Texas Hunting Forum

Lost Hunting License?

Posted By: Gw123

Lost Hunting License? - 08/16/20 04:20 PM

What were to happen if you lose your license during the middle of deer season? It seems unlikely to me that they would just print you another one with five whitetail tags on it because it would be very easy for people to shoot more than their bag limit but still have legitimate tags to tag the extra deer with by just claiming it had been lost. Is it a one and done shot every year? I’ve never lost one and don’t know anybody who has but I’ve wondered about it sense I was a small child
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/16/20 07:19 PM

I think the charge from TPWD is about ten bucks.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/16/20 07:22 PM

It's 10 bucks.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/16/20 07:30 PM

My brother and my wife have both been asked when getting a replacement license if they had used any tags.
They had not as it was still before season but I am guessing they would have been shorted the amount of tags they had used.
I can see where this can be an abused trick to get more tags. If you process deer yourself, no one would ever know.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/16/20 07:50 PM

Every state to my knowledge has a process for issuing a duplicate license for one that has been lost or destroyed. As other note here in TX it is 10 bucks. In my native CO it is something like 25 bucks. As to defrauding the bag limit, that seems like a lot of work. Someone who is going to take more than the legal limit on deer isn't going to bother getting a duplicate license because that opens the door to getting asked questions. A poacher is just going to poach.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/16/20 08:49 PM

I lost mine one time and went back to the store I bought it from and they issued me a replacement. I am guessing it is just on the honor system. When I finally found the old one I called our local game warden and he asked a few questions and then told me to shred it. This was not during deer season so that might have made a difference. I imagine if you make a habit of doing it you might get a visit.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/17/20 01:34 PM

Get the app on your phone it will always be with you.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/17/20 01:50 PM

Just don't lose it.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/17/20 02:23 PM

as others have stated, you can get a replacement. One year the license holder I got at Academy was some type of plastic material, didn't think twice about it until opening weekend, put a doe on the ground, pulled out my license to find it was a blank sheet of paper on all outside surfaces that touched the plastic holder, the ink stuck to or rubbed off on the plastic. I used one of the interior tags that was still legible and called the TPWD about what I needed to do. They told me to go back to Academy, show them the license and they would issue a new replacement and remove any used tags.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/17/20 04:06 PM

when you get a replacement license you are required to report which tags you have used...then they x out those tags....basically by your signature, you are signing a legal Texas document...so if they catch you its no bueno...
Posted By: kk66

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/17/20 06:33 PM

Had it happen once, think it was $10 to replace and believe I had to give a sworn statement of how many tags I'd used
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/17/20 11:44 PM

I had that happen a few years ago. $10 to replace the license. I shot a doe, reached into my wallet and my tags were gone. Nearest replacement place was 50 miles away, also where my processors was. I made the choice to take the deer in buy the replacement in town an tag it there instead of driving in for the tag, driving back for the doe, then driving back again to the processors, and again back to camp.

Longest 50 miles in my entire life
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Lost Hunting License? - 08/18/20 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
Get the app on your phone it will always be with you.

That’s valid proof except for anything that requires a tag.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum