Texas Hunting Forum

HUNTING IN SCOTLAND

Posted By: jdickey

HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/23/20 01:43 PM

I have booked a Red Stag hunt for next fall in Scotland and will be hunting with Chris Dalton who was just named STALKER OF THE YEAR. (stalker = guide)

Question is, should I try to bring my rifle, or use one of his rifles ( Saga 6.5x55 w Swarovski scope)? I've had too much trouble with airlines and their baggage handling the past few years, so I am very reluctant to try to bring one into the U.K.

RECOMMENDATIONS!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/23/20 01:50 PM

No brainer- use his rifle. I stalked two stags just south of Balmoral a few years ago. Great experience. Have fun!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/23/20 02:49 PM

I prefer to bring my own rifles but you factor in where you are going. Going to Africa, I was told by the travel agent if I’d planned to have my rifles on the plane with me when I landed in Johannesburg then I should avoid Europe at all costs.

In Scotland, with the stalker of the year, you will probably end up with a better than average rifle. Maybe by then he will have a nice Rigby rifle waiting there for you.

I was told by everyone ( outfitter, travel agent, clients ) that bringing my rifles into Argentina is a major beating. So I’m leaving mine at home and using my bow/their rifles if needed for my hunt next year
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/23/20 05:36 PM

Use his. 6.5x55 is one of the great calibers that Americans either forget or ignore. I got a 6.5x55 years ago on the advice of a PH I have great respect for and I fell in love with that cartridge. However be warned, once you get acquainted with the Swede, you'll want to own one.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/23/20 07:31 PM

You looking for bigfoots over there, or Nessie?

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/23/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
You looking for bigfoots over there, or Nessie?

Either would be a formidable match for the 6.5 Swede
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/23/20 09:23 PM

Just be sure to find a wee dram after your stag is down. cheers

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/24/20 01:10 AM

Be too far south for Nessie.... but will keep a keen eye out for ole Biggie for sure!!! We'll be near a couple of WMA forest areas.

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/24/20 01:18 AM

Will be hunting off this estate northwest of Edinburgh!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dkershen

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 02/25/20 04:24 AM

Dream trip! Use his rifle. Just not worth the hassle and cost to bring yours.
Posted By: Exiled

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 03/11/20 04:38 PM

Please do a writeup/update when you get back, this is one of my bucket list hunts! That place looks amazing, by the way, good luck!!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 03/12/20 03:21 AM

Gorgeous country. I’d love to see a follow up on it, especially if you find a Bigfoot or two!

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 03/15/20 05:10 PM

I will be stalking for red deer stag, and with the PROFESSIONAL STALKER OF THE YEAR - Chris Dalton.

https://www.guntradenews.com/news/the-great-british-shooting-awards-all-the-winners/

We will be hunting during the late rut in early October of next year. The total cost of this adventure, including airfare and car rental, is about the same as what most outfitters charge for a Trophy whitetail hunt here in the U.S!

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 03/15/20 05:52 PM

Lots of good deals out of country dollar wise.

Do you mind posting up outfitter information?

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 03/16/20 09:56 PM

I had a really tough time deciding on an outfitter/estate. There are so many very nice estate in every sector of Scotland. I would recommend that you decide on what area you would like to hunt, then go from there. And of course, how deep does your pocket go. Most of the better estates are already booked for 2020, so plan on a next year booking.

One that I looked at very strong was Glendessary Estate:

https://www.glen-dessary.com/?fbclid=IwAR1huh93tlznuH0pTWFRr6V0l7qxhNpxL3mq9u69JLUIAzmO01_aM88rIBs

It is a very nice estate, somewhat isolated in the Highlands and not far from Inverness.

But I ended up with South Ayrshire because of Chris Dalton. You can check out the estate and Chris at this link:

http://www.ayrstalk.co.uk/

Good luck!

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 03/16/20 11:49 PM

Nice estates! The first one in particular.

Hunting Argentina for Stag fit my timeline better as the seasons are reversed and don’t interfere with my North American fall hunts but Scotland looks like a dang nice hunt you should very much enjoy.
Posted By: MikeU

Re: HUNTING IN SCOTLAND - 03/17/20 05:01 PM

Wow very nice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum