Texas Hunting Forum

Thermal Scopes

Posted By: txhunter2559

Thermal Scopes - 03/06/20 06:47 PM

Has anyone ever used a Pulsar Thermal scope , or is there a better one you would recommend
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Thermal Scopes - 03/06/20 07:19 PM

Lots of us have used them. Better? Sure. Trijicon and N-Vision. Value for the money for your typical hunter and typical hunting distances, Pulsar is the way to go.

So the questions are, what are you hunting? How far will you typically be shooting? What is the max range you will be shooting? What sort of environment do you hunt?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Thermal Scopes - 03/07/20 03:22 AM

Nothing but goodness for me.

Charlie
Posted By: JJH

Re: Thermal Scopes - 03/07/20 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Lots of us have used them. Better? Sure. Trijicon and N-Vision. Value for the money for your typical hunter and typical hunting distances, Pulsar is the way to go.

So the questions are, what are you hunting? How far will you typically be shooting? What is the max range you will be shooting? What sort of environment do you hunt?

Hogs at night, in my case .South Texas brush. 100yards or less. Would be interested in your thoughts
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Thermal Scopes - 03/07/20 01:16 PM

If you don't need recording and want to spend less than 2K the Pulsar rxq30v works well at that distance and a little farther. If you want to spend more, you'll get more.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Thermal Scopes - 03/07/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pootie
If you don't need recording and want to spend less than 2K the Pulsar rxq30v works well at that distance and a little farther. If you want to spend more, you'll get more.

I’m in between thermals right now, my Pulsar Apex couldn’t be repaired so I ordered the Pulsar Trail 2 LRF. For the down time a good friend let me borrow is Pulsar Core and I’ve been very happy with it considering the price mount of well under $2,000
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Thermal Scopes - 03/07/20 03:56 PM

100 yards or less, you could go with a Pulsar RQX30V. I am not a great fan of this scope. It is what I call a 'barnyard' scope because it is best suited for hunting around the barnyard. When I was with Third Coast Thermal, one of the happiest guys I spoke with was one I turned on to an RQX30V that literally needed something for problem pests (coons, coyotes, opossums) around his barnyard. He could not have been happier because it did exactly what he needed. Most everyone else I know that bought one soon traded up for something better because the really wanted more capability and tried going cheap.

The pros for this unit are the price, size, and weight. The cons for this unit are that nothing will ever look quite in focus. Identification of targets will be more difficult.

If you have the money, I would consider a Thermion, XM38 if you don't have much money or XP50 if you have more.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Thermal Scopes - 03/09/20 06:04 PM

Love my Pulsar trail xp50.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Thermal Scopes - 03/09/20 06:39 PM

If you're just using it for hogs and varmints go with Pulsar. If you need to see every detail about a human at real long range then go with a Trijicon.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum