Texas Hunting Forum

Need snake boot recommendations

Posted By: pmnitro

Need snake boot recommendations - 04/28/20 02:26 AM

Time to replace a worn out pair of boots. Do you have a favorite snake boot to recommend? Would like to be $200 or less if possible.
Thanks in advance
Posted By: Bayharbor

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/28/20 02:38 AM

I have a pair of rubber slip on Muck snake boots that I really like. I’ve had them for four years and they are the most comfortable snake boots I’ve owned.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/28/20 12:59 PM

I've had Justin's for years and have liked them, held up the one time I got hit.

I always put new insoles in them, I think the ones they come with are crap.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/28/20 01:35 PM

Danner sharptails are most comfortable but over $200

For the price just get the foreverlast snake guards. Think they are 40 at academy.

Started wearing the foreverlast’s Pronghorn hunting because I like my hiking boots for anything over mile or two
Posted By: kry226

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/28/20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by TKandMike
I've had Justin's for years and have liked them, held up the one time I got hit.

I always put new insoles in them, I think the ones they come with are crap.

The thing I dislike about the Justins are the lack of coverage at the top of the boot at the front and especially the back. And for me personally, I've never had a pair of Justins that fit me really well. I'm currently in a nice pair of Chips. Very sturdy boots but they're certainly not made for walking long distances. Next time I have a couple Benjamins burning a hole in my pocket, I may just invest in a pair of Danners.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/28/20 01:44 PM

Danners.

I ordered chippewas to begin with, and one boot was a .25 size larger than the other. They were also made overseas, unlike danners.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/28/20 01:49 PM

Justin, a little more than the $200, but I have been wearing them for years. In the warmer months, you will never find me in the pasture without 'em. Just ain't gonna happen. Comfortable enough that I used to wear them everyday. Yes, that was quite a while ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judd

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/28/20 11:36 PM

Muck doesn’t make a snake boot pair anymore, I tried to buy a pair because everywhere I looked for a rubber snake boot several people would mention them. I looked and even tried to find a new older year pair and couldn’t.

I ended up with LaCrosse because I wanted an all around waterproof snake boot that I could wear year round. Most of the leather ones are not waterproof. Chippewa will get a lot of recommendations but they are uncomfortable on my feet. I have to have a soft heel.

Rockys fit my feet best but they’ve done something within the last 10 years and their boots are junk. Kills me to say it but I tried two different boots recently and neither made it more than two weekends at the lease but they were comfortable rolleyes It’s a shame too, I wore Rocky’s almost exclusively for over 20 years.

Good luck!
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/29/20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
Muck doesn’t make a snake boot pair anymore, I tried to buy a pair because everywhere I looked for a rubber snake boot several people would mention them. I looked and even tried to find a new older year pair and couldn’t.

I ended up with LaCrosse because I wanted an all around waterproof snake boot that I could wear year round. Most of the leather ones are not waterproof. Chippewa will get a lot of recommendations but they are uncomfortable on my feet. I have to have a soft heel.

Rockys fit my feet best but they’ve done something within the last 10 years and their boots are junk. Kills me to say it but I tried two different boots recently and neither made it more than two weekends at the lease but they were comfortable rolleyes It’s a shame too, I wore Rocky’s almost exclusively for over 20 years.

Good luck!

Danner sharptail is a leather that is completely waterproof. It has a goretex liner in it.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/29/20 02:32 AM

You can get a combo that's insulated, waterproof and snake proof.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/29/20 03:49 AM

I’ve had Chippewa and Danners. Danner wins by a mile.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/29/20 04:23 AM

I bought a pair of Rocky’s last winter and am tickled with them. Great fit for my size 13s, lightweight, easy on/off.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/30/20 09:09 PM

Would like to find a lightweight pair of boots. With bad knees the extra weight of good boots are not good. Any suggestions?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/30/20 10:20 PM

wear shorts and tennis shoes but keep your eyes pealed loser8 bolt
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/30/20 10:39 PM

Only one's I found local that would fit with my large calves were the Academy brand. Going on 6years now, lightweight.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 04/30/20 11:45 PM

My favorite is the Danner Pronghorn zip up/lace up. I caught mine on sale for $235. Well worth the price and never had a leak but I use Danner's waterproof gel on them.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 12:29 AM

I have Chippewa's. I hate 'em!

Be sure to get some lighter weight boots & with an easy off-on arrangement like zippers.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 12:54 AM

I have red head brand from bps and they are lite weight dam near knee high. not pricy but don't know if they work, never been struck. Justin boots don't fit me right Chitty boots IMO

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Originally Posted by Judd

Good luck!

Danner sharptail is a leather that is completely waterproof. It has a goretex liner in it.

I don’t like the Chuker look.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 01:41 AM

I use the academy ones going on 6 yrs at least, well under 200.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

For the price just get the foreverlast snake guards. Think they are 40 at academy.

Started wearing the foreverlast’s Pronghorn hunting because I like my hiking boots for anything over mile or two

Have never owned Danners. I love my Chippewa's, I forget now how many years I've had them. They were a mofo to break in, but once broken in they are very comfortable. I used to always wear the Foreverlast from Academy. Cheap and light weight, I never got more than 2-3 yrs out of them though.

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

Have never owned Danners. I love my Chippewa's, I forget now how many years I've had them. They were a mofo to break in, but once broken in they are very comfortable. I used to always wear the Foreverlast from Academy. Cheap and light weight, I never got more than 2-3 yrs out of them though.

My only complaint in danner is they don’t make a non water proof sharp tail. Get sweaty.

The guards not the boots. Boots are a good deal too but won’t get same mileage as danner a, but 1/2 prices too

https://www.sportsmans.com/clothing...fB0RS6RyAa210t_6vtVv5lTDFxMaAiZ6EALw_wcB

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 07:20 PM

up

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 07:42 PM

up

You on shore next week?

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 07:54 PM

up

You on shore next week?

Yes Sir, working from home.

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 08:03 PM

up

You on shore next week?

smile might be down there. Will ping you if I go fish

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 08:17 PM

up

You on shore next week?

That sounds good!

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/01/20 08:22 PM

up

You on shore next week?

<— checked phone....nope not this time frown
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/04/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
I have Chippewa's. I hate 'em!

Be sure to get some lighter weight boots & with an easy off-on arrangement like zippers.

My Chippewa’s have a full length zipper on the back. Easy on and off.

And they can be resoled.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/04/20 02:26 PM

If you already have hunting boots you like I think snake-proof gators may be an option. Just a thought - I've no experience with them.
Posted By: JRayD2

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/12/20 01:39 PM

Twisted X Snake Boots

These are the most comfortable snake boots that I have found, but they are over $200.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/12/20 01:59 PM

Alright, those look awesomely comfortable - more like snake proof moccasins.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/12/20 07:49 PM

I had a pair of Red Head for 9 years and a pair of Ricky's for the last 3. Both have done very well.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/13/20 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by grizzlyman
My favorite is the Danner Pronghorn zip up/lace up. I caught mine on sale for $235. Well worth the price and never had a leak but I use Danner's waterproof gel on them.

x2. Very happy with the same boot. Extremely comfortable right out of the box and much lighter weight than I expected.

Find a pair on sale and it'll be worth the $40-$50 extra.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 05/21/20 04:17 PM

I wouldn't buy Rocky snake boots. I have them. While comfortable, they are NOT waterproof at all despite the claims by Rocky as being waterproof. I actually returned the 1st pair to Rocky because they leaked profusely even going through wet grass. To Rocky's credit, they did send me a new pair. But, they are the same. My feet get soaked anytime there is any moisture on the ground.

I have a 15 year old pair of Chippewa's that my oldest son has used the last few years. Those are great boots. Comfortable, durable, and a classic look.
Posted By: pmnitro

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 06/18/20 11:44 PM

Danner's semi annual sale started today. I ordered the Sharptail boots for $217.50 plus tax and the shipping is free. Done!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 06/19/20 12:23 AM

I have Chippewas and Justin’s.

The chips are a tad more comfortable...the Justin’s look way better and less people have them so I prefer the Justin’s
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 06/20/20 02:26 AM

I like the Twisted X boots, they fit me better than any others that I have had.
Posted By: duckkillah

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 06/30/20 05:30 PM

Just got a pair of Irish Setter Vaprtrek snake boots last year, and they are hands down the most comfortable snake boot on the market. They are extremely light, and seem to actually be waterproof! No break-in required....they were comfortable right out of the box. Time will tell how they hold up, but I am very pleased with them so far.
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 07/15/20 01:34 AM

I have a pair of Rocky's too. While they are very comfortable and seem to be holding up pretty well to Carta Valley rock, my ankles will itch like a SOB for 2-3 days after wearing them for any length of time. And they've done that since new. I'm also on the hunt for a new boot confused2
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Need snake boot recommendations - 07/15/20 01:58 AM

Danner
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum