Texas Hunting Forum

High rack thoughts....

Posted By: The Duke

High rack thoughts.... - 01/22/20 05:56 AM

I am building a new high rack for us to hunt out of. Over the years I have done a few different designs and ideas.

This time around wanting to be VERY efficient and lightweight made out of aluminum.

My question is the orientation of the 2 seats in the rack. Which do you prefer? side to side? or front to back?

I think this time around I am going to go with side by side.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: High rack thoughts.... - 01/22/20 07:06 AM

Front and back but offset, with the shooter in the back and always shooting to the back or back side quadrant.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: High rack thoughts.... - 01/22/20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Front and back but offset, with the shooter in the back and always shooting to the back or back side quadrant.

This on Swivel seats so both can turn 360 degrees and whichever direction you are hunting/shooting the person in the front is the shooter and the person behind runs the light/call/etc.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: High rack thoughts.... - 01/22/20 12:36 PM

Just put a few extra receivers for the seats and make it a flexible seating platform. You may find one configuration works better than another in certain situations.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: High rack thoughts.... - 01/22/20 01:07 PM

I like high rack, side-side, no offset. I never want a gun being shot behind me or offset to me. Side to side requires some thought and effort by shooter to get in position if another, spotter is up there. It's ok to think things out a bit before shooting...We used high racks extensively in hunting larger ranches in South Texas, we called it "safaring" and it was fun, tons of memories with Dad driving the jeep and my brothers and I up top with the rifles...
Posted By: The Duke

Re: High rack thoughts.... - 01/22/20 03:58 PM

This is what I am thinking but I love hearing everybody's thoughts.

If you think the coyote is going to come out of a certain area just park the truck at an angle that supports that spot.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: High rack thoughts.... - 01/22/20 04:13 PM

Side by side would be far safer than someone siting behind another person with a gun.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: High rack thoughts.... - 01/22/20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Just put a few extra receivers for the seats and make it a flexible seating platform. You may find one configuration works better than another in certain situations.

I prefer the flexibility to move the seats around.

Also, cup holders and secure gun holders are a must. Most of my lease has fairly smooth roads but there are a couple spots where I've been knocked out of the seat and nearly lost a rifle (unloaded) because the truck hit a hidden hole in a puddle.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: High rack thoughts.... - 01/24/20 02:28 AM

9/10 times you pull in or back in.... seats SxS
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum