Texas Hunting Forum

Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs?

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 02:14 AM

Has anyone used a drone with a thermal camera on it for finding or locating pigs? I’m interested in using one for locating more pigs on our place. Any legal issues? Just curious.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 03:23 AM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/law-enforcement-faq/drones-uavs

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 03:35 AM

Oh, well that answered that question!! Thanks!!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 03:39 AM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/aerial_wl_management/

Charlie
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 04:35 PM

Are hogs considered 'wildlife' these days?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 07:06 PM

You have to read the actual law, not the TPWD summary. Their summaries are not always accurate.

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 07:10 PM

So, for scouting and finding hogs, it is legal or not?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 07:14 PM

Did you read the actual regulations?

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 07:22 PM

Well, my game warden just informed me that you are not allowed to fly a personal drone at night anyway.

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 07:35 PM

I have my Part 107 Certificate. For personal use, you can fly at night. To be paid to fly (commercial work), you cannot fly at night without a 107 Certificate and a night waiver. Stay under 400ft and know what airspace (B4UFLY app or many others) you're going to be flying in.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

You have to have the TPWD permit to basically do anything with wildlife and a UAV, and for a safe assumption for this discussion, hogs are wildlife.

Just to ask, what are you flying?

Charlie
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 10:21 PM

This is too complicated for this old man, I would just do what I want. Hogs are hogs. rifle
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 10:23 PM

Is this something that is easier to ask forgiveness for after the fact rather than ask for permission?

I mean what could they possibly do to you if you are flying a drone on your property away from other houses or people? Isn’t like you could be tried for being a peeping Tom or anything....get the drone taken away? Go to
Jail For flying a drone....hardly seems like they would go that route.

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/10/20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Is this something that is easier to ask forgiveness for after the fact rather than ask for permission?

I mean what could they possibly do to you if you are flying a drone on your property away from other houses or people? Isn’t like you could be tried for being a peeping Tom or anything....get the drone taken away? Go to

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Well, my game warden just informed me that you are not allowed to fly a personal drone at night anyway.

To legally do it, you need the same permits helicopter pilots get to run a door gunner on them. I have no idea what you have to prove or pay, to get the permit. Texas Administrative Code (TAC §65.152) is the statute where all this is codified. In the statute, you can't fly at night to video or hunt even with the permit. It's a Class A Misdemeanor, not a ticket, for a violation.

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/11/20 12:20 AM

Where do you see that it says no night UAV flying with a permit? It says “no taking”, I don’t see any references to looking with a UAV.

Link to Statute

Charlie

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/11/20 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Where do you see that it says no night UAV flying with a permit? It says “no taking”, I don’t see any references to looking with a UAV.

Link to Statute

Charlie

"Take," except as otherwise provided by this code, means collect, hook, hunt, net, shoot, or snare, by any means or device, and includes an attempt to take or to pursue in order to take.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/11/20 01:52 AM

It’s all friggin stupid government overreacting..... 2cents

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/11/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Link to Statute

Charlie

"Take," except as otherwise provided by this code, means collect, hook, hunt, net, shoot, or snare, by any means or device, and includes an attempt to take or to pursue in order to take.

I don’t agree with your interpretation as it pertains to UAV’s, but maybe I’m wrong... I sent an email to TPWD asking for clarity/confirmation. I’ll post up what I hear back.

Charlie
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/11/20 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

You don’t own the air space over your property above a certain point. Basically, if the county has a deed of no buildings above 80 feet, that’s where your air ownership stops. You can buy and sell those air rights under the set height, basically if your neighbor wants to build a large building blocking your view of whatever you like looking at, you could purchase the air rights over his property from him and it would prevent him from building, obviously he has to agree to this.

Prior to the twentieth century, it was believed that you owned the space above your property to heaven and the soil to hell

Re: Drone with thermal camera for locating pigs? - 04/11/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Link to Statute

Charlie

I don’t agree with your interpretation as it pertains to UAV’s, but maybe I’m wrong... I sent an email to TPWD asking for clarity/confirmation. I’ll post up what I hear back.

Charlie

Each and every Game Warden interprets and enforces the codified laws of Texas without consulting with the clerk who is going to respond to your email. I wouldn't want to touch "Looking" as not hunting, with a ten foot pole, especially with it being a Class A Misdemeanor. Good luck to you in your endeavors.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum