Texas Hunting Forum

What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area?

Posted By: Thisisbeer

What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/27/20 10:15 PM

In-laws have a family ranch in that area. They don't hunt, but said they know there are some exotics out there. I assume some axis and maybe some aoudad. Anything else in that area worth hunting? How is the deer population?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/27/20 10:17 PM

lots of sika in concan.

also lots of axis and occasionally a blackbuck or fallow.

further north towards leakey you will have axis, sika, aoudad and some elk
Posted By: Stub

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/27/20 10:31 PM

Downtown Leakey I saw a herd of Axis.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/27/20 10:40 PM

Also Red Deer, a variety of wild/feral sheep or goats, and whatever else is stocked on HF ranches that have escaped after storms and lot of rain to wash out fences.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/27/20 11:14 PM

Sounds like it will be far more interesting to hunt than east texas. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/27/20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Sounds like it will be far more interesting to hunt than east texas. Thanks guys.

Can be some great hunting......some of the most beautiful Texas landscape you will walk on.......make sure you visit the Nueces River..........cheers

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/27/20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Can be some great hunting......some of the most beautiful Texas landscape you will walk on.......make sure you visit the Nueces River..........cheers

its the Frio that runs thru concan
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 12:27 AM

I've never hunted there but floated the river several times. Our friends place has tons of nice axis. We even saw a black bear one year.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 03:33 AM

There iare some free ranging elk, too.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 03:36 AM

That area is a paradise.
Posted By: 6.5 shooter

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 11:28 AM

Lots of axis.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 11:49 AM

Pretty good area for exotics.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
That area is a paradise.

up

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I know where the Frio runs.....he posted Concan and Leakey......the Nueces runs through Leakey and blows away that little inch deep Frio...... I know more about that country than you think you do so correct another poster short boy.......
Posted By: Mr Squatch

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 04:14 PM

I know where the Frio runs.....he posted Concan and Leakey......the Nueces runs through Leakey and blows away that little inch deep Frio...... I know more about that country than you think you do so correct another poster short boy.......

I normally wouldn't even chime in on this... But it sounded pretty insulting, so here I am. The Frio is what runs through Leakey, Concan, etc.... The Nueces runs through Camp Wood. You would know that if you know so much about that country.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 04:18 PM

rofl
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 04:19 PM

Where does the Nueces run through Leakey? We go every 4th of July to Leakey and stay on the frio. We have driven over to Campwood to see the Nueces but that was a good 30 minute drive west.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 04:27 PM

I concur, Nueces runs down the western side of Real county, through Camp Wood and southward and Frio is on the eastern side of Real county through Leakey and Concan...Right county just different towns flowed through...

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 04:41 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 04:45 PM

Water in the Frio looks pretty deep to me and looky here, the maps shows it is in Leakey scratch and look to the west, is that the Nueces river in Camp Wood grin

[Linked Image]

Pictures of the Frio River......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PMK

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
[Linked Image]

roflmao
Posted By: don k

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 07:09 PM

Talk about stepping right in the middle of the Do Do.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:08 PM

You are 100% wrong.....obviously you and others don't know what your talking about......I have $100 ready to bet any of you big mouths that can pay up......The Frio runs on the east side of Leakey and the Nueces on the west, both within walking distance from the center of town.........I didn't step in the middle of sh!t I can assure you Don K.......

I have no dog in this fight but I have to ask...............are you drunk?

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by HoldPoint

You are 100% wrong.....obviously you and others don't know what your talking about......I have $100 ready to bet any of you big mouths that can pay up......The Frio runs on the east side of Leakey and the Nueces on the west, both within walking distance from the center of town.........I didn't step in the middle of sh!t I can assure you Don K.......

I have no dog in this fight but I have to ask...............are you drunk?

No, lol but I owe TexasTrophy85 an apology..........I WAS WRONG!.............got Camp Wood confused with Leakey with it being so close, but it's not Leakey and not walking distance.......throw the eggs I like mine over medium!

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:21 PM

Nueces River map on the left and Frio River map on the right.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:22 PM

To the OP, check out Camp Wood and the Nuecess river, not far from Leakey and worth the visit.........
Posted By: don k

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:22 PM

In other words you stepped in it.

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by don k
In other words you stepped in it.

that's correct don k........I will own it......

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:26 PM

All the maps show them running through separate directions in Real county and both dumping into Choke Canyon Reservoir in Live Oak county with only the Nueces flowing southward to the Gulf of Mexico from there.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:30 PM

I miss the days of getting out of hand on the Frio. Thank God they didn't have camera phones back then. bolt

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
All the maps show them running through separate directions in Real county and both dumping into Choke Canyon Reservoir in Live Oak county with only the Nueces flowing southward to the Gulf of Mexico from there.

I guess all that beer Erath Kid forces down me had me thinking was next to Leakey but it was Camp Wood......it is deep aqua blue clear water there, worth visiting if you have not....

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:49 PM

I guess all that beer Erath Kid forces down me had me thinking was next to Leakey but it was Camp Wood......it is deep aqua blue clear water there, worth visiting if you have not....

Maybe been drinking too much of that salty Brazos on the Pitchfork. LOL

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 08:52 PM

You might want to look at a map a little closer...Three Rivers is named for the 3 rivers that converge there...Nueces, Frio and Atascosa...only one of them flows into Choke Canyon. Frio leaves Choke and dumps into the Atascosa then it flows into the Nueces which then flows in the Lake Corpus Christi at Mathis.
[Linked Image]

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

You might want to look at a map a little closer...Three Rivers is named for the 3 rivers that converge there...Nueces, Frio and Atascosa...only one of them flows into Choke Canyon. Frio leaves Choke and dumps into the Atascosa then it flows into the Nueces which then flows in the Lake Corpus Christi at Mathis.
[Linked Image]

OK Ranch, I wasn't looking at it that carefully but thanks for the clarification.

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 09:49 PM

Well.....just never mind. I can't.

God bless you sir

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 10:33 PM

I was having a bad morning and was too quick to reply and wrong.......I apologize for the insult was unnecessary...

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 10:58 PM

I was having a bad morning and was too quick to reply and wrong.......I apologize for the insult was unnecessary...

clap

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/28/20 11:45 PM

[Linked Image]

Water under the bridge.....pardon the pun

For the record the camp wood/Nueces river area is very much worth checking out
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/29/20 12:02 AM

As my mother was fond of saying, "I was wrong once before."

'Tis a rare thing, especially these days, for a man to admit he was wrong. No harm no foul IMO Marc. But addressing another man's height, on something so trivial, gave me pause too. grin
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/29/20 12:26 AM

To the OP, check out Camp Wood and the Nuecess river, not far from Leakey and worth the visit.........

Not to mention ranch road 337. One of the most scenic drives in Texas.

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/29/20 05:02 PM

FWIW, we own land in Camp Wood and Leakey. As to the original question about animals, you name it they've got it. I've seen Axis, Aoudad, Addax, Blackbuck, Springbok, Mouflon, Red stag, Whitetail and lots of hogs. Never know what is going to walk out. I've heard reports that the WT population is on the decline. Plenty of other targets to hunt. Good luck.

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/30/20 12:07 AM

Forgot to add Zebra and Watusi, free range. They hung out at my camp and wanted food handouts. Obviously not scared of humans. Never know what you'll see in those hills.

Re: What kind of exotics are around Concan/Leakey area? - 01/30/20 03:03 AM

Speaking of Watusi, at the count of three let's all dance, 1-2-3 dance. "Do the Watusi" banana2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum