Texas Hunting Forum

"I had a farm in Afrika"

Posted By: Creekrunner

"I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/01/20 11:56 PM

A certain amazing taxidermist in Abilene reminded me today that there are some incredible deals going on right now for the countries that are open, specifically Zambia and Tanzania. 'Never been hunting in either one, but have flown into Lusaka and spent a couple of weeks in Zambia.

Anyone know anything more? I've been too depressed to wade into the old Africa hunting forum I used to frequent quite often. Everyone I've talked to agrees, the thought of wearing a mask 16-19 hours on a plane is daunting.

'Don't know if I have another trip over there left in me, but I'm interested in the braintrust's thoughts.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 12:21 AM

Love that picture.

Do it. I certainly would if I were able. What animals have you not taken that you’d like to?
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 12:28 AM

I have a cousin that has been to Africa several times and loves it. Said he will be going back again.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
Love that picture.

Do it. I certainly would if I were able. What animals have you not taken that you’d like to?

Leopard. They taunt me. 'Wife's maiden name is Leopard. True story. 'Want a Roan, and in Zambia the Lechwe are incredible. I could go on and on, but just being there is what I crave the most; the sounds, the smells, how little those people live on and are happy with. It's a real wake-up call that I need from time to time.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 12:36 AM

I have a friend that is over there right now hunting. He had to do a Covid test right before he left on his trip and not sure what else he had to do for the flight. He left about 3 weeks ago now. He has hunted both Zambia and Tanzania a lot and makes a trip over to Africa every year.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 01:25 AM

Africa!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Love that picture.

Leopard. They taunt me. 'Wife's maiden name is Leopard. True story. 'Want a Roan, and in Zambia the Lechwe are incredible. I could go on and on, but just being there is what I crave the most; the sounds, the smells, how little those people live on and are happy with. It's a real wake-up call that I need from time to time.

It’s a need, then. What are you waiting for?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 01:54 AM

I'll gladly go back as soon as is practical.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 01:56 AM

[quote=syncerus]I'll gladly go back as soon as is practical.

Nice one.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 09:35 AM

I went a couple of years ago. Did a package deal on a massive high fence place in South Africa. Expensive but you only live once.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 02:22 PM

Ive gone a couple times and have an uncle that operates over there. They were supposed to open Botswana back up this year for Elephants and that was a cluster F. We are going in 2022, looking to a Leopard hunt then.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 02:53 PM

Still on my dream bucket list...hopefully within the next few years
Posted By: syncerus

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/02/20 03:18 PM

A Cape Kudu from 2008:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: buck wild

Re: "I had a farm in Afrika" - 09/03/20 02:52 PM

To specifically answer your question: good deals in Tansia and Zambia still aren't cheap. These places are usually out of reach of the average American hunter's pocket book. Like I described it recently to another person- you can tell me $100k is a great deal for a Jaguar luxury car, doesn't mean I can afford it. Nambia, Zim and SA are more economically feasible for most. SA is still closed. Zim is starting to open but no easy way to get there yet, possibly Emirates. Nambia still ha s a few details to get worked out for international travel and the hunting seasons over there are rapidly coming to a close as their Spring season is springing. A lot of the SA outfitters are offering good deals BUT they want payment in full right now for 2021 season and who knows if they'll economically survive that long and be available when summer 2021 arrives. IMHO it's kinda risky except with maybe the larger operations or the occasional outfit that has revenue from other interests and not solely depend upon hunting/eco travel.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum