Texas Hunting Forum

Long term commitment

Posted By: don k

Long term commitment - 06/14/20 06:12 PM

I was reading earlier on here about trying to improve the deer herd. Removing the genetics you don't want and keeping the ones you want to improve the herd. It was stated that it is a long term commitment to do this properly. I know for a fact that is very true. What I am going to say and show is not about WT but about Ibex. The difference in the animals does not matter because the same principles of how to better or change the genetics can be applied to any animal. I have been raising Ibex for well over 20 years. The first Ibex I got actually came through the auction ring in Uvalde. I have not idea how or who brought them. They were more of a Persian type Ibex. A darker color and different type horn than the Nubian has. I started buying Spanish goat females that sort of looked like Ibex. Then 12 years ago I saw that Nubian Ibex were bring quite a bit more money than the type of Ibex I was raising. So I bought a Nubian Ibex male. I bred him to my females and every year I sold off the older females and kept the young ones. Every 3 years I bought another pure bred Nubian Ibex male and sold the older one. I have been doing this every year for the past 12. Keeping the young females and selling the oldest ones. If I have 10 females born I will sell 10 old females. I realize this would be hard to do with WT. But to me it is the only way to really change what you have to what you want. Get rid of the WT bucks you don't want and keep the ones you want to breed. Shoot the oldest does every year and keep the younger ones. Here are some pictures of what I started with and what I have now. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Starting at the top is what I had and going down is what I have now.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Long term commitment - 06/14/20 06:26 PM

cool
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Long term commitment - 06/14/20 07:00 PM

up
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Long term commitment - 06/14/20 07:06 PM

up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Long term commitment - 06/15/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by don k
I was reading earlier on here about trying to improve the deer herd. Removing the genetics you don't want and keeping the ones you want to improve the herd. It was stated that it is a long term commitment to do this properly. I know for a fact that is very true. What I am going to say and show is not about WT but about Ibex. The difference in the animals does not matter because the same principles of how to better or change the genetics can be applied to any animal. I have been raising Ibex for well over 20 years. The first Ibex I got actually came through the auction ring in Uvalde. I have not idea how or who brought them. They were more of a Persian type Ibex. A darker color and different type horn than the Nubian has. I started buying Spanish goat females that sort of looked like Ibex. Then 12 years ago I saw that Nubian Ibex were bring quite a bit more money than the type of Ibex I was raising. So I bought a Nubian Ibex male. I bred him to my females and every year I sold off the older females and kept the young ones. Every 3 years I bought another pure bred Nubian Ibex male and sold the older one. I have been doing this every year for the past 12. Keeping the young females and selling the oldest ones. If I have 10 females born I will sell 10 old females. I realize this would be hard to do with WT. But to me it is the only way to really change what you have to what you want. Get rid of the WT bucks you don't want and keep the ones you want to breed. Shoot the oldest does every year and keep the younger ones. Here are some pictures of what I started with and what I have now. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Starting at the top is what I had and going down is what I have now.

proof is in the picture, nice work and dedication
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Long term commitment - 06/15/20 04:47 PM

Great pics
Posted By: PMK

Re: Long term commitment - 06/15/20 05:16 PM

up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Long term commitment - 06/15/20 11:42 PM

Beautiful animals there, Don.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Long term commitment - 06/16/20 12:26 AM

Ya can’t argue with proven success. GREAT JOB.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Long term commitment - 06/16/20 11:00 AM

Had to look them up hope you do not mind me adding this info.

https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/nubian-ibex

The Nubian ibex is the only ibex species adapted to life in hot, arid regions of the world. Their shiny coats reflect the harsh sunlight of northeastern Africa and Saudi Arabia. This coat is also waterproof for times of rain. These incredibly agile animals spend their time in steep mountainous terrain, which would normally be dangerous to other animals. However, they move up and down the precipitous cliffs with ease, and in this hostile environment this plays a big part in predator avoidance. Males grow impressive horns (up to 4 feet!) for defense and to impress females during mating season.

This relatively small ibex is distinguished by the striking, backward-arching horns of the male, which are long, slender, and ridged, casting a brilliant silhouette against the rocky, mountainous terrain of its surroundings. The coat is a light sandy brown color, with a white underbelly, while the legs display noticeable black-and-white markings. Bucks have a dark stripe down the back and older males grow a long, dark beard. During the October rut, the neck, chest, sides, shoulders, and upper legs of the bucks become dark brown to almost black in color. Males grow much larger than females.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Long term commitment - 06/17/20 08:05 PM

Don I like the way your Ibexs horns look, the rings or ridges are larger and more of them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Long term commitment - 06/19/20 01:11 PM

Very good information. I wonder why more people don't do the same thing? Seems like there would be a lot more profit in it with better quality animals
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum