Texas Hunting Forum

How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range?

Posted By: Creek Henry

How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 02:07 AM

I really haven't shot a shotgun since last September. I shoot airsoft rifle, pistol and real rifle a lot. I'm not bad with those and I used to be pretty good with a shotgun. I shot a lot in college and I'm my 30s.

But since my son was born, it's been infrequent. Well I shot the elm fork dove course last week and 5 stand today. Dang if I haven't forgotten how to shoot clays. I will be relearning skeet then sporting clays starting tomorrow but I ask....

Has this happened to any of y'all? It's disheartening
Posted By: Gw123

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 02:19 AM

When I was shooting clays in 4-H I would practice 3-5 days a week. Trap one day, skeet the next, and five stand/whiz bang on the last. Then whatever on the other days. But since I got out of the 4-H I shoot a shotgun in September and September only and it really shows in my ability to shoot dove (go figure).
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 02:24 AM

I rarely go to the shotgun range anymore, but some years I do bird hunt a lot. Early in the first hunt or two of the year I may notice I am off a bit on accuracy, but I get dialed back in soon enough. We on the forum have done a couple GTG for fun, not a competition, sporting clay shoots at Elm Fork in the past. It was always fun. I remember on one of those, at the duck blind station I said I'm going to do this just like a real hunt. Shotgun leaning in the notch, safety on, not paying attention, and have the puller pull both clays at random, without me calling for them. Turned out I did the exact same thing I would have done with the first real duck of the year. I picked up the gun, followed through on the clay and squeezed the trigger. Nothing happens, so I subconsciously squeeze the trigger harder. Nothing happens again. First clay gone now, I take the safety off and miss the second one twice as it is now well out there.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 02:36 AM

I can no longer stand without assistance and I am also totally blind in my left eye, so now I am not the best of shots. I do shoot if I have an easy shot, but it is rare, but usually successful. My secret, I take my time, because I am out there for the good times.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 03:07 PM

I used to go to Lone Star Sporting Clays around 3-4 times a year until the owners retired and closed it. I haven't gone shooting anywhere since they closed down. I need to find another place to shoot sporting clays.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 03:15 PM

Zero I get my practice on dove. Never shot a clay target that tastes right.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 03:50 PM

I never practice with shotgun just go out and shoot dove a couple times a yr
Posted By: angus1956

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 04:18 PM

I've shot shotgun for over 55 years and 15 of thoes was competitive trap shooting. For me it's like riding a bicycle no practic needed.
We have a trap machine here at the house and I've introduced lots of young shooters to the shotgun sports.
It's pretty exciting when they figure it out and start breaking targets. The smiles are pretty big when they get it!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 04:29 PM

Shotgun shells were scarce during the big war. That somehow stuck with me. It seemed like practice was wasting shells. I took instinct shooting lessons from Lucky McDaniel and didn't need the practice as much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_McDaniel
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/23/20 06:21 PM

Wife & I shot Skeet nearly every Sunday after Church. We were both shooting 18-24 out of 25. Won't say I now never miss afield, but I don't practice a lot any more.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/24/20 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Wife & I shot Skeet nearly every Sunday after Church. We were both shooting 18-24 out of 25. Won't say I now never miss afield, but I don't practice a lot any more.

That's way above average,
cheers
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/24/20 12:42 AM

I shot 3 rounds of skeet this morning... I did better but I can t hit a left to right crossing nor the #7 low stand to save my life. I think I will shoot a few more rounds and then get lessons. I can go once or twice a week until it starts clickijg again.

This year has been rough, I can barely turn in a 10 min Mile (it was closer to 7 just five years ago), I'm only good for a couple rounds of kickboxing before I want to die, and 50 pushups is suddenly not obtainable if. I use any kind of form.

I didn't realize I was going to get old all of the sudden. Anyway, if I can't shoot what good am I? I still snipe people in the head play airsoft but it's just not the same getting dove in the bag!

But it sounds like consistent practice has the key as it is with most things
Posted By: Retired and hunting

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/24/20 02:39 AM

I can do a 10 minute mile on the bicycle,and stand and point,and blast a few crows every now and then.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/28/20 04:06 PM

I try and shoot two rounds of sporting clays at Elm Fork before dove season. I always get a round of sporting clays in before duck season.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/28/20 04:30 PM

I hit sporting clays once a quarter
Posted By: nocknload

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/30/20 04:19 PM

I shoot at Elm Fork aprox 250 rounds of sporting clays, skeet and 5-stand twice a week. I love the sport of sporting clays.
Posted By: TxDiver

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/30/20 05:05 PM

I try to get out to Elm Fork for a round of sporting clays at least once a month.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/30/20 05:16 PM

Does anyone know if Sam still works the 100 yard rifle range there?
Posted By: Espy

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/30/20 07:31 PM

We shoot clays a few times a year at the house. Usually have a few people over before dove season but not this year. Will be out Tuesday knocking down some birds.
Posted By: tigger

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/30/20 07:50 PM

I hate shooting clay pigeons and my shooting shows it.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/30/20 09:12 PM

I shoot sporting clays and five stand in a league at Elm Fork. I also shoot an occasional sporting clays tournament.
Posted By: gusick

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/30/20 09:57 PM

maybe once a year
Posted By: txlenchs

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/31/20 01:00 PM

Not enough...and too hot right now...they aren't opening till 11 on weekdays.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/31/20 01:05 PM

I shot sporting clays one time 15 years ago.
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/31/20 02:44 PM

Here in a few days I'll be wishing, again like every year, that I would have gone to the range and practiced more often. But oh well, its all good no matter.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: How often do you shotgunners practice/go to range? - 08/31/20 02:48 PM

Don't go to the range often but we will shoot 4 or 5 times a year with the electric thrower I bought. Everybody brings their own clays and ammo.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum