Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder Pen GATE

Posted By: WillowCity2506

Feeder Pen GATE - 02/02/20 03:01 PM

Setting up a new feed pen in a couple weeks. Looking for some input and ideas from you guys for a gate. Would like to drive the truck up to feeder to fill. What are you guys using as a gate on feed pens?
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/02/20 03:12 PM

Depends on what it's constructed with. If it's just goat fencing then a gap gate. If its hog panel just wire up an 8' section so you can get your truck in .
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/02/20 03:16 PM

I have always used one of the 34"x16' hog panels as the gate. I just overlap more on each end so I do not have to put a Tpost in the middle.
I do only round pens...so the arc of the gate panel makes it more rigid and never needed a tpost in the middle. I used tie wire doubled to make the hinges.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/02/20 03:30 PM

I cut one panel in half and make sure to leave the 3 or 4 of the horizontal wires as long as possible/full length.
Bend those 3 or 4 wires around a T post to make rough hinges, then to secure the gate closed use wire in 3 places against another T post opposite of the hinge post, top, middle, bottom.
Makes roughly an 8' gate, of course you can make the gate any width, I chose 8' because I drive T posts 8' on centers anyway.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/02/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I have always used one of the 34"x16' hog panels as the gate. I just overlap more on each end so I do not have to put a Tpost in the middle.

This. Or cut a 16 foot panel in half so you can unwire an 8 foot section and back in.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/02/20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
I cut one panel in half and make sure to leave the 3 or 4 of the horizontal wires as long as possible/full length.
Bend those 3 or 4 wires around a T post to make rough hinges, then to secure the gate closed use wire in 3 places against another T post opposite of the hinge post, top, middle, bottom.

Makes roughly an 8' gate, of course you can make the gate any width, I chose 8' because I drive T posts 8' on centers anyway.

up
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/02/20 10:14 PM

I do only round pens...so the arc of the gate panel makes it more rigid and never needed a tpost in the middle. I used tie wire doubled to make the hinges.

This here, because it works.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/03/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

This here, because it works.

yep, I usually put a t-post in the middle of the arc but don't wire to it, just use it like a door stop to prevent cattle/horses from pushing/leaning in on it.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/03/20 02:44 PM

8 foot gate way too small. I don't want to pay that much attention.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/03/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
8 foot gate way too small. I don't want to pay that much attention.

yep, I usually split slightly large on one side ...
Posted By: buck wild

Re: Feeder Pen GATE - 02/07/20 08:59 PM

We used to build a 1.5" square tubing frame to tack weld the 16" hog panel to for support. Now days, we just use the panel without a frame but every couple years we have to replace the panel as the cows bend it up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum