Texas Hunting Forum

Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft

Posted By: longgunner

Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/29/20 06:37 PM

With the crazy virus and crashing oil prices, it is likely that theft is going to pick up. Post your ideas on how you keep your place safe. Here are few:

1) Keep more than one set up gates to your property if possible
2) Motion camera linked to cell phones for real time images of folks entering property
3) Kill switch on tractors and ATVS
4) Remove starter fuse on tractors and ATVS
5) Chain equipment down
6) Post sign on door of cabin notifying folks that door is booby trapped - enter at own risk
7) Spike strips on road in that can be removed when owner arrives

Keep em coming...…
Posted By: don k

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/29/20 07:15 PM

I have a half mile of 20 ft. lane with a locked gate at the end. So far so good for the last 20 years.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/30/20 12:08 AM

I filled my blind with wasps and then tested the system on my buddy. Next time, I will have to get killer vampire bats...

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/30/20 01:00 AM

In East Texas my blind deep in the woods is made from an old camper. My hunting buddy and I were talking about this just the other day. Idea we came up with was to hang old doll heads from the trees all around my camper. Think about it.... What would you do if you were trespassing in the woods and walked up on that?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/30/20 03:59 AM

Shipping container locked
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/30/20 03:15 PM

Had my 18 ft trailer stolen 3 years ago. Had left it in front of cabin 100 ft off paved rd. They cut my chain. Tried to cut lock but was too hard then cut unhardened chain. Now use heavy duty heat tread chain and lock. Never leave stuff in road view. Put key type both sides dead bolt lock in addition to door lock. Dead Bolt enters frame. guess they could pull door off if they want. Leave all equipment out of site remove front tires from tractor and mule and hide. Hoping to make it too much work to steal my limited valuables. Never leave anything or real value behind. Have several game cameras hidden with a couple in view around cabin Keeping my fingers crossed.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/31/20 04:01 PM

I have a "Ring" camera/doorbell. It senses movemebt and streams the video and audio live on the internet. And I can talk to the intruder through the speaker in the canera- 2 way audio. So I can See and hear everything around the door and speak to anyone that shows up. Sends notifications to your phone.

I think everybody should get one.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/31/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by laid over
I have a "Ring" camera/doorbell. It senses movemebt and streams the video and audio live on the internet. And I can talk to the intruder through the speaker in the canera- 2 way audio. So I can See and hear everything around the door and speak to anyone that shows up. Sends notifications to your phone.

Since this is about hunting location what is your internet connection for the Ring? Wireless hotspot?

Our camp and 1.5 miles behind gate. No issues in 16 years luckily.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/31/20 05:14 PM

Keep as much as you can out of sight. Rather than keep things stored together at a camp site, buy covers and store what you can far enough from camp so it will take thieves more time and effort to find them. After all, this is what thieves do to keep LEO's from finding them.

Remove the wheels from other equipment to make them very difficult to load.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/31/20 06:09 PM

The thieves are pretty smart these days. Was on a place a few years back that got hit. You couldn't see camp from the road, but the sheriff said they look for power lines and if they see a transformer there is a good chance it could be a hunting camp. We installed a camera way up in a tree at the gate. Got a picture of a truck and partial license plate. Sheriff said he knew that truck - turned out it was the son of the oil guy and he knew the gate combo to many ranches.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 03/31/20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Originally Posted by laid over

Since this is about hunting location what is your internet connection for the Ring? Wireless hotspot?

Our camp and 1.5 miles behind gate. No issues in 16 years luckily.

This is what I have at home. I only hunt at home or on corps lakes so I don't have that problem.

Now if you have an extra mobile device (I have a couple) you could pay an extra $17 a month or so for wifi hotspot and just leave it connected out there, unless you are off grid.

Even off grid I bet you could get by on something solar just to keep the phone charged and Ring charged.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 04/01/20 12:26 AM

No camp with in sight of a public road.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 04/01/20 12:38 AM

Land mines
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Post your ideas on how you keep your hunting locations protected from theft - 04/01/20 06:23 PM

The farthest away you can get from the front gate. 5 miles for us. The sacrifice is generator power instead of plug in electricity. We could get it near our gate........
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum