Texas Hunting Forum

Any handgun hunters on here

Posted By: Giblett

Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 01:01 AM

Been trying to go rifleless the past two years. Shot a few pigs with the 10mm and a few deer with the 44 one with the 460. Goals this year pig with the 500jrh and another buck with the Stealth Hunter 44 mag and give the squirrels a try with 22 pistol with a red dot.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 01:06 AM

I used to, but it was only with the Thompson Contenders.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 01:24 AM

Shot deer, pigs, elk with handguns. I have had contenders, but I think all the hunting i did was with revolvers, can't remember now for sure. Still have my 475, but mostly bowhunting now. Handgun hunting is lots of fun
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 01:26 AM

Shot or killed bolt
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 01:32 AM

How do you like your JRH? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: safarigene

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 01:36 AM

Plan on trying my 454 Casull on a pig this year.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by TCM3
Shot or killed bolt

If you are asking me, i guess killed would have been more accurate :-)
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 12:15 PM

Never have but I'd like to take one with my 44 mag. It would have to be bow range for me.

Weird story, but cousin shot a buck with his 45 Long Colt one time, dropped in his tracks. We went over to the buck to recover him and as we stood there talking about it we noticed he was looking at us, then he raised his head. We cut his throat and got to looking for the bullet hole. We came to discover that the bullet hit him right where his antler came out and didn't even penetrate, just cut the skin, must have knocked him out, as it was a few minutes from the shot. Not a good story of shot placement or clean kill but kinda crazy.

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 12:17 PM

Bought it a few months ago and may have put 75 rounds through it pretty accurate so far on a few loads. Recoil is like full 44 mag with the 950fps loads with 440gr. Bullets and goes up sharply with more speed. The fit and finish is good on the BFR revolvers. Waiting on my Trijicon mount to arrive this week so I can get serious about load development and accuracy. Brass is high dollar only downfall and right now 50 cal components seem to be in stock. 350 grain Sierra shot real good with open sights just ran out of elevation adjustments. I wear a weight lifting glove when shootinh all my heavy kickers even hunting . If you go full throttle with this one and not pay attention might get a tap on the forehead recoil is fast . I talked to Jack and he said those 440's at 1000fps were plenty good for most anything.

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 12:19 PM

Bought it a few months ago and may have put 75 rounds through it pretty accurate so far on a few loads. Recoil is like full 44 mag with the 950fps loads with 440gr. Bullets and goes up sharply with more speed. The fit and finish is good on the BFR revolvers. Waiting on my Trijicon mount to arrive this week so I can get serious about load development and accuracy. Brass is high dollar only downfall and right now 50 cal components seem to be in stock. 350 grain Sierra shot real good with open sights just ran out of elevation adjustments. I wear a weight lifting glove when shootinh all my heavy kickers even hunting . If you go full throttle with this one and not pay attention might get a tap on the forehead recoil is fast . I talked to Jack and he said those 440's at 1000fps were plenty good for most anything.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 01:00 PM

I've done a little bit in the past few years. Mostly with my Contender in 44 mag. I did manage a little pig with a glock 43. I hope to get a big buck and a bobcat to complete my version of a slam at my place.

Attached picture IMG_20180615_204659_442.jpg
Attached picture 20180518_205244-1.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20180408_091626_171-1.jpg
Attached picture 20180505_114220-1.jpg
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 07/29/20 05:45 PM

Have been handgun hunting for 25 years or so. Started off with a Ruger 22/45 target pistol for squirrels. Bought a T/C Custom Shop 12” barrel for my Encore in .300 Whisper, and killed deer with that for quite a while. Picked up a .44 Mag barrel for the Encore, and killed some more deer, along with a nice bobcat. Lost both my Whisper barrel and .44 barrel in the divorce (stolen by ex’s POS son). Bought another .44 Mag barrel, and want to have a .300 BLK barrel built to replace the Whisper.

Also have a Glock G40 (10mm) with a Burris FF3 that I have not had time to hunt with. Shooting an Axis or pig with it is on my to-do list.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/01/20 01:06 PM

A little. I have a ladder stand on my place that I sit every now and then. Definitely a fair weather stand. The primary "kill zone" is a hay patch that spreads out directly in front of the stand, but there's a tree line on a dry creek bed about 25 yards to the right that deer pop out of now and then. Lots easier (and quieter) for a righty like me to get a revolver from a chest holster on target than trying to swing the rifle around. I used to carry a 6" Python, which did the job admirably. Now I carry a S&W Model 58 in .41 Magnum. Don't worry, I still have the Python. I just retired it to the safe and a little range time now and then. Haven't had a chance with the 'Smith yet, but I have no doubt it'll do just fine if and when the time comes.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/04/20 03:24 AM

Haven't hunted with a handgun yet but with the way things are going looks like I might get that chance... roflmao
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/05/20 12:19 AM

Started hunting with a .22 in the early 1970s. By the late 70s I had a Blackhawk in .45 colt. Several does, couple buck, lost count on the hogs, a few javelinas and one very surprised coyote that he was safe at about 85 yds.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/05/20 12:42 AM

Just got this .44 Mag, not sure what to do with it yet (typical Buzz) but will probably scope or red dot it for hunting cuz my eyes are too messed up to focus the front sight on the shoulder of a live animal. Love this gun though, its a Hoss !!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/05/20 12:51 AM

I've taken wtd, rabbits and squirrels with my Ruger single actions.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/05/20 01:56 AM

98 was my handgun hunting debut with a 270 AI Encore. Took an East Texas whitetail with it @ 200 yds.. Hunted a lot with a Ruger Hunter 45 LC. I now have an FA 454, SW 460 & Ruger 480 Bisley.

Anxiously awaiting season opener.

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/05/20 02:02 AM

Nice BFR I just mounted a Trijicon on my 500jrh and working on some loads wish the dot was smaller but I'm hitting a 3 inch dot at 50 yards but recoil takes a toll after 15 or so shots so I shoot every few days I call it the poor man's freedom arms.l should have got that Bisley grip that rubber one on mine has destroyed my shooting glove 44's and 460 helped too.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/05/20 03:31 PM

I am about to start my 3rd season without a long gun. 6 deer in last 2 years. 4 with xbow, and 2 with 30-30 10in TC. LOVE IT. Took one of my biggest bucks ever with the TC open day of last year.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/05/20 03:36 PM

I shot a sow off hand with my 1911 .45 ACP at about 80 yards....laid her over DRT! I was shocked....but, wouldn’t necessarily call it hunting as more just taking advantage of an opportunity with what I had available....
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/06/20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Giblett
Nice BFR I just mounted a Trijicon on my 500jrh and working on some loads wish the dot was smaller but I'm hitting a 3 inch dot at 50 yards but recoil takes a toll after 15 or so shots so I shoot every few days I call it the poor man's freedom arms.l should have got that Bisley grip that rubber one on mine has destroyed my shooting glove 44's and 460 helped too.

thanks, which Trijicon are you using? i feel they should hold up to the recoil
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/07/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Giblett

Interesting where you chose to put your punctuation.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/07/20 08:01 AM

I hunt pigs and deer with my 460XVR. 315 grain SWC kicking around 2100-2150 FPS. Topped with a Burris FF2, on a rest I can keep a 3-4 inch group at 100 with 5 shots.

I’ve killed snakes with a Ruger MK1, 22LR. Armadillos, skunks, and coons with a Ruger Blackhawk 45lc. A doe that was merely feet outside my pop up blind with a Kimber 1911 45ACP.

Really thinking about a TC pistol in 6mm-30cal that will support my suppressor.

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/07/20 12:26 PM

I am using the 3.25 dot it's not adjustable. I think the Burris would be fine on the 44 mag and you can dim it down late in the evening. If you go with the Trijicon you will have to buy a weaver mount adapter which is 130 bucks. Google brf red dot mounts and can get a few more ideas on mounts. I had mine on a S&W and want to go to a Raptor mount and ff3 on it. The ultra dot tube sights will mount right up on that weaver rail no problem and hold up to recoil but they are butt ugly. The smaller the dot and dimmable are the best for hunting. Also working on some 44 mag loads with Rimrock 240 grain cast hollow point that are super accurate and not a lot of recoil that should work fine on deer.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/09/20 12:30 AM

Mostly handgun hunt now
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/09/20 01:34 AM

I have hunted off and on since the early 90s with handguns. Started with a TC Contender in 7-30 Waters and still hunt with it some. Have used a few other calibers in the Contender as well. 44 Mag, 7mmTCU and 45-70. All worked well. Now days it is either with the 7-30 Waters, Runer Super Blackhawk stretch in 357 Max. Sercurity Service 357 and S&W PC hunter package 44 Mag. It is lots of fun. On occasion I have killed deer inside 25 yards with Kimber 45ACP and Sig 239 in 357 Sig. Plus small game with 22 and 32 H&R. Handgun hunting is a lot of fun
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/10/20 10:56 PM

I have not killed with a long gun in 2 years. 5 deer. 2 with a TC. Including this nice one opening day last year.....

TC 30/30 with 10in barrel

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Retired and hunting

Re: Any handgun hunters on here - 08/15/20 02:09 AM

Hunted for several years with a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt, Hammered a few hogs and a mulie doe. Last year I got a T/C with a super 14 7-30 waters barrel and worked up a load right before season. Took a nice 7point and two Barbados 😄
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum