dang, do they do that in Groesbeck or Mart? Or do you have to go to Waco to have em thrown at ya?
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 01:22 AM

Ummmm, none of the above happened to me. confused2
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 01:25 AM

Welcome and thanks! up
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 01:45 AM

Well, when I moved to Texas I was young, lean, and handsome. Still in the Marine Reserve. So, I think women wanted to throw underwear at me, but were too shy. I think....a fellow needs an active imagination.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 12:05 PM

First and foremost thank you for serving very much.

The first thing you need to know is hunting deer in TX is not inexpensive in the least. Even a cheaper Hill Country type lease in your area is going to be $1,500/year or more without the cost of equipment and feed.
My advice would be to look for some management doe hunts where you may be able to find something where you can go shoot 2-3 does on a weekend for $400-$500 or maybe even less.

Last, welcome to Texas...….what took you so long?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 12:37 PM

Does Fort Hood still have a hunting program?
Posted By: Yeti88

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/23/20 08:41 PM

Hey all,
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'll have to keep an eye open for any open leases or management hunts. I am real excited to start exploring around some more. I'll be diving in on some of these threads so I don't ask so many repetitive questions. I found a site"West Texas Hunting Ranches" that I will be talking to for any guided hunts. Again I appreciate the help.
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/24/20 07:30 PM

Welcome and thanks for your service. There is a great place to hunt right there in San Angelo if you can get in on it. You are already too late to apply for the hunts, but they offer "Standby" hunts frequently for people who show up prior to the first hunt. If someone who was drawn fails to show up, that position is given away by a drawing to those who show up and hope for a standby position. Check the online catalog for "Drawn Hunts" in the TPWD website and you can find out the phone number of the office managing the hunts and give them a call a few days before the scheduled hunt and they can usually tell you if they expect to have any positions available for standby's. The down side to this is most of the hunts are conducted during the week and makes it difficult for most people who have to work for a living to attend. Good Luck and welcome to TX
Posted By: nesikabay

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/24/20 07:41 PM

Look into hunting around Winters or Ballinger north of San anglelo. I have a friend who is a Crop duster there. He has lots of places to hunt. If you cant find a place ill give you his info. He is retired Army he would let you hunt for free im sure
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/25/20 07:14 PM

Welcome to Texas, and thank you for your service! We moved here from the DC area (Northern VA) and consider ourselves fully naturalized Texans! smile

Glad to see more hunters moving to the state!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/26/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
First and foremost thank you for serving very much.

The first thing you need to know is hunting deer in TX is not inexpensive in the least. Even a cheaper Hill Country type lease in your area is going to be $1,500/year or more without the cost of equipment and feed.
My advice would be to look for some management doe hunts where you may be able to find something where you can go shoot 2-3 does on a weekend for $400-$500 or maybe even less.

Last, welcome to Texas...….what took you so long?

eeks333 lease's i was on were $200.00- $250.00 a gun for a year, buck only, some had 2 day's for doe...
Only 1 deer if remember right...
Pubic Land WMA's $40.00 it went up ta $48.00 permit... Ya get a booklet, learn the area's on the hog only hunts...
They hold some nice deer...

Whin i moved ta texas i was wanted in 50 states, ( low-income worker )
pappy

Was told by "credit adviser" leaseing tis a bad investment.. Their words...
We did the family hunts, tis how i grew up...
Many years of Awesome memories, Priceless...

scratch i'm on most people's ignorance list...
Their tis alteratives...
flag
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/26/20 03:45 PM

Damm....exactly where is this happening. I think I need to get out more.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/26/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by PMK

flag texas
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Moving to Texas - 09/26/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum