Texas Hunting Forum

A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin

Posted By: freerange

A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/13/20 05:58 PM

Other thread got me thinking I need a new unit. I dont know much about stuff like this and I can do research on my own but yall are always a good place to start. Im wanting to know what I should buy. We have a couple wall propane units for heat but would like the window units that heat and cool. Its a deer lease but quite a bit of time working during hot months so need some A/C. My first year last year and it was just me but there will be 4 of us this year in 3 bedroom house. By myself in the 16' x 16' bedroom the old small unit was barely cool enough.
Any idea what size unit would cool that room easily and hopefully offer some help in the adjoining rooms?
Posted By: Blank

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/13/20 06:08 PM

I have a 5000 BTU window unit that I use for my living. room and dining area, when it gets extra hot. Only need it about 3-4 weeks a year here in Idaho. It's about 15x20 feet and open, and does a pretty good job at keeping the temps down in the 70's. For your use, I would recommend at least a 10,000 BTU unit that will cool 400-500 sq.ft., and if the walls close off the bedroom areas much, then use a couple box fans to move the cooler air. Gonna cost about $300-400 for a new unit, so look for good used ones first.
Posted By: Cast

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/13/20 06:10 PM

Sounds like you need what I’m considering for the lake house. A multi zone split system unit. I recommend Fredrich.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/14/20 01:31 AM

I like the mini split systems, but not sure if I would add one to a lease location, So I would go with a window unit, but for a deer lease I would use a swamp cooler, cheap as possible.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/14/20 02:10 AM

I would get one of those portable A/C units. They vent out the window. You could secure your house much easier than with a window unit. I have an extra room that's about 15x17 and use one that is 8,000 BTU and it does a pretty good job cooling that amount of space.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/14/20 02:56 AM

Jetdad, what is extent of venting on those; running hose out a very partially opened window or something?
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/14/20 03:13 AM

It’s a pain in the butt, get a 10,000 btu window unit and be done.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/14/20 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Jetdad, what is extent of venting on those; running hose out a very partially opened window or something?

Yes DQ it runs out the window via a flexible tube. Google portable AC unit. You can get them at Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy or online.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/15/20 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster

yep and a little extra make it burglar proof, is some one wants in bad enough " they will get in"
p.s. I reframed the window opening, there is 1/16 over all opening
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/15/20 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster

Yep, I wouldn't consider anything below 8k BTU. I mounted one in the wall (12K BTU), up high, in my mobile home, with a camera next to it. The one in our bedroom I install when I get there and bring back in when I leave. It's heavy but it makes a big difference.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/15/20 09:53 PM

I have an 8k window unit in my 26ft travel trailer. With a floor fan it cools the entire space very well. I tried to go cheap with a 5k but returned it after 1 day.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/15/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
I like the mini split systems, but not sure if I would add one to a lease location, So I would go with a window unit, but for a deer lease I would use a swamp cooler, cheap as possible.

Swamp coolers only work in low humidity areas. Like 5% humidity.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/15/20 11:49 PM

We run a 10k btu unit in the Front Room/Kitchen. In 90 degree days, it will also cool the 2 bedrooms without a problem (768 sq foot cabin). When it gets real hot like 100, we have 5k units for each room. We rarely use the bedroom ac units.

In the winter we have a nice lamp heater for the front room and each bedroom has the small electric, oil filled heaters. Even on 20 degree days, we never put the bedroom units on very high. And, I never put a heater in the bedroom. I love sleeping in 60 degrees.
Posted By: B_Man

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/16/20 11:35 AM

Don't forget that on July 13th is Amazon day where you can pick up some good deals at good prices so
you might be able to pick up a portable AC unit besides Lowe's, Home Depot etc.. Last year I picked up an
e-caller for a fantastic price compared to BP, Cabelas etc. . Just a thought where fellow hunters might go to
save some $$
Posted By: glocker17

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/22/20 07:57 PM

Avoid the portables, they just don't cool very well compared to a wall unit. Also create some weird pressure issues when you open doors and such. A cheap mini split be good as well. I have a 8000 but LG window unit that runs a 8x24 cabin. Ice cold and very quiet.

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/22/20 11:42 PM

thanks for the replies guys. I wont pull the trigger for another month or so but im still listening to what yall have to say. Ill probably get a regular window unit, just not sure what size or brand. Yalls input has really helped on the size.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/23/20 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
thanks for the replies guys. I wont pull the trigger for another month or so but im still listening to what yall have to say. Ill probably get a regular window unit, just not sure what size or brand. Yalls input has really helped on the size.

40’ container- R19 insulation
7x12 room -6k BTU GE
7x25’ room - 8k BTU cool/heat Fridgaire

For what ever reason the 8k unit is weak, I had a 8k GE cool/heat in a 7x19 container And it would freeze you out, in STX in October. I may of just got a bad unit. Moisture control is a big deal, so make sure you get one with a dehumidifier if your house/cabin etc is sealed pretty good
Posted By: redchevy

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/23/20 02:14 AM

Make sure you have the correct power service for the unit you buy many of the larger window units are 240V. We have 2 18 or 20k btu window units in our camp house in south Texas and they keep it cool.

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/23/20 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Make sure you have the correct power service for the unit you buy many of the larger window units are 240V. We have 2 18 or 20k btu window units in our camp house in south Texas and they keep it cool.

Red, good point on the 240. I actually had that setup on a window unit i added to travel trailer years ago but had not thought about it yet on this one. Thanks. Little stuff like this is why I love this forum.
Posted By: StephenB

Re: A/C window unit for hunting house/cabin - 06/23/20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by glocker17
Avoid the portables, they just don't cool very well compared to a wall unit. Also create some weird pressure issues when you open doors and such. A cheap mini split be good as well. I have a 8000 but LG window unit that runs a 8x24 cabin. Ice cold and very quiet.

Yeah, a window unit is more efficient. The portables use already cooled air from inside to cool the condenser coils and then pump that air outside. That creates a vacuum inside that sucks hot outside air in through cracks and doors, etc. Plus portables make lots more noise.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum