Texas Hunting Forum

Shot placement on hogs

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 02:20 PM

I typically shoot them about 3" farther back. Last weekend I shot a couple here, as shown best on the hog pictured solo. The one in the group of three was shot from a high angle, the bloody spot is the exit. The results were the same as the shot placement that is usually back a bit. On the shots shown, the exit was more traumatic, way more blood loss but just like the other shot placement they dropped on the spot. I'm learning that the kill shot on pigs is bigger than I once thought, about 6"Ø. 6.5 Creedmoor, 129 gr. SST

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 02:25 PM

up Yes, always a head or high neck for me. NEVER in the shoulder, unless you want them to run.

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 02:28 PM

Yeah, it's not a small spot.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 02:44 PM

In the neck just behind the head works for me.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 02:54 PM

Yeah man, that's the way to do it for sure, stack em up.

I find the margin of error is a little bigger when I go behind the ear a little further, but definitely not into the shoulder. Its a learn where to shoot them kind of thing for sure, esp in a thermal unit. I can show you on a pic all day long and you can post pics all day long, but until you have some under your belt and you "learn" where to guide the death lead, you tend to put them back to far or miss too far forward into the head.

The good news is my son and I have that spot, we know where to tag the beasts, and they tend to drop right there. pretty fun stuff, just don't get enough action on my place.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 03:03 PM

I've never had any problem behind the neck in between the shoulder if I want to drop them. That's a large area.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 03:17 PM

where I tag them too when given the opportunity.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 03:18 PM

I have no problem with neck shots, but have found that center of the shoulder works just great for me. Center of the shoulder has become my favorite spot to get one anymore and works 100% for me. No having to track a wounded one....they drop on the spot.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
where I tag them too when given the opportunity.

scratch given the opportunity, cheers

OP up
flag

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Old Stony
I have no problem with neck shots, but have found that center of the shoulder works just great for me. Center of the shoulder has become my favorite spot to get one anymore and works 100% for me. No having to track a wounded one....they drop on the spot.

I hear ya. In the group of three I only had the opportunity to be selective with my shot on the first one. I killed all of em, and none of them ran out of sight.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 05:15 PM

100 yards or less, right behind the ear. Shots passed that, front shoulder for me.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 06:54 PM

up
Posted By: PMK

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 08:09 PM

when really trying to thin them out on a number of places I hunt that are truly over run, line up on the first one and wait to get 2-4 more lined up behind the prime target.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/14/20 10:41 PM

The first one gets drilled in the ear. After that I simply try to hit the front half.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/15/20 02:05 AM

Few days ago a sow was broadside at 200 yards. 162 A-max behind the ear, but a tad lower on the neck. Azz then chin on the ground. Head or neck is pretty reliable, shoulder not so much.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/15/20 02:36 AM

The two I shot a couple of hours ago were at a slow trot, not moving too fast. About 175 out from me. I didn’t feel like I could be too precise, so I shot the first one right through the shoulders. Didn’t drop him. They reversed course, coming back my way and I shot the the second one through the shoulders and finished off the first one with another round. Through the shoulders often stops their movement, but it seems they need one more round to close the deal.

Hogs are tough critters. Given time, I’d prefer a CNS shot.

I said I’d switch to the 270 for hogs, but I haven’t yet.
Posted By: Bayharbor

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/16/20 12:52 AM

I typically gut shoot em and let them run off so I don’t have to handle them.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/16/20 12:58 AM

Off switch directly behind the ear.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/16/20 12:59 AM

Looks like that Wilson is working out just fine.

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/16/20 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
Looks like that Wilson is working out just fine.

Yes sir, it is. Thanks again for the info.
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: Shot placement on hogs - 04/16/20 12:55 PM

I tell my boys right behind and below the ear. Drops them every time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum