Texas Hunting Forum

What's on your pre-season buy list?

Posted By: Texas Dan

What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/16/20 01:53 PM

This may be my first hunting season ever that I'm not eyeing a new firearm or piece of hunting gear that I plan to purchase in the next month or two. While I simply have too much "stuff" as it is, I can see where folks might be cutting back this year due to the COVID situation. Still, there might be others who have already spent their stimulus money on something to enjoy in the outdoors.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/16/20 02:02 PM

I'm like you have everything and too much of it. I'd just like to see more doves at my place and a chance at a crossbow buck in Grayson county.
As we get older " Our stuff" becomes less important.
Posted By: booskay

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/16/20 02:47 PM

Main thing on my buy list is a larger TV for my living room. --------- yessssss,,, I"m old.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/16/20 02:52 PM

TP. I'm old too.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/16/20 03:48 PM

Allsups burritos.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/16/20 03:50 PM

Possibly a Mule. Just need to find the time and ambition to actually go look at them.
Posted By: Retired and hunting

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/16/20 04:24 PM

I'm kinda like Larry Potterfield,but I really do need a new pair of Lacrosse rubber boots
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/17/20 03:52 PM

Lots of Makers Mark, Jamison, and Shiner S'mores!

banana
Posted By: JB1316

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/17/20 03:57 PM

After my hike around the Sam Houston and giant blisters on my heels, I guess I need some thicker socks. Oh, and I've been really eyeballing a Browning Xbolt Western SS hunter in 6.5 creed online so probably that along with a new VX3i to top it off...
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/17/20 07:13 PM

On my list so far:
Maybe a couple trail cameras
Lightweight folding chair/stool for long glassing sessions
Spartan Precision Davros head for using my tripod as a shooting platform
Posted By: Papalote

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/17/20 09:37 PM

Corn and my annual jar of Mexican scamper juice. I got everything else I need,........I think.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/17/20 09:41 PM

.338 Win Mag rifle
.50 Cal muzzleloader pistol
Scopes for both

That’s about it (and I’m already done with the list).
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/17/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Lots of Makers Mark, Jamison, and Shiner S'mores!

banana

"Jameson". bolt
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/17/20 09:54 PM

Bought my first bolt gun this year, then the lease got sold. So maybe a new lease?

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/18/20 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stratgolfer
Bought my first bolt gun this year, then the lease got sold. So maybe a new lease?

Sounds about right for the year 2020.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/18/20 01:48 PM

[Linked Image]

....Had to satisfy my curiosity so finally picked up one of these....we'll see how it works.

...Had to google "Mexican scamper juice"....that one's got me curious as well.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/18/20 02:24 PM

Need to find someplace that has a decent muzzleloading selection. Bass Pro and Cabela's have bupkus (I have been to both in the last 2 weeks), maybe Scheels? I need some Muzzleloader bullets.... That's about all I need.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/18/20 03:02 PM

Mexican scamper juice aka Tequila Anejo.........

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/18/20 03:32 PM

[Linked Image] .... .... check
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/18/20 04:54 PM

Needs list????
Corn

Want List????
78% of the Cabela's catalogue
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/18/20 04:58 PM

Oats, wheat, and corn. Could also use some rain after the oats and wheat get planted.

The rest is pretty much good.
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/18/20 09:13 PM

Want to check out a Meopta Optika6 scope with the dichrotech reticle or the new Optika5 with 1"tube. Waiting on real-life reviews of the new Sako S20 as well. But I'd need to sell some stuff first!
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/19/20 12:18 AM

My purchase for the year was a Pelican Vault 2 rifle case. My old soft bag just doesnt cut it when the car is packed with hunting and camping stuff. Too much knockin around going on while traveling on bumpy roads getting back to places.

No worries now!
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/19/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
Need to find someplace that has a decent muzzleloading selection. Bass Pro and Cabela's have bupkus (I have been to both in the last 2 weeks), maybe Scheels? I need some Muzzleloader bullets.... That's about all I need.

You can order from BPS and Cabela’s online and have your stuff shipped to the store for free. That’s how I purchased my muzzleloader bullets this year.

Muzzle-loaders.com also has a good selection.
Posted By: maximum

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/19/20 12:39 AM

When I started in the 80s, there were some well stocked gun
shops that had more muzzleloading things than you could
order from the mail order outfits.
I can't even think of any place still in business in the metroplex
that has anything anymore besides bass and cow bellies
Posted By: maximum

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/19/20 12:41 AM

Is there even a place to buy Goex anymore ? ( at a reasonable price)

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/19/20 03:07 AM

I need more muzzy bullets too,I loaded all my shockwaves in the 450 bushmaster.Maybe I'll just use the XTPs in the accura 😄
Posted By: txlenchs

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/20/20 02:33 AM

New bino's (Vortex Diamondback HD)
New Higdon Pulsar
New Mojo's - teal and dove

Besides that all good

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/20/20 04:26 PM

Something I might suggest if you don't already own a pair are Bluetooth-enabled ear buds. I enjoy listening to ball games, talk radio, and even some old tunes while spending most of the morning or afternoon in a deer blind. I actually found and bought a single earbud since I knew I wanted to keep one ear completely open while having the audio turned down low in the earbud in my other ear. After all, it really doesn't take much volume once you're in the deer woods. I also found a Bluetooth transceiver to connect to my old pocket radio so I wouldn't have to buy a new one. Because of the limited cell coverage in the area where I hunt, a radio is my best option. I just have to be careful and remember where I'm at when my team scores.

In addition to college football games, the Texas Farm Bureau Ag Report that airs early on Saturday mornings is one of my favorite radio programs to listen to while in the deer blind.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/20/20 04:33 PM

Coveralls for my granddaughter.

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/22/20 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Adchunts

You can order from BPS and Cabela’s online and have your stuff shipped to the store for free. That’s how I purchased my muzzleloader bullets this year.

Originally Posted by Retired and hunting
I need more muzzy bullets too,I loaded all my shockwaves in the 450 bushmaster.Maybe I'll just use the XTPs in the accura 😄

Yeah I am going to have to do the online thing, I am afraid. @Adchunts, I don't know if this is what you are after but Atwoods in Waxahachie has a Traditions .50 cal pistol kit.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/22/20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Something I might suggest if you don't already own a pair are Bluetooth-enabled ear buds. I enjoy listening to ball games, talk radio, and even some old tunes while spending most of the morning or afternoon in a deer blind. I actually found and bought a single earbud since I knew I wanted to keep one ear completely open while having the audio turned down low in the earbud in my other ear. After all, it really doesn't take much volume once you're in the deer woods. I also found a Bluetooth transceiver to connect to my old pocket radio so I wouldn't have to buy a new one. Because of the limited cell coverage in the area where I hunt, a radio is my best option. I just have to be careful and remember where I'm at when my team scores.

In addition to college football games, the Texas Farm Bureau Ag Report that airs early on Saturday mornings is one of my favorite radio programs to listen to while in the deer blind.

I think I would draw the line listening to music/talk radio while hunting.

I’ll read and scroll on my phone ( pre iPhone days I always brought a book or magazine when in a blind ) but I couldn’t jam out while hunting. I have to have some separation between the new world and the old
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/22/20 11:00 PM

I second Muzzle-loaders.com. good selection and great prices.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/22/20 11:01 PM

Another scope.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/22/20 11:13 PM

Texas resident super combo......
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/23/20 03:07 AM

Just bought a Super Combo online. I am never waiting in line at Cabelas or Academy again.

I normally take a book to the stand, usually a reloading manual. Read a page, look around, etc.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/23/20 05:49 AM

I just ordered Benchmade knife and smaller Anza skinning knife for some God unknown reason other than wants and getting a little bonus at work next week justifies it I guess.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/23/20 09:19 AM

I have already spent to much. Seems like I am updating all my equipment this year. New waders, Jacket, decoys, binos…
Posted By: sbushee

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/23/20 11:46 PM

My own hunting place
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/24/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by sbushee
My own hunting place

Good Luck

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/24/20 02:33 AM

A beautiful knife from MikeC
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/24/20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Coveralls for my granddaughter.

Winner!!!!

Corn and AA batteries
Posted By: Stetsonoverton

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/24/20 02:27 PM

got mine this weekend, pair of leica rangefinding binos
Posted By: preston629

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/25/20 04:33 PM

Lazy boy recliner for my pop up blind

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/25/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by preston629
Lazy boy recliner for my pop up blind

Prolly why I don't kill as many as I used to,but man I can sleep good
Posted By: don k

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/25/20 10:35 PM

1st. generation 1967 Camaro.

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/26/20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by don k
1st. generation 1967 Camaro.

up ...now we're talkin'

Re: What's on your pre-season buy list? - 08/28/20 10:59 AM

I’ll read and scroll on my phone ( pre iPhone days I always brought a book or magazine when in a blind ) but I couldn’t jam out while hunting. I have to have some separation between the new world and the old [/quote]

Originally Posted by Retired and hunting

Yeah I am going to have to do the online thing, I am afraid. @Adchunts, I don't know if this is what you are after but Atwoods in Waxahachie has a Traditions .50 cal pistol kit.

As it turns out, Scheels has a pretty decent muzzleloader section, my parents evacuated up here to get away from Laura and my Dad asked if I would take him. So I was able to get what I needed
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum