Texas Hunting Forum

When just a little man-made breeze can help

Posted By: Texas Dan

When just a little man-made breeze can help - 08/03/20 11:54 PM

Earlier I posted in the DIY section how you can use a 6-volt lantern battery to re-charge your cell phone or power other electronics that use a USB connection whenever AC power is not available. I just happened to notice a small fan in Walmart the other day that comes with a USB connector and decided to see how long it might run on a 6-volt battery. It's been more than five hours and it's still blowing just as much air as when it first started, which is plenty long enough to make a deer or hog blind a little more bearable in the Texas heat. Very quiet too.

This fan cost about $6 and includes a stand that looks like it could also be hung on the railing of a tripod or similar type stand. I don't think I spent over $20 for everything you see in the photo below.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: When just a little man-made breeze can help - 08/04/20 12:12 AM

We always have the real thing, most of the time too much of it.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: When just a little man-made breeze can help - 08/04/20 01:10 PM

I swear by these little fans on amazon. I use them in the blind and when I travel. It comes with two batteries which can be used to charge a phone also. One battery on the second setting will last all night. They are life savers in a blind during Texas summers.

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-10400...ndheld+fan&qid=1596546614&sr=8-5
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: When just a little man-made breeze can help - 08/04/20 10:34 PM

For those who might be interested in building one of these, in the Auto/Electrical Isle at Walmart you should find a dual cigarette lighter cable adapter much like the one shown at the link below that can be used to make two cables and receptacles for connecting to a 6-volt battery. The one that I found has a USB charging port in the plug which allows you to use it and one of the receptacles to power the fan. You'll need to add a pair of alligator clips to the wires to finish the project. Remember, the center contact of the plug and receptacle should be connected to the positive lead on the battery.

Of course you could just cut the USB connector off the end the power cable for the fan and connect alligator clips to it but the setup below gives greater flexibility in powering other devices.

Dual cigarette lighter adapter

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: When just a little man-made breeze can help - 08/04/20 11:44 PM

Pretty cool gadget, My 18 volt Ryobi fan will blow you out of the blind. Less fuss.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum