Texas Hunting Forum

Do turtles count?

Posted By: 603Country

Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 09:28 PM

The wife is very protective of her pond fish. She worries that turtles are gonna eat em all up. So yesterday she got her itty bitty Browning micro lever action 22 and sat on our dock and shot turtles. I really think she got em all. I’m sure the fish are relieved...
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 09:34 PM

Lovely way to spend an afternoon......
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 09:57 PM

Nothing wrong with that up
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 10:04 PM

Turtle tank hunting is always a good time.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 10:33 PM

Atta girl up
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 10:35 PM

Just a PSA, but turtles don't eat fish, besides snappers. They're basically the vultures of the fish world.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 10:42 PM

Sitting on a tailgate poppin turtles is right of passage. Good times right there.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 10:48 PM

They just don't count very high.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 10:48 PM

My grandma used to love shooting turtles.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 10:55 PM

I'd bet she didn't get them all ... I have spent countless hours on tank dams thinking I killed them all, just to come back a couple days later to see a bunch of heads. But it's a great pass time with a 22
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Just a PSA, but turtles don't eat fish, besides snappers. They're basically the vultures of the fish world.

Red ear sliders, most common tank turtle around here that I know of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OMsOnycWus

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/09/20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
I'd bet she didn't get them all ... I have spent countless hours on tank dams thinking I killed them all, just to come back a couple days later to see a bunch of heads. But it's a great pass time with a 22

Been shooting those things almost 50 years....many a fine afternoon spent sinking turtles..... cheers
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 01:09 AM

Turtles eating fish? Have you ever seen a Turtle out-swim a fish?

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 01:15 AM

Well, that is a good point about fish speed versus turtle speed. But, my wife says that turtles eat small fish (google says so).

Anyway, I like that she was slinging lead with her little peashooter and smiling.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 01:15 AM

There used to be a hilarious turtle-shootin' thread on here. I guess it might have gotten zapped. Can anyone find it. I've tried with no luck.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 01:27 AM

Turtles
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 02:31 AM

I’d buy the beer for a fine turtle hunt
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Stub
Atta girl up
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 02:58 AM

I’ve killed many a red ear slider in my day.

I don’t like snapping turtles but I hesitate to kill them because they get to live to such an old age

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Turtles eating fish? Have you ever seen a Turtle out-swim a fish?

Two posts before yours.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 03:01 AM

I am not 100% this is a accurate story , but it Just may be.

I asked a older shooting acquaintance about somewhere in the area that I could go to shoot & learn the art of Long Distance 22LR Sub shooting. He did not know of anywhere close around the DFW area for 22 league shooting or matches. But if I ever get the chance to shoot a match called " Turtle 400" or "Texas Turtle shoot" something along those lines to do so and it would help my long distance 22 shooting.

He explained that the average pond was approx. 400 yards across - They would set the match up on one side and try to head shoot turtles for score also off logs was fair also. I have never seen this on a organized basis but this is Texas . texas

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Living in an aquarium I'd eat whatever I got fed too lol.

I'm sure they're opportunistic, but they're not a detriment to your fish population. They are fun to shoot though.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 11:31 AM

I consider turtles to be beneficial . As said,they are the clean up crew of the pond. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them catch a fish. But, suppose they can and do.

No way I would shoot them.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 11:36 AM

We always thought they eat fish eggs any way I shoot them.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 12:49 PM

I remember once as a kid fishing my grandparents tanks near Brownwood. I had a stringer full of bass I was gonna cook up. I left them on the stringer to go eat lunch. I came right back to try to add to my stringer and the stringer was holding nothing but the heads of the fish I had put on there. The turtles found them and demolished them in a short amount of time. I have no problem paying some of their relatives back for my loss rifle
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 01:00 PM

Put a minnow under a bobber then drag it passed a turtle. They move a lot faster than you think. We thin them but don't try to kill'em all.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 01:04 PM

Turtles with a .22 is a blast, turtles with a 22-250 is even more fun, but more expensive. It's a great afternoon.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by TKandMike
Turtles with a .22 is a blast, turtles with a 22-250 is even more fun, but more expensive. It's a great afternoon.

Try with a .17HMR

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line

Try with a .17HMR

I have a .17HMR just for turtles!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 02:38 PM

Man its been tooooo long since if shot turtles in a pond with a 22.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 03:37 PM

I'm glad she had a good outing. That is a great way to spend time outside. up
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by westtexaswatkins
I had a stringer full of bass I was gonna cook up. I left them on the stringer to go eat lunch. I came right back to try to add to my stringer and the stringer was holding nothing but the heads of the fish I had put on there. The turtles found them and demolished them in a short amount of time. I have no problem paying some of their relatives back for my loss rifle

Same thing happened to my dad's trot-line when I was a kid. Bunch of decent catfish skeletons was about all that was left.

Also recall a video in elementary school of a turtle fishing. Turtle kept mouth open and wiggled his "tongue" that looked like a worm. Fish came to investigate and became lunch. I shoot em sometimes but you can't get em all.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 10:20 PM

Like most things in moderation they are good for the pond. They eat vegetation...if there are too many in a pond and they destroy the vegetation the fry hide in then yes they could lead to the death of your small fish but not because they eat them but because they leave no where for them to hide and they're eaten by other predators in the pond.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 10:42 PM

We were hunting turtles on a tank in Oklahoma many years ago. Sometimes shooting a bit flat and the bullets would zing, but no worries, we were in the middle of nothing. All was fun until we walked back toward the truck - windshield and drivers side window were shattered. Hard to explain to the insurance company.

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dalroo
We were hunting turtles on a tank in Oklahoma many years ago. Sometimes shooting a bit flat and the bullets would zing, but no worries, we were in the middle of nothing. All was fun until we walked back toward the truck - windshield and drivers side window were shattered. Hard to explain to the insurance company.

This is why I have a turtle shooting tower blind on the dam of my tank. You get a lot more shooting down on them too.
Posted By: decook

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/10/20 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Well, that is a good point about fish speed versus turtle speed. But, my wife says that turtles eat small fish (google says so).

Anyway, I like that she was slinging lead with her little peashooter and smiling.

Ya-know? That's all that counts king
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/11/20 01:37 AM

Aquatic prairie dogs
Posted By: texfork

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/11/20 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
Sitting on a tailgate poppin turtles is right of passage. Good times right there.
Posted By: Ftttu

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/11/20 07:27 AM

My earliest memory shooting was at turtles with a .22 rifle under a bridge with my uncle. (That stream not too long after that became Lake Conroe.) For years as a kid, I’d shoot turtles and rats in a bayou near my house with my first generation Crosman Powermaster 760. I grew out of that eventually so I don’t have the desire anymore...but squirrels and house sparrows eating at my bird feeders is a different thing. My 1200 FPS Gamo takes care of them.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/12/20 06:49 PM

Also used a .22 mag one time. It has a lot more punch on the turtle.
Posted By: MikeU

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/14/20 02:29 AM

fish killers
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line

Try with a .17HMR

Yep, my brother and I spent a morning thinning out the turtles on a pond last summer. In a few days they come floating up and you have an idea of the actual count.

.17HMR is perfect for turtles. His 6.5 Creedmoor was a bit much.

Attached picture Turtles3.jpg

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 02:29 AM

I still haven’t seen any more turtles in the pond. Maybe the wife and her tiny Browning lever gun got them all.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 02:34 AM

I still haven’t seen any more turtles in the pond. Maybe the wife and her tiny Browning lever gun got them all.

I bet just the mention of her name....has them scambling to the bottom right now.

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

I bet just the mention of her name....has them scambling to the bottom right now.

I bet a case of toilet paper that more show up and she gets a lot more target practice.... rifle
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 06:08 PM

Sounds like a good time. Personally on my tanks I have not been able to kill them all and I have tried. They seem to be very prolific in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately the real tank cleaners are cormorants and they are for some reason protected.

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisG
Unfortunately the real tank cleaners are cormorants and they are for some reason protected.

SSS... peep
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 06:21 PM

I'm sure they're opportunistic, but they're not a detriment to your fish population. They are fun to shoot though.

According to a good friend’s biologist(real biologist)who had his fresh water shrimp annihilated, they are bears of the pond,

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

According to a good friend’s biologist(real biologist)who had his fresh water shrimp annihilated, they are bears of the pond,

What about my real biology degree? Lol

I don't know much about turtles, but it's a myth about them being pond cleaners. You're worst threat to a pond is otters. And most people will never know they had otters, so they blame it on what they can see.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch

Yessir it is!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 08:23 PM

^ That dog dead or passed out? lol

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 10:46 PM

A spotter, a shooter, and a napping dog. That’s about as good as it gets.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/19/20 11:53 PM

I can tell you for a fact, a good sized red ear slider will eat live fish. I have caught them on live sunfish on rod and reel. They can literally eat anything from apples to crickets to fish.

I have caught softshells on roostertails. And they can swin as fast as you can reel them away from them.

So it's not just the snappers. Red ear sliders are the worst ones. They are like feral hogs of the water. Fecund omnivores.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Do turtles count? - 03/27/20 12:50 PM

I've seen sliders eat fish that were on a stringer hanging on the dock, seen sliders eat young bull frogs, caught sliders fishing for crappie with minnows. I've even seen them eat cows! Slider will eat anything they can get in their mouth. It's about time to break out the 17 WSM and go on a Slider Slaughter.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum