Texas Hunting Forum

Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer?

Posted By: 5Redman8

Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 03:59 PM

After researching and looking for buddies to hunt with.....elk is not gonna happen this year.

Now looking for a Mule Deer hunt....preferably guided since I will be solo. Looking for high chance of success on a representative Mule deer buck. Does not have to be a giant.

Any recommendations for guides/outfitter for a reasonably expensive Mule deer hunt?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 04:50 PM

I've been looking for a MD hunt myself, but I'm looking for a trophy, a chance at a 180"+. They are pretty tough to find unless you want to pay 10k+. I'm also alone on this quest, if you find something interesting let me know, and I'll do the same.

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
I've been looking for a MD hunt myself, but I'm looking for a trophy, a chance at a 180"+. They are pretty tough to find unless you want to pay 10k+. I'm also alone on this quest, if you find something interesting let me know, and I'll do the same.

Will do....Appreciate it.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 05:12 PM

Most draws are over, Wyoming has a leftover draw in late June or so.
Late for outfitters this year too perhaps, most good ones will be booked unless they had a client not draw.
Landowner tag perhaps.
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 05:26 PM

You may want to consider Canada.
Posted By: Dakota79

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 05:49 PM

Give Ryan a call 605 210 1440 for some mule deer options in Nebraska.
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8
After researching and looking for buddies to hunt with.....elk is not gonna happen this year.

Now looking for a Mule Deer hunt....preferably guided since I will be solo. Looking for high chance of success on a representative Mule deer buck. Does not have to be a giant.

Any recommendations for guides/outfitter for a reasonably expensive Mule deer hunt?

Right here in Texas is a good place for a representative mule deer. Lots of good outfitters I'm sure, I've worked in the past with so recommend Desert Safaris and Rocky Woodford. New Mexico is a great place to, as is Colorado on Ranching for Wildlife properties, but the prices go up, as does the common trophy quality. TriState Outfitters is who I used to work with and recommended in those states. Good luck to ya!
Posted By: Blank

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 06:23 PM

I would research South Dakota for quality MD hunts. I believe they have the highest quality available right now, and a lot of good outfitters. Look on the internet for the various ones, and check out their photos. Might be able to find an opening or get on a cancellation list. The application period for some of the better controlled hunts is this Friday, June 12th.
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
I would research South Dakota for quality MD hunts. I believe they have the highest quality available right now, and a lot of good outfitters. Look on the internet for the various ones, and check out their photos. Might be able to find an opening or get on a cancellation list. The application period for some of the better controlled hunts is this Friday, June 12th.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, western Kansas and Nebraska have some interesting mule deer hunts with outfitters too, Sagebrush Hunts and another outfitter in Nebraska that I just can't think of were good in the past. Reasonably priced too.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 07:47 PM

I would put some serious thought into a guided hunt in Nebraska.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 07:50 PM

Sonora’s rut is in Jan

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 09:36 PM

Sonora is where I would go 100% of the time if I had that kind of spare change. Which I don’t.

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fitzwho
Sonora is where I would go 100% of the time if I had that kind of spare change. Which I don’t.

I’d rotate between there and Alberta. Although I do like desert country better

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 11:25 PM

Did I misspell AFFORDABLE?

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/08/20 11:37 PM

? you said guided, best of luck to you

Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/09/20 03:18 AM

Yes, actually, you did.

Remember that these are your options. Fast, cheap, and quality. You may only pick two.

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/09/20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Yes, actually, you did.

Remember that these are your options. Fast, cheap, and quality. You may only pick two.

HA!!!!....you are right. That should have said INEXPENSIVE
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/09/20 03:50 PM

"Any recommendations for guides/outfitter for a reasonably expensive Mule deer hunt?"

OP even if you meant "inexpensive" that word has a different meaning $$$ to different folks, hunters/adventurer persons. I'd love to hunt Alberta or Sonora MX or with Jeremy at Sagebrush but those are not within my means at the moment. Good Luck and your research will eventually pay off. I anticipate there will be some later or last minute deals /cancellations coming up
Posted By: freerange

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/09/20 04:13 PM

I understand you may not want to tie yourself down to a stated budget but if you really want some help from guys on here it would be very helpful to offer at least some type of a range of budget.

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/09/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
"Any recommendations for guides/outfitter for a reasonably expensive Mule deer hunt?"

OP even if you meant "inexpensive" that word has a different meaning $$$ to different folks, hunters/adventurer persons. I'd love to hunt Alberta or Sonora MX or with Jeremy at Sagebrush but those are not within my means at the moment. Good Luck and your research will eventually pay off. I anticipate there will be some later or last minute deals /cancellations coming up

Originally Posted by freerange
I understand you may not want to tie yourself down to a stated budget but if you really want some help from guys on here it would be very helpful to offer at least some type of a range of budget.

Y'all are both correct.

The members here have a wide range of incomes and what is expensive to one may not be to another.

I am looking to stay under $3,000.....I know it is not enough for a 160+ mule deer....that is why I am open to management hunts but at the same time this is a lot of money to me and I am not looking to kill some young fork horn.

The reality is that I likely will not hunt either mule deer or elk this year....and I may not be able to at all. On DIY public land hunts a person has to accept it as a camping trip with the slight possibility of success. Being solo and completely out of my comfort zone, that does not appeal to me.

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/10/20 12:46 AM

I figured you meant inexpensive. That’s why my initial post was Nebraska. Eastern Colorado might be another choice.

My response to Bobo was just to agree that Sonora is on my list, but not in my budget either. Maybe one day.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/10/20 12:56 AM

Look for management hunts with Desert Safaris, Wildlife Systems, etc in West Texas. There are several big ranches out there that do not allow trophy hunts but will sell management hunts. All the outfitters and larger have a lot of those type hunts that never get filled up. Still may be more than your price range though even as a management deer hunt. Best bet may be to get on a mule deer lease in your price range....but those lease prices are going up also.

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/10/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fitzwho
I figured you meant inexpensive. That’s why my initial post was Nebraska. Eastern Colorado might be another choice.

My response to Bobo was just to agree that Sonora is on my list, but not in my budget either. Maybe one day.

Eastern Co is up there with Alberta/Sonora now, with cash in hand you can find some exceptional last min cancellation deals.

He is on his own.

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/10/20 02:09 AM

I have booked an elk hunt here on the forum!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/10/20 02:47 AM

I saw that and laughed. Congrats and good luck Sir cheers
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/22/20 04:01 PM

cheers been rooting for you from the sidelines! Congrats!

Re: Elk Hunting is Out....What about Mule Deer? - 06/22/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
cheers been rooting for you from the sidelines! Congrats!

I appreciate it!!!

Walked/ran 5 miles yesterday and I am down 10lbs.

40lbs to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum