Texas Hunting Forum

Nigali or bison

Posted By: Jbell99

Nigali or bison - 02/11/20 02:32 PM

I’m planing to do one big hunt this year I’m not after a trophy and planning to hunt one of the two. Both would be females mostly interested in meat but will tan the hide.
Which one is better table fare? I’ve had buffalo burger before and thought it was good but I keep hearing nigali is the best. Which would y’all choose?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/11/20 03:01 PM

They are both great, but I would choose nilgai.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/11/20 03:03 PM

I think both would be cool, good luck with whatever you go with!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/11/20 03:05 PM

I prefer buffalo myself. Nilgai is great as well but a Buffalo will yield more meat.

another big animal to take a look at is a Scimitar Oryx......not quite as big as a nilgai, excellent meat and there is a trophy quality to them.

Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/11/20 05:01 PM

Buffalo will yield more meat, but the Nilgai will deliver plenty and a lot more fun hunt.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/12/20 12:41 AM

I would choose the Bison, I did not care for the Nilgai as much as far as taste and texture. Someone mentioned the Scimitar, it is very good as is its relative the Gemsbok.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/12/20 12:44 AM

Bison/buffalo
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/12/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Bison/buffalo

X2

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/12/20 12:52 AM

Utah and Wyoming is what I’d try before I just went and bought on. Technically you would save a little money
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/12/20 10:37 PM

I'd have to go with the Bison.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/13/20 12:42 AM

I personally don't care for Bison and a buffler hunt usually is not much more exciting than killing a holstein as it just stands there. I am sure there are some challenging Buffalo hunts somewhere but I don't know of any.

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/13/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I personally don't care for Bison and a buffler hunt usually is not much more exciting than killing a holstein as it just stands there. I am sure there are some challenging Buffalo hunts somewhere but I don't know of any.

Alaska, AZ and Canada.

Most tags in AZ are a very long season for a reason.

You should try both the Alaska’s and AZ hunts

But first buy this book

Buy me.... Buffalo hunting book
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/13/20 02:47 AM

Another vote for a scimitar. Get a cow or broken horned bull hunt for a lot less.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/13/20 03:02 AM

Bison for sure.
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/13/20 03:16 AM

Thank you guys, I can do the nigali for about half the price and it would me a tougher hunt. I’m starting to lean towards the nigali. Symatar oryx is on my list for a one day hunt for sure but would mount that if I do.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/13/20 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jbell99
Thank you guys, I can do the nigali for about half the price and it would me a tougher hunt. I’m starting to lean towards the nigali. Symatar oryx is on my list for a one day hunt for sure but would mount that if I do.

I didn't mention the Oryx because that wasn't in your question, but yes IMO the Scimitar Oryx is the best game meat I've ever eaten. I even like it better than Elk and Axis, so that's saying something.

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/13/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jbell99

Hunting is as hard as you make it.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/13/20 09:47 PM

Never had Oryx so cant comment on that. However Nilgai is wonderful!
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Nigali or bison - 02/14/20 10:26 PM

Buf
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum