Texas Hunting Forum

Fun with ticks!

Posted By: Creekrunner

Fun with ticks! - 07/14/20 11:57 PM

Someone on here, forgive me, but I can't remember who, suggested this thing. It works!

[Linked Image]

I know what I'm getting everyone on my Christmas list. banana
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 12:12 AM

I saw a commercial for that thing
Posted By: kry226

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 02:49 AM

There is no fun with ticks... salute
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 03:19 AM

use Sawyer tick spray and you won't need that thing.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by kry226
There is no fun with ticks... salute

Agree!
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 11:43 AM

My wife has "Essential Oils" and puts a drop on it then within a minute or two its pulls its head out, starts to walk
and then that s when I get it and smash it or put some other hurt on them.
Posted By: don k

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 11:47 AM

Since we have fire ants I have not had a tick on me in years.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 11:52 AM

Good info...my wife recently got one on her.....don’t use what we were taught growing up.....hot needle I found out will make them regurgitate bacteria into your body.......you end up with a swollen itchy bite for several weeks.....no bueno....

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Z
use Sawyer tick spray and you won't need that thing.

I spray Repel on me religiously, after a bout with tick fever. I refuse to take a bath in it though.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 12:17 PM

Creek, there is no such thing as "fun with ticks"
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 02:05 PM

I'll see your tick and raise you fifteen hundred chiggers. realmad
Posted By: PMK

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 02:14 PM

I carry a zip lock bag that contains an old sock filled with Seven dust, upon getting out of the truck, I take the sock and bang it around on my legs, haven't had a tick in decades
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 02:36 PM

I get ticks on me all the time here and I have tons of fire ants. I got bit by a tick that was infected 2 yrs ago in August and was on Doxy for 2 rounds to fight the infection. That tick was not on me more than a minute or two at most when it bit me on the back of my neck above my collar. The next day it was swollen and my lymph nodes on both sides of my neck were enlarged. I found a tick crawling on my two days ago now after checking a trail cam by a stock tank. In years where the ticks are really bad I can see them on the bucks antlers during the antler growing months. You can see one on the top of the right browtine on this buck..the pic was taken in late August 2014.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 05:32 PM

I hate ticks. Seems like no matter what I do they always leave a red swollen bite that itches for weeks. Since I was a kid dad used hot needle alcohol on a cotton ball nail polish and tweezers to get them off. Now I just pull them off. During the summer in tick country I wear jeans a tucked in t-shirt and a long sleeve shirt over it and heavily apply OFF to all clothing seams around fists neck douse my hat in it, waist etc.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 05:42 PM

I've had pretty good luck with the Repel in the red spray can specifically for ticks.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 05:43 PM

Hate them ticks! Some years ago I pulled one off my ankle after walking the pasture. Several days later I broke out with a rash, fever and dehydration ( urine looked like coffee) for almost a week. mad
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BayouGuy
I'll see your tick and raise you fifteen hundred chiggers. realmad

Seems even to me...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/15/20 08:22 PM

Ill never forget after graduating from high school my brother, myself, and a cousin took a trip to north east texas and went hog hunting on Old Sabine Bottom WMA. The first morning we tromped through a bunch of brush and upon further inspection at lunch each of us had about 20-30 ticks. Me and the cousin bathed in OFF and my brother tuffed it out without. That evening brother had about same number as at lunch 20-30, but my cousin and I only had maybe 5 each. It was a tuff 3 days in the summer heat with no bath tent camping, but we survived and even had fun and we did kill us a hog.
Posted By: Rounder

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/16/20 02:43 AM

Ticks are bad chiggers are worse.
Posted By: Ratherbefishing

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/16/20 02:49 AM

For some reason, I was itching when I got to the end of this thread...

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/16/20 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by PMK
I carry a zip lock bag that contains an old sock filled with Seven dust, upon getting out of the truck, I take the sock and bang it around on my legs, haven't had a tick in decades

This is the logical next step for me.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/16/20 03:45 AM

Rather have a few ticks than a hundred chiggers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/16/20 03:45 AM

The only vermin I hate worse is leeches.

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/16/20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by PMK

This is the logical next step for me.

works on ticks and chiggers ... I am a magnet for any type of these blood suckers including mosquitoes, Thermocell fixed the mosquitoes and I carry it religiously. I actually have two of the Seven dust socks in my truck, one in a zip lock in the back floorboard and one in a plastic Folgers coffee can in the tool box. Thermocell and Deep Woods Off in the passenger side door pocket.

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/16/20 01:52 PM

when I was a young kid, circa mid 1960s, we hunted on top of White Bluff overlooking Lake Buchanan, there was a huge artisan spring up on top, with the creek flowing from it over the face of the bluff. One day out hunting with dad, we got bored and started playing in the creek, building little spreader dams. Upon getting home a few hours later, the lower portion of my body was literally covered in seed ticks, looked like course ground black pepper on my legs up to my waist. My dad put me in a tub of hot water with baking soda, used a fingernail brush scrubbing me to get all those little boogers off, the water was covered in miniature ticks, several times filled the tub to get them all gone. I ran a fever for a week or two and itching like you can not imagine. Every since then, anytime I've had one attach, I get a quarter size whelp that lasts for weeks. I really try to avoid them like the plague. Another trick that dad found, was if they were attached, use a q-tip and Campho-Phenique, dob that on the tick, the oils & camphor seem to make them pull their head out/detach, doesn't leave near as bad of a whelp.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/17/20 03:48 AM

When I have to gut a deer I put on a white shirt- backwards. Gloves with duck tape between gloves and shirt sleeves. I guess I'm a dude. Hey....do dudes gut deer?.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/17/20 04:56 PM

Back in the late sixties I killed a nice mule deer in Brewster co. that had worn 70 % of his hair off his brisket, Loaded him up and took him home to Midland and hung him in the shop as it was cold. Next morning the shop floor was covered with ticks,guess they ran out of food. Had a cousin had a tick on his side after baling hay and removed it by using Vasoline to cut off their air and they back out and you want leave the head in the skin. Next morning he had a large red circle around the bite area, went to doctor and he sent him to Abilene and he had Lyme disease and took shots 2-3 times a week for 2-3 months. Bad stuff

Re: Fun with ticks! - 07/17/20 05:09 PM

I was tested for Lyme last year, when I had that tick fever. 'Came back negative.

I'm a big fan of Campho-phenique.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum