Texas Hunting Forum

Big boar question

Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Big boar question - 06/29/20 03:58 PM

I shot this big boar hog over the weekend. I plan to turn most of it into dog food and chicken food, however, I want to cook/smoke the backstraps and maybe a front shoulder.

What is the best tenderizer or marinade for huge pigs? Will anything make it taste good or should I make it all dogfood?

THF experts please help

[Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 04:04 PM

To me it depends on the individual hog.

if he smelled i wouldn't mess with it. We have enough sows I no longer butcher boars at all. But I have butchered boars that size that were great eating and ones that were 1/3 his size that stunk to high heaven.

Cut the top off the front shoulder, from the elbow joint up to the scapula. That is what a boston butt roast is. Leave it on ice for a few days, then brine it for 24 hours and smoke it then pull.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 04:08 PM

Nice hog! It will taste fine as long as you handle the meat correctly. The stink on the outside won't affect the flavor. A big ol' boar isn't going to be as tender as young shoat, but low and slow in a smoker will make it more than edible. Best ham I've ever had was off of a 300+ boar that stunk to high heaven.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 04:30 PM

Soak it in buttermilk for a couple of days. Slice a pocket into the back strap and stuff with pineapple slices. Rub the whole thing in mustard or olive oil and generously apply spices. Wrap the whole thing completely in bacon strips and then slow cook it for hours at no more than 250. Take it out cover with foil and let it rest. Then throw it away.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Then throw it away.

Was waiting for the payoff.
up
Posted By: MikeD77

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 04:42 PM

Processing and cooking boars over about 100 lbs has been hit or miss with me over the years, but because of more misses I don't mess with cooking them. Last one I butchered was only about 125 lbs and didn't have an odor at all. We tried to make it work in every way possible, but ended up giving it away to the parents of one of our foster kids it was so bad and I don't think they ate it either.
Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 05:25 PM

I fell out of my chair from laughing so hard..... Thanks everyone for the responses. My dog loves the free range, 100% organic dog food
Posted By: freerange

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Then throw it away.

Was waiting for the payoff.
up

Hud always delivers.

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 07:59 PM

We used to take fat hogs to process, but it was always sows with some occasionally being 200 pounds or so. Would try to harvest four a year. The Hudspawns grew up and became strong on pig meat. Inch thick pork chops, 3/4 inch ham steaks with the remainder being ground pork. Would occasionally skin out big back straps and cook as referenced above only never soaked them in buttermilk.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 08:02 PM

Cover it with brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.

Re: Big boar question - 06/29/20 08:07 PM

I forgot brown sugar
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Big boar question - 07/01/20 02:11 PM

I would process that whole hog and my family and friends would eat the whole thing. You just have to know how to cook wild hog to maximize flavor and texture, it can't be cooked like domestic pork and expect the same results. Congratulations, that's a nice fat hog!! clap
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Big boar question - 07/01/20 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
Nice hog! It will taste fine as long as you handle the meat correctly. The stink on the outside won't affect the flavor. A big ol' boar isn't going to be as tender as young shoat, but low and slow in a smoker will make it more than edible. Best ham I've ever had was off of a 300+ boar that stunk to high heaven.

cheers wash hog off best ya can, keep knife clean...
flag
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Big boar question - 07/01/20 03:08 PM

Soak it in buttermilk for a couple of days. Slice a pocket into the back strap and stuff with pineapple slices. Rub the whole thing in mustard or olive oil and generously apply spices. Wrap the whole thing completely in bacon strips and then slow cook it for hours at no more than 250. Take it out cover with foil and let it rest. Then throw it away.

rofl
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Big boar question - 07/02/20 09:12 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Big boar question - 07/02/20 11:22 PM

My approach to wild boar is the coyotes and buzzards have to eat too.

I was a member of a lease once where younger boars caught in live traps were castrated and the wound treated with diesel. Then they were spray painted with markings so they could be identified later. Any of them that showed up at a feeder a few months later where shot for their meat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum