Texas Hunting Forum

You better start some coyote control

Posted By: don k

You better start some coyote control - 06/06/20 10:53 PM

So far on 350 acres I have caught 6 coyotes in snares. No wonder I haven't raised any Mouflon or Antelope in few years.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/06/20 11:12 PM

yep, most people don't realize how much damage they do to the fawn crop
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/06/20 11:13 PM

Share some pics of your snare placements- pleasev
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/06/20 11:41 PM

Glad to hear you are snaring them guys. For us any hole under the fence gets a snare. We will snare any critter making holes. They are a pathway for coyotes.
Posted By: crash700

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/07/20 01:04 AM

Only good yote is a dead yote. I’ve also snared a few hogs going under fence lines.
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/07/20 02:26 PM

I would like to try snaring. How do you keep from snaring a deer?

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/07/20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sidebuster
I would like to try snaring. How do you keep from snaring a deer?

We only snare holes under the fence where critters have dug under, a deer would have to be goofy to put its head in a hole. The only accidental catch that we ever had was a turkey caught his foot in a snare that had been pulled out by the last varmint through the hole. The turkey was released unharmed.
Posted By: don k

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/07/20 10:23 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I make my own snares. 3/32 inch cable. A little over 3 ft. long. A swivel where I te it to the fence. I put about an 8 inch loop. I either use a piece of tie wire to make a clip to hold it where I want or use very thin copper wire. Coyotes holes under a fence are fairly large. They will throw dirt back close to 3 ft. where they dig. Coons Aramadillos and rabbits make holes under fences but they are not nearly as large. I do not worry about those. I have never caught a Deer. I have caught a few Turkeys a Javi and an Aoudad. The javi I turned loose after a fight. The others were expired.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/07/20 10:39 PM

cool
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/07/20 10:46 PM

Talking with my Trapper in Leon County, he said he has seen an increase in coyotes this year and has heard that more bob cats are being seen than normal.

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/07/20 11:05 PM

That looks like some good sets there Don. Smart to cover the bottom of the loop with some dirt. up
Posted By: yotehater

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/16/20 08:09 PM

Those paths look well used too. If you've caught six you have dozens. Good luck.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/16/20 08:54 PM

I need to get back to keeping my snares going. Caught a few hogs, and two coyotes. Catching a hog, I've been able to reuse the snare again. Coyotes seem to thrash so bad, they ruin the snare cable.

I might average a coyote shoot every other week, throughout the year. No calling, just seeing them in passing. They do not get a pass, EVER. When my house is done, I'm gonna do some walking and calling. I know we have scores of them around me. Just listen when the sun goes down.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: You better start some coyote control - 06/16/20 10:17 PM

I start snaring in Jan. every year when the coyotes are more active in the colder temps and their is less for them to eat. Set leg catch traps in late March or April when it was a bit drier here this year. Call a few when in the blinds or I see one around the house. They are harder to snare or catch right now with fawning season and lot of young rabbits around. Still trying with snares and leg catch now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum