Texas Hunting Forum

Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge?

Posted By: ben schmidt

Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/03/20 03:11 PM

So in about 6 months I will be turning 18, and I plan on buying a Mossberg 500 in 12 Gauge, but I'm a bit concerned about 12 gauge destroying the meat of Rabbits and Squirrels and other small game, I know that there's 12 gauge small game loads but I wonder if even that is too much for them.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/03/20 03:19 PM

We shoot dove with 12's all the time and they are small. Just shoot a super light load and don't shoot em to close up and I reckon you'll be fine.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/03/20 03:21 PM

They work great. Just shoot them in the head if you are real close, otherwise no issues. Dove are smaller than rabbits and most of them are plenty edible after being shot

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/03/20 03:21 PM

Alright, my dad also has a few .22s I can use so that will come in handy, thank you for your advice.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/03/20 03:22 PM

Load that new Mossberg 12 Gauge with #6 shot and you should be good to go. If you are worried about meat destruction use a modified choke instead of a full choke.

A shotgun is the most versatile firearm out there. Pattern test some different loads to see what your shotgun likes.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/03/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by LeonCarr
Load that new Mossberg 12 Gauge with #6 shot and you should be good to go. If you are worried about meat destruction use a modified choke instead of a full choke.

A shotgun is the most versatile firearm out there. Pattern test some different loads to see what your shotgun likes.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/03/20 03:25 PM

Yeah, that's why I love shotguns, you can kill anything from a prairie dog to a elephant with one.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/04/20 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by ben schmidt
So in about 6 months I will be turning 18, and I plan on buying a Mossberg 500 in 12 Gauge, but I'm a bit concerned about 12 gauge destroying the meat of Rabbits and Squirrels and other small game, I know that there's 12 gauge small game loads but I wonder if even that is too much for them.

I have had my Mossberg 500 12GA for 38 years and have killed 1000's of animals with it. You may destroy some but overall just shoot and don't worry about it.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/04/20 03:27 AM

It will work just fine, just don't shoot them too close. up
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/04/20 04:47 AM

If you are real close just hold off of it bit when pointing the shotgun so you don't mangle it. You will figure it out just fine.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/04/20 06:52 PM

No telling how many squirrels my grandpa shot with his trusty old Remington humpback 12 gauge. My grandma could make a mean pot of squirrel and dumplings. Grandpa was partial to 7 1/2 shot, but would use whatever he found on sale.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Can you hunt small game with a 12 Gauge? - 08/05/20 02:12 AM

Have hunted Squirrels for 40 years with a 12 gauge, #5 shot which Remington now calls Pheasant loads.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum