Texas Hunting Forum

High Fence Hunting?

Posted By: Gw123

High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 03:36 AM

How do y’all feel about hunting large acreage under high fence? 2,000+ acres all low fence cross fencing, no introduced genetics or breeding program, just native deer on a very large tract of high fenced land. Or exotics On the same large tract of land?
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 03:50 AM

popcorn
Posted By: majekman

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 03:57 AM

hammer bolt
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 04:20 AM

I feel that in the case of high fences, a person should follow ones own ethical standards and not seek the opinions of total strangers on which path to take
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 04:20 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 04:24 AM

For me it’s all circumstantial, a 100 acre pen isn’t for me, but on a large enough place I would have no problem. I know it’s very controversial and I’m not looking to start any arguments with anybody or amongst others. Just seeing if people felt different about them under certain circumstances.
Posted By: tlk

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 04:38 AM

Sir do whatever you feel is good for you. Nothing wrong, unethical, or illegal hunting HF. If you feel good with it then do it. Does not matter what others think. Good luck
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 06:40 AM

Again? Really?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 08:37 AM

What is the actual question? You are doing it or just wondering? I would do it for myself but not others. It's an expensive experiment involving a lot of time and money.
Posted By: texfork

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I feel that in the case of high fences, a person should follow ones own ethical standards and not seek the opinions of total strangers on which path to take
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 10:46 AM

A belated welcome to you. This is a tired old war on here and just isn't the same without some of the zealots that are no longer signed on, of whom no reason or logic would persuade. 100 sections under high fence was a "pen" to them.

For 4 years I hunted a 10,000 acre high fence pasture, as you described, low (old) cross fences, no protein or introduced genetics. I enjoyed the property and the hunting very much. Some would look down there snoot at me, but...at least I didn't hunt it with a 6.5 Creed. bolt
Posted By: snake oil

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 11:21 AM

Not again. bang
Posted By: titan2232

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 11:30 AM

Different than 2000 acres low fence, but what ev
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by tlk
Sir do whatever you feel is good for you. Nothing wrong, unethical, or illegal hunting HF. If you feel good with it then do it. Does not matter what others think. Good luck

X1,000,000,000,000
Posted By: don k

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 11:46 AM

Covid 19 and now HF-LF? It is too much for and old fart to handle.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 11:59 AM

"Different than 2000 acres low fence, but what ev", I can tell you what ev. I have 1st hand knowledge of a completely legitimate & successful 2,200 acre place that was being raped by its smaller tract neighbors and had HF installed to protect themselves. If I had beet LO, I would have done the very same thing and even though it created a bunch of cost and time requirements.
Posted By: freerange

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 02:06 PM

It sounds like a lot on here are tired of this debate and I am too. I do not want to debate it but I do wish you would clarify something thats confusing to me. Are you saying the HF is 2000+ acres or you are hunting a 2000+ ac pasture thats been cross fenced out of a much bigger HF area??? It wont matter to some but in case this debate starts to rage then it would be helpful to know the facts.
One thing we will likely find out is if a certain member thats been silent for a good while is really gone or not cause no way will he let this one slide by.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 02:15 PM

It's a silly argument. The same people that will castigate you for hunting 2k HF acres have no problem sitting 50 yds from a feeder and murdering deer while calling it 'hunting'. As long as what you are doing is legal and poses no danger to anyone else, carry on.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
It's a silly argument. The same people that will castigate you for hunting 2k HF acres have no problem sitting 50 yds from a feeder and murdering deer while calling it 'hunting'. As long as what you are doing is legal and poses no danger to anyone else, carry on.

Now Now, there is no place for logic in this thread.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 02:41 PM

It's a personal decision, you be you. When and if you do it, and are successful, tell us about it. Hunters that post pic's are looking for recognition, and there's nothing wrong with being recognized and complimented by your peers. Don't hold back on the details if you post up a great buck. A frequently asked question on a post is, "HF or LF", so go ahead and include it. Hunters want to know.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gw123
How do y’all feel about hunting large acreage under high fence? 2,000+ acres all low fence cross fencing, no introduced genetics or breeding program, just native deer on a very large tract of high fenced land. Or exotics On the same large tract of land?

You are at the top of the food chain, laws and methods of take were created solely for sustainability of a resource. If how you hunt still ensures sustainability then who cares.

But in a nut shell if your are solely hunting to conform or based off someone else’s opinion of your experience or animal you are hunting for wrong reasons.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 02:56 PM

So says BOBO
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 03:11 PM

I'll put this out there and you can take it for what it's worth.

I guided on a place that was HF in the hill country, and one of our pastures was a measily 250 acres with no introduced deer etc, it was completely native. WE had 4 bucks that were 3.5-4.5 YO on it. There were 3 feeder/stand locations and 2 protein feeders. All 5 spots always had cameras on them. I'm sitting in the blind one evening and see a buck walk in, and couldn't ID him. Got good video of him and called it a night. That buck was guestimated at 4.5 YO himself, and not one time had he been seen in person, or on any of those cameras until I saw him that night. We all thought it was pretty wild.

I'm all for Native HF hunting, it's just an easier way to control population numbers.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 03:40 PM

To each is own. I've had fun on both HF and LF. Enjoy being out in the woods wherever you are.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 04:06 PM

Grew up hunting public land in Arkansas and Oklahoma, so anything other than that is wrong... soap

I find it humorous that the same guy hunting over a feeder or food plot will crucify someone that hunts HF. It’s ALL non-natural manipulation to tip the odds in the hunter’s favor. If it is legal, and you want to do it, then do it. If it’s legal, and you DON’T want to do it, DON’T do it.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 05:57 PM

Are you new to hunting forums, or just bored?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 06:01 PM

Depends, can mosquitoes get through it?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 06:42 PM

So long as the resource is consumed and no laws are broken, I say to each his own. It doesn't appeal to me but so do many other things that some folks like to do.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/25/20 06:50 PM

I love me some high fence fishing,, high fence hunting isn't any different, of course depending on the size of the enclosed area.

Put a half dozen 16lb bass in a 300 gallon water trough makes catching one easy, in a 2 acre tank harder, in a 10,000 acre lake your chances are slim.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/26/20 04:21 AM

rifle
Posted By: Grizz

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/26/20 02:28 PM

Lord help us - another HF/LF "debate" building.
The real issue to debate is why my 6.5 Creedmoor and .223 rounds penetrate paper so well but bounce off of deer.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/27/20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Grizz
The real issue to debate is why my 6.5 Creedmoor and .223 rounds penetrate paper so well but bounce off of deer.

It's common knowledge that they are both inferior! stir
Posted By: Grizz

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/27/20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by Grizz

It's common knowledge that they are both inferior! stir

That has to be it. The right answer is usually the most obvious. laugh
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/28/20 04:05 AM

So a guy with less then 20 posts starts trolling us about high fences. Be very careful what you tell them.

This is a tactic anti-hunting groups use, to stir the pot and trigger hunters into posting and or saying nasty things, which they use to build their case.

Regards to high fence hunting, my question is this: is the fence there to contain wildlife or to protect it?

If it serves the purpose to contain the wildlife you can't honestly say it is hunting. If it is there to protect the herd and big enough they can range on it freely, that changes the conversation.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/28/20 05:34 AM

get a rope aim

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/28/20 04:44 PM

My question had to do with under certain circumstance would peoples opinions change about hunting a high fenced place. I like to learn and see things from other people’s experiences and view points.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/28/20 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gw123
My question had to do with under certain circumstance would peoples opinions change about hunting a high fenced place. I like to learn and see things from other people’s experiences and view points.

Most people learn and see things from their own perspective not from what others tell them.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/28/20 09:19 PM

I know a guy who erected HF 150 yards within his property lines. Hunted both sides.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/28/20 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
I know a guy who erected HF 150 yards within his property lines. Hunted both sides.

I can relate to that. If you shoot a coyote in a HF is that not ethical?

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 02:49 AM

If you shared a life raft with 6 other people, and one started drilling a hole in the bottom, would you "stick together"?

On a big high fence place where the animals can free range, they still can't "technically" escape.

Regardless of the challenge, whether it feels like hunting to us, the vast majority of non hunters can't get behind high fence operations because at the end of the day, it is still technically a "pen". As long as we condone that sort of thing, the anti's will use it against us.

Sometimes when you stick together you sink together.

I have no doubt there are excellent high fence places. High fences gained popularity because they can help protect a herd from predators as well as poachers and other hunters that take all they can and don't participate in conservation or management efforts.

But there are enough "pens" out there to ruin it. In MY OPINION, Yep just my own, if you truly care about the future of hunting, you can't support high fence operations.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:12 AM

Now we’ve got a proper high fence party.
Posted By: majekman

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:19 AM

Oh yeahhhhh....let the games begin!

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:29 AM

You're welcome
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 04:21 AM

You're wrong
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
Are you new to hunting forums, or just bored?

rofl popcorn

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 11:50 AM

Back to the future. What goes around comes around. So which I have never gotten an answer everyone agrees on. What height is a HF? Is it the same for all animals? If you have a zebra in a 4ft. fence is that considered a HF? If you have an animal in a HF and take it out and it is shot is that OK since it was raised HF? Me being 73 years old I am just trying to educate myself on HF-LF so I am able to carry on an informed conversation.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 12:22 PM

What a refreshing diversion from arguing about masks! banana

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 12:26 PM

"If you shared a life raft with 6 other people, and one started drilling a hole in the bottom, would you "stick together"?" Quite the analogy.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
If you shared a life raft with 6 other people, and one started drilling a hole in the bottom, would you "stick together"?

On a big high fence place where the animals can free range, they still can't "technically" escape.

Regardless of the challenge, whether it feels like hunting to us, the vast majority of non hunters can't get behind high fence operations because at the end of the day, it is still technically a "pen". As long as we condone that sort of thing, the anti's will use it against us. Yes

Sometimes when you stick together you sink together.

I have no doubt there are excellent high fence places. High fences gained popularity because they can help protect a herd from predators as well as poachers and other hunters that take all they can and don't participate in conservation or management efforts.

But there are enough "pens" out there to ruin it. In MY OPINION, Yep just my own, if you truly care about the future of hunting, you can't support high fence operations.

I’m amazed that someone with as little hunting experience as yourself has such a developed opinion on something you don’t know much about. Of course your welcome to your own opinion & all, but if I recall correctly, you don’t really know jack [censored] about hunting.

It’s akin to 14 year old thinking he’s an expert on banging chicks. BTW, the whole life raft analogy is terrible & has no bearing on the subject at hand.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 01:05 PM

Many experts on here have killed very few deer.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 01:50 PM

Doesn't take an expert deer hunter to understand everyone else that doesn't hunt and how they affect our politics. Also, you don't have to get nasty to convey your opinions. But I have gotten accustomed to that from a few.

Our enemies do little of nothing for conservation. They pay their attorneys some $60 an hour to sue the government, then they are reimbursed some $300 per hour of litigation. They pretend to play nice while policies are being made, then they turn around and sue the governent and use us to do it. To quote Randy Newberg "If they win they win, if they lose they still win and you never know what they won."

This is what has happened with wolves. They were supposed to be de-listed at less than a fifth of what we have now, and be managed by the states . These groups went straight to court the very next day after it was settled and started litigating.

I might be a novice deer hunter but at least I have an idea what is going on with the politics of the sport.

And I am not going to single anybody out, but I will say this- how much do you trust the opinion of someone that stands to make a handsome sum off high fence hunting, or lose equally as much if it is not allowed?

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 01:58 PM

Yet another gray area that some people are convinced that it's black and white.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 02:18 PM

Yeppers

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

x2

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by freerange

x2

X3

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 02:35 PM

I might be a novice deer hunter but at least I have an idea what is going on with the politics of the sport.

And I am not going to single anybody out, but I will say this- how much do you trust the opinion of someone that stands to make a handsome sum off high fence hunting, or lose equally as much if it is not allowed?

You haven’t even worked your way UP to a novice hunter yet.

You still have no idea what it’s like to own a place, work it for years & try to make a nice place out of it.

Like the 14 year old virgin telling Ron Jeremy about women.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:14 PM

So if the non hunting public doesn’t like high fences, we should avoid them. And if they don’t like bow hunting? How about all of hunting?

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

You haven’t even worked your way UP to a novice hunter yet.

You still have no idea what it’s like to own a place, work it for years & try to make a nice place out of it.

Like the 14 year old virgin telling Ron Jeremy about women.

And you thought he couldn't get nastier. roflmao That's our max!

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:22 PM

Not even close. And your insults prove my point. You may care about future generations of hunters, or you may not, but your continued insults and refusal to engange in the discussion intelligently prove my point, Max. You are more worried about your bottom line, which IN SOME CASES (not all) depends on shooting deer in pens.

Why can't you bring something to the table that points out the advantages of high fence operations done right?

I think you can't, because you stand to make good money or represent those who stand to make good money off "pens", which should be distinguished from high fence operations instead of lumped together with them. The "grey".

The 95% plus of the non hunting public, are readily sucked in by our enemies when it comes to any high fences, and can't distinguish the difference because they don't know the difference. They start threads like this one and use stuff people like you will post, and use it against us.

What are you posting to distinguish the difference between a legitimate high fence operation and a pen? Nothing. Since you can't engage in the discussion, you chose to insult and assasinate the character of anyone that is contrary to your position. What a great ambassador you have proven to be. If I have learned anything from you, it is that your level of experience does not make you a "good hunter" and neither does your level of success.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:42 PM

note to BCH, fair chase and the legality/morality of hunting are separate issues. If not slaughter of animals would not be allowed. Take your finger out of the dike. The whole you believe is there is not. Believe in those that are on your side and avoid taking sides with what is, the true enemy.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:43 PM

Never thought I would be agreeing with this......lol. roflmao

Bryan, you will never appease the non-hunting until you agree to end hunting......a better use of time and energy is united to protect the legal hunting we have now.......don’t get caught up in the shooting in the pen argument, what happens in that type of hunt is no different than the way live stock is slaughtered every day......think logically not emotionally......

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 03:47 PM

Yep, listen to PP and consider changing your screen name to GrassHopper.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 04:04 PM

Doesn't take an expert deer hunter to understand everyone else that doesn't hunt and how they affect our politics. Also, you don't have to get nasty to convey your opinions. But I have gotten accustomed to that from a few.

Our enemies do little of nothing for conservation. They pay their attorneys some $60 an hour to sue the government, then they are reimbursed some $300 per hour of litigation. They pretend to play nice while policies are being made, then they turn around and sue the governent and use us to do it. To quote Randy Newberg "If they win they win, if they lose they still win and you never know what they won."

This is what has happened with wolves. They were supposed to be de-listed at less than a fifth of what we have now, and be managed by the states . These groups went straight to court the very next day after it was settled and started litigating.

Before you eat to much crow on this. Vast majority of HF ranches, don’t sell hunts. Next is a few that solely sell a few it’s to lessen the expenses, but don’t typical cover all them.

The ones that are solely for hunts are managing things extremely different, breeding deer isn’t about the biggest bucks, it’s about lowering the age required to get to a certain size, thus lowering your costs.

The true hunt companies for most part are just diversifying income, with creative accounting. It’s not an extremely profitable endeavor though. Most are backed by other company(ies) and it’s more a creative write off for them.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Bryan, you will never appease the non-hunting until you agree to end hunting......a better use of time and energy is united to protect the legal hunting we have now.......don’t get caught up in the shooting in the pen argument, what happens in that type of hunt is no different than the way live stock is slaughtered every day......think logically not emotionally......

I am thinking logically and I mostly agree with you. The point I am trying to make is lost on most of you it seems. Anyone that is gonna sit there and make jokes, and sling insults, is going to lose in the long run. And if we can't police ourselves, someone else will do it for us.

If anyone is posting emotionally on here it is the one that resolved to insults from the very start. But he's a popular guy on the forum and probably has done a lot for access to some hunters willing and able to pay.

Some of ya'll will sit here in this thread and yuck it up, then over in the corona virus thread you are solemn and serious. Is this not serious enough a subject to have a conversation? I guess not, on this forum, to alot of people.

Anyway PP I appreciate you brother.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Before you eat to much crow on this. Vast majority of HF ranches, don’t sell hunts. Next is a few that solely sell a few it’s to lessen the expenses, but don’t typical cover all them.

The ones that are solely for hunts are managing things extremely different, breeding deer isn’t about the biggest bucks, it’s about lowering the age required to get to a certain size, thus lowering your costs.

The true hunt companies to me are just diversifying income, with creative accounting. It’s not an extremely profitable endeavor though. Most are back buy other companies and it’s more a creative write off.

Kind of like dry land farming verse irrigated. More expenses they higher the yield has to be to cover, but if it doesn’t higher the loss.

Thank you BOBO.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 04:25 PM

Wait a minute, Max Flav is popular?

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 04:28 PM

HF killed the virus. Hoo Raw

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 04:53 PM

I bet most can get on board with landowners doing what they can to stay in business and keep their property from getting bought, sold, split. Whatever it takes to preserve habitat. There is a good start. Thank you BOBO cheers

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 04:57 PM

I got bigger problems - the wife keeps putting out the TP bought at the height of the panic, in an effort to use it up. I've wiped with higher quality stuff in a state park rest room (when they were open). bang Single-ply is now an "upgrade". crying

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 05:15 PM

I bet most can get on board with landowners doing what they can to stay in business and keep their property from getting bought, sold, split. Whatever it takes to preserve habitat. There is a good start. Thank you BOBO cheers

No problem, very few on here are willing to see both sides. I like the way you are truely open to it.

If you ever want to see something funny get on a Western forum and wait for a biologist or Ranch Manager from texas chimes in. It pretty funny because the western guys for most part a clueless to habitat, carry capacity, ratios, levels of preferred browse etc. but preach from a pulpit... that pulpit is pretty bare with out a solid understanding of what it’s built on.

Most Texas hunters as a whole are more intune with habitat and herd health then most other hunters, that knowledge escalates as a perimeter deterrent goes up

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 05:17 PM

I got bigger problems - the wife keeps putting out the TP bought at the height of the panic, in an effort to use it up. I've wiped with higher quality stuff in a state park rest room (when they were open). bang Single-ply is now an "upgrade". crying

Sir, you can order a case of wet wipes via Amazon prime same day delivery. If they are out, switch to boogie whiles, same thing, more creative branding

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 06:00 PM

His brashness and snarkiness can be funny as long as its not directed at you-YOU know what i mean:)

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Pitchs comment comparing pen hunting and cattle slaughter is probably the best line of thinking to rationalize pen hunting(no sarcasm). I dont have a big problem with HF hunting but PERSONALLY I think the small pens create a bad look. If you look at it like a cattle slaughter then its not too bad. I just wish they would skip the grip and grin photos.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 06:05 PM

I think most everyone can agree with that one. Keep looking for common ground Bryan. up

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 06:12 PM

No problem, very few on here are willing to see both sides. I like the way you are truely open to it.

If you ever want to see something funny get on a Western forum and wait for a biologist or Ranch Manager from texas chimes in. It pretty funny because the western guys for most part a clueless to habitat, carry capacity, ratios, levels of preferred browse etc. but preach from a pulpit... that pulpit is pretty bare with out a solid understanding of what it’s built on.

Most Texas hunters as a whole are more intune with habitat and herd health then most other hunters, that knowledge escalates as a perimeter deterrent goes up

I always look at both sides of anything but often times on here if you just point out the "other" side you will be blasted as if you take that side.
I have spent a lifetime deer hunting almost exclusively in Texas and Bobos comments about habitat etc etc etc became ingrained in me long ago. I never really thought about how foreign some of that thinking probably is to Western hunting and others. Texas pretty much did start all the "deer management" stuff(thanks Al and Murphy.) The HF would be an extension of the "management" concept, so thanks Bobo, good post!!
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 06:24 PM

Pitchs comment comparing pen hunting and cattle slaughter is probably the best line of thinking to rationalize pen hunting(no sarcasm). I dont have a big problem with HF hunting but PERSONALLY I think the small pens create a bad look. If you look at it like a cattle slaughter then its not too bad. I just wish they would skip the grip and grin photos.

I think you're right freerange. Just remember that lardazzzed, rich lawyer types need a place where they can go kill something
too.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:22 PM

Why can't you bring something to the table that points out the advantages of high fence operations done right?

I had to isolate this 1 sentence from your delusional post.

Please understand, not only do you not know much, anything that you think you know is likely wrong.

I’m 6th generation on this ranch. My people came here 140 years ago. We have all worked very hard on the land, & never made much of anything. You keep talking about big money this, rich & fancy that; when you have no idea at all as to what is involved I making a nice ranch. I am lucky to break even every year. I dont do this for the money.

You blabber on about [censored] you have no idea about. Most people would stop & shut up at some point, but you are just like a Karen.

As to your stupid question, HF allows 100% management of animals. That’s an advantage for everyone, animals included. Because then dip sticks like yourself can shoot every 2 year old on their 40ac lease.

Hey how did the rabbit hunting go? Maybe 1 day you can work your way up to other animals, maybe 1 day even a deer. I’m sure you’ll shoot the first thing you get a chance to. Meanwhile, I’m growing big & old bucks; & producing lots of does to have more deer in the future. All the while your pathetic broke-dick is sittiing in the suburbs wishing you could deer hunt.

You do realize HF ranches (& LF ranches with management) feed a lot of protein & develop habitat hatbis beneficial to deer? You don’t know anything, but I spend about $20k/year on feeding deer, & not so ungrateful idiots can come shoot a 2 year old buck.

Just this weekend, I had a family of 4 men who came & enjoyed a great weekend of hog hunting & friendship, cheaper than a hotel or almost any other vacation activity.

Your jealousy for what other people have is very telling of your low character. There are lota people with a better ranch than mine, but I’m not calling them an [censored]. Someone else having a nice place doesn’t effect me at all.

You need to focus more on yourself & learning something about deer & ranches.

Why don’t you move back to whatever Yankee state you came from? I hear there’s good rabbit hunting there.

You should change your handle to “Karen the rabbit hunter”.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:26 PM

That’s certainly unwelcome news to me also

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:29 PM

His brashness and snarkiness can be funny as long as its not directed at you-YOU know what i mean:)

I’m an equal opportunity [censored]. I dislike most people intensely.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:42 PM

I think GrassHopper needs to understand if the stance is to make us look better to the anti-hunter segment, you just never gonna get there. Stop that crapola right now. Stand on your ground, on your terms and defend it mightily. Agreeing with them on most anything is justa slippery slope. Just cuz somes rightfully believe there are some atrocious use of high fences, where do you go with it? With the wolves re-intro committee, they loaded that puppy up with a one (as in a single) land owner and everyone else was pro-wolf. Where's they think that stance was going to be pointed at. Give in anywhere and then they look at the next. Maybe it's pig hunting at night, rabbit hunting anytime or shooting does. Who knows, but I do know this, they won't stop at high fences.

As for me, the place we hunt is technically low fence, but I would pay to hunt a high fence place if everything was acceptable to my best interests. Even so, I would not look down on someone who chose to hunt in their own way. Frankly, we need more people willing to get out there and not less. If I were to hunt HF, I would likely look to hunt with someone cheerful like Max. I bet he would be a hoot. Another bet here is he would go out of his way to make things right for me. Probably a lil' teddy bear kinda guy. Maybe I'll start referring to him as Sonnenschein (Sunshine in Deutch).

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:49 PM

Yep, I’m also sick of the “what about the people who don’t hunt” crowd. People like Karen the rabbit hunter throw that out, like I give good GD.

Maybe I'll start referring to him as Sonnenschein (Sunshine in Deutch).

The name is kinda growing on me. I’ll start practicing the spelling.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:51 PM

I’m wondering if Karen the rabbit hunter has even been inside a HF? Or how many ranches he has ever been on, or if he even knows any ranching families. I’m guessing not, just going by his complete lack of knowledge. Just another suburban dwelling citiot who is an expert on ranching.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:53 PM

High fence shooters are the scum of the Earth.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

Fair chase hunters are elitists and think they are entitled to my deer.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:54 PM

am not

am not

are too!

am not

are too!

AM NOT!

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:55 PM

am not
are too!
AM NOT![/quote]

ARE TOO!

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 07:55 PM

am not
are too!
AM NOT!

ARE TOO![/quote]
....and so on and so forth.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:00 PM

here comes Sybil

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:02 PM

am not
are too!
AM NOT!

ARE TOO!

....and so on and so forth.[/quote]

Bro, your supposed to log out & log into your alternate ego, back & forth, before you argue with yourself.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:03 PM

The designated hitter rule ruined baseball.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:04 PM

I bet that if someone offered Karen the rabbit hunter a spot to hunt deer on a nice HF ranch, he wouldn’t be quite so picky all of a sudden.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:06 PM

Sonnenschein, here's your opportunity -

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:11 PM

am not
are too!
AM NOT!

ARE TOO!

....and so on and so forth.[/quote]
Huntnfly certainly sees both sides of the issue.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

You think they are really going to start the season next month?

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:15 PM

Hud and max, together at last. clap

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:25 PM

If you don't care about what anti-hunters think, well, me neither. If you don't care what "non-hunters" think, you should. Because in the end, non-hunters decide if you can hunt at all.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by don k

You think they are really going to start the season next month?

With the way things have been going lately, I'd say it's pretty unlikely. But who knows at this point.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:37 PM

If you don't care about what anti-hunters think, well, me neither. If you don't care what "non-hunters" think, you should. Because in the end, non-hunters decide if you can hunt at all.

LoL. No they don’t, Karen.
Posted By: JJH

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:39 PM

I put up a HF because, after 10 years of hunting the place, I tired of never seeing a buck over 1.5 yo, and the place being over grazed.

The neighbors shot every buck they saw and didn't want to shoot does. So the buck to doe ratio what way out of whack and the habitat was suffering. Similar to many areas in Texas.

Now, the deer population is down, the flora and fauna, are in better shape. Soil erosion is decreased There are more quail, more doves, and other wildlife.

Hunting is actually "harder" because you see fewer deer, but the ones you see are healthy and there actually mature bucks around.

If you think it's hunting in a pen, you ain't been there.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:39 PM

at least he's using a smaller shovel

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:44 PM

Hud and max, together at last. clap

Sweet. Break out the Natty Light & Rohypnol, & crank up the Luther Vandross.

The sad part is, Karen has been wrong since his 1st post here, & hasn’t learned a thing. If Karen wasn’t so ignorant & obstinate, I had the thought of showing him around my ranch & letting him hunt hogs, just so he could get a different perspective on things & maybe learn something.

I’m glad I didn’t.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:47 PM

How do you figure? Regardless of HF/LF, I don't see how you can argue this point. 10% of people hunt, 5% are anti, and 85% are nonhunters, the majority of which generally support hunting. If that were to change, even a very vocal 10% isn't going to save hunting.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JJH
I put up a HF because, after 10 years of hunting the place, I tired of never seeing a buck over 1.5 yo, and the place being over grazed.

The neighbors shot every buck they saw and didn't want to shoot does. So the buck to doe ratio what way out of whack and the habitat was suffering. Similar to many areas in Texas.

Now, the deer population is down, the flora and fauna, are in better shape. Soil erosion is decreased There are more quail, more doves, and other wildlife.

Hunting is actually "harder" because you see fewer deer, but the ones you see are healthy and there actually mature bucks around.

Of course he hasn’t been there. He’s only a hunting expert on the internet.

That’s exactly the reason most HF goes up, folks like Karen who shoot everything they can, if they can get on a lease.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:50 PM

How do you figure? Regardless of HF/LF, I don't see how you can argue this point. 10% of people hunt, 5% are anti, and 85% are nonhunters, the majority of which generally support hunting. If that were to change, even a very vocal 10% isn't going to save hunting.

How do you imagine non-hunters dictating who hunts on private land? This is Texas ol son.

Y’all are creating a straw man & giving him super powers, in an effort to justify an absurd position.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 08:56 PM

How do you imagine non-hunters dictating who hunts on private land? This is Texas ol son.

Y’all are creating a straw man & giving him super powers, in an effort to justify an absurd position.

Look at grizzly hunting in B.C. or mountain lions in California, or the many states that have banned hunting over bait, or with dogs, etc. Those were done by popular vote by non-hunters. It's not a straw man, it has happened many times. Sure, it's less likely in Texas, but only because those 85% of folks are supportive of hunting. That's the only difference between here and California.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 09:03 PM

Max, they are talking about Non hunters that VOTE!!!! Surely you understand that could be a threat if non hunters view hunters/hunting in a bad light.
"WE" need to get non hunters to hunt(kids and adults), or at minimum slant their views on hunting and hunters. Recruit, educate, market.
I dont know how your attack of another hunter on this forum is helping anything at all.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 09:11 PM

Sherpa you are correct but general public also has a hard time with the consumption and killing part of apex predators, thanks Disney. That’s a fundamental difference. Hunters where a huge part of the dog hunting bans, many publicly spoke against hounds and baiting

General public cares about consumption and sustainablitiy, not so much with the fake fair chase agruement. There has never been a fairchase fast food hamburger in the History if the US, yet billions are eaten a year.

Perception about HF is a worse fight between hunters then general public. General public can understand consumption, habitat improvements, herd health when it’s actually explained to them.

Now look back on THF and look at hunters degrading other hunts because they feel the score accomplish of others belittles their own. It’s truely said. So much for eachs own experiences/memories and consumption...

If you want to save hunting, educate hunters and general public on what a score system actually does/accomplishes out side of (trophy hunting), I hate BC but their record reasoning was once legitimate

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 09:16 PM

Look at grizzly hunting in B.C. or mountain lions in California, or the many states that have banned hunting over bait, or with dogs, etc. Those were done by popular vote by non-hunters. It's not a straw man, it has happened many times. Sure, it's less likely in Texas, but only because those 85% of folks are supportive of hunting. That's the only difference between here and California.

Yes, 2 commie [censored] that are a long way from TX.

Y’all are scared of things that will never happen here.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 09:18 PM

I dont know how your attack of another hunter on this forum is helping anything at all.

Karen is not a hunter. He’s a socialist looking for free handouts.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 09:22 PM

How do you figure? Regardless of HF/LF, I don't see how you can argue this point. 10% of people hunt, 5% are anti, and 85% are nonhunters, the majority of which generally support hunting. If that were to change, even a very vocal 10% isn't going to save hunting. [/quote]

[/quote]

Look at grizzly hunting in B.C. or mountain lions in California, or the many states that have banned hunting over bait, or with dogs, etc. Those were done by popular vote by non-hunters. It's not a straw man, it has happened many times. Sure, it's less likely in Texas, but only because those 85% of folks are supportive of hunting. That's the only difference between here and California. [/quote]

That "only" difference is a GIANT difference compared to Cali.........voting to stop hunting here will be the equivalent of voting to take firearms away.........even if the cesspool cities vote for it it will never be enforced.......Texans will continue to own their guns and hunt with them IMO.......texas...........property rights will ALWAYS win the day in this state IMO........

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 09:34 PM

Sherpa you are correct but general public also has a hard time with the consumption and killing part of apex predators, thanks Disney. That’s a fundamental difference. Hunters where a huge part of the dog hunting bans, many publicly spoke against hounds and baiting

General public cares about consumption and sustainablitiy, not so much with the fake fair chase agruement. There has never been a fairchase fast food hamburger in the History if the US, yet billions are eaten a year.

Perception about HF is a worse fight between hunters then general public. General public can understand consumption, habitat improvements, herd health when it’s actually explained to them.

Now look back on THF and look at hunters degrading other hunts because they feel the score accomplish of others belittles their own. It’s truely said. So much for eachs own experiences/memories and consumption...

If you want to save hunting, educate hunters and general public on what a score system actually does/accomplishes out side of (trophy hunting), I hate BC but their record reasoning was once legitimate

Stop using facts and logic..........not allowed in these threads.........it's all about I want you to hunt like I do, even though I have wounded animals that have suffered that I never found........it was fair chase so it's all good.......

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 09:39 PM

Very good points.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JJH

Thank you JJH

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 10:33 PM

Very good points.

End of the day what we do as hunters and land stewards is much more then a trophy pic and score sheet, that is our message, that’s out justification.

We often forget when agrueing amongst ourselves that our deer aren’t migratory, our pronghorn aren’t migratory, our sheep aren’t migratory etc. People want to agrue migratory as dispersal. They aren’t synonymous. We have a much more active and intrusive role as local year round habitat managers with non migratory herds then migratory herd. When you can deter dispersal in, you have a better chance at improving habitat with out having to have a larger mouth eradication program. Once again we as hunters tend to look right past that and focus on size and scores of heads...

Wild Horse Island And Antelope Island have a lot in common, both are high fenced sheep herds by definition.... but wild horse has turned into one of the greatest sheep restocking seed programs in the US. Antelope island will do the same going forward and offer hunts. They share a lot of similarities on a conservation front as most HF’s, sometimes you just got to look at the good and not the puppets on the pulpit

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 10:35 PM

I am not putting down the high fence deal. Even shooting tame deer in pens is alot "nicer" than most modern agricultural methods. And I recognize, most high fence places are not shooting tame deer in pens. Some of you would rather have fun, make jokes, and put words in my mouth. It's about what I expected.

This is not a "straw man" argument that I am trying to make. It is literally happening RIGHT NOW. But so many of you have got your heads in the sand and you think it will never change.

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 10:37 PM

Oe

Very good points.

End of the day what we do as hunters and land stewards is much more then a trophy pic and score sheet, that is our message, that’s out justification.

We often forget when agrueing amongst ourselves that our deer aren’t migratory, our pronghorn aren’t migratory, our sheep aren’t migratory etc. People want to agrue migratory as dispersal. They aren’t synonymous. We have a much more active and intrusive role as local year round habitat managers with non migratory herds then migratory herd. When you can deter dispersal in, you have a better chance at improving habitat with out having to have a larger mouth eradication program. Once again we as hunters tend to look right past that and focus on size and scores of heads...

Wild Horse Island And Antelope Island have a lot in common, both are high fenced sheep herds by definition.... but wild horse has turned into one of the greatest sheep restocking seed programs in the US. Antelope island will do the same going forward and offer hunts. They share a lot of similarities on a conservation front as most HF’s, sometimes you just got to look at the good and not the puppets on the pulpit

Thank you BOBO

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 11:14 PM

I’ll ask again. What if they decide they don’t like bow hunting? Are we going to abandon that to save the ship?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 11:34 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: High Fence Hunting? - 06/29/20 11:58 PM

I am not putting down the high fence deal. Even shooting tame deer in pens is alot "nicer" than most modern agricultural methods. And I recognize, most high fence places are not shooting tame deer in pens. Some of you would rather have fun, make jokes, and put words in my mouth. It's about what I expected.

This is not a "straw man" argument that I am trying to make. It is literally happening RIGHT NOW. But so many of you have got your heads in the sand and you think it will never change.

What, exactly, do you think is happening right now? Please be specific.

We will never give up guns or hunting in Texas. You might not know that if you ain’t from here.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum