Texas Hunting Forum

Bachelor Groups

Posted By: TxHunter87

Bachelor Groups - 08/11/20 05:34 PM

I have 1 buck that isnt in a Bachelor Group

From everything I have Googled i cant find anything about bucks not joining groups.

I did see it say that older deer may not join a group but this one doesn't seem very old, are there other reasons?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/11/20 09:16 PM

IME when I see one lone buck it is normally due to him being orphaned. He is at that feeder so my guess is his mother was killed/died at or close to that feeder. He is staying close to the area he is familiar with. On my place here I have seen a few bucks over the past 8 yrs that for some reason will run by themselves. Granted most will be in bachelor groups this time of the year but I have seen younger and even mature bucks alone every year. I also have feed pens and have wondered if for some reason one buck was not afraid of jumping into the pen and the other(s) with him would not jump in the pen. In the trail cam pics I will see one in my feed pens but can sometimes see one walking around the pen in a pic.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/13/20 04:58 PM

He will join one soon!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/13/20 05:00 PM

Social Distancing
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/13/20 11:41 PM

Nice feeder
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/16/20 11:32 PM

I have a group of four deer that I see over and over. Two does, a fat little fawn and a buck about the size of the one in the original post. That buck has been hanging with the two does for some time now.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/16/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ringtail
I have a group of four deer that I see over and over. Two does, a fat little fawn and a buck about the size of the one in the original post. That buck has been hanging with the two does for some time now.

Some guys are just Momma's Boys. I have at least one son-in-law that qualifies. laugh
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/17/20 06:15 PM

While bachelor groups exist...but it is not like it is a 100% type of thing. Some bucks join a group....some bucks don't. My anecdotal experience has been that the better a single food source (e.g., nice green field, 1000 lb protein feeder) the more likely to have true groups. If you have dispersed food sources....like most of Texas west of I-45...bucks don't have to roam for food. They typically just stand up and start feeding and may or may not visit a corn feeder.
Posted By: TxHunter87

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/18/20 06:45 PM

EastTxBound, i got mixed feelings about that feeder but thanks.

and i understood not 100% of bucks will join a group, i just couldn't find any reasoning as to why. i could only find information about the groups.

In this case i think stxranchman might be right b/c if i remember correctly i had this button buck showing up last year with a doe. the doe got taken but the button didn't stop coming.

maybe in another 3 years this will pay off
Posted By: Chronotrigger

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/19/20 11:04 PM

Near Milam/Williamson county line. Wish they would have been a little closer.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrotherD

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/20/20 01:24 PM

Not a bad group at all!
Posted By: HawgHater

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/22/20 03:02 AM

[Linked Image]

Not a great quality pictures but this is one of the bachelor groups I have roaming around. This was right at the line of using black and white and IR and staying color.
Posted By: Chronotrigger

Re: Bachelor Groups - 08/22/20 11:27 PM

Good looking group of bucks!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum