Texas Hunting Forum

Protein

Posted By: mow

Protein - 01/14/20 09:04 PM

Looking for best price for 50# bags of proteins..going to try it ...maybe cottonseed..but I have no way to haul bulk..found cottonseed through some thfers 250 a ton..but have no way to haul..so looking for a feed store with a good price on pellets..I'm located granbury..I can go west to abeline..but I could take detours on way to lease..Sweetwater,Bronte,and areas west of Granbury and east of Bronte..thanks!
Posted By: RGLass

Re: Protein - 01/14/20 10:45 PM

Black-eyed peas have 21.5 - 24% protein. Once accustomed to them, deer will walk past corn to get them.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Protein - 01/14/20 10:48 PM

I don't look for best price, I look for convenience of location, and the quality of the store help. Considering Bronte, I would call Rowena Pellet Mill. 325-442-4019 They used to have 50 pound sacks of cotton seed pellets.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Protein - 01/14/20 11:01 PM

I used Alderman Cave in Winters when I hunted near Snyder. They made their own protein that was about $2 per bag cheaper than the name brands and the deer liked it. I may have heard that they closed? Someone from out that way can probably confirm, or you can look them up and try calling.

Re: Protein - 01/14/20 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
I used Alderman Cave in Winters when I hunted near Snyder. They made their own protein that was about $2 per bag cheaper than the name brands and the deer liked it. I may have heard that they closed? Someone from out that way can probably confirm, or you can look them up and try calling.

I have not heard anything about A/C closing.

Another place we would stop at is Jackson Brothers on ES 11th and on South Treadaway in Abilene
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 03:05 AM

Gorman Milling has a sack warehouse at their plant in Gorman. They also have a store in Stephenville. I buy bulk from them. They have a couple of different options for protein pellets. The Chain Reaction has vitamins and minerals added. They also have an option that is lower in price. It is made for low fence without the vitamins and minerals.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Ag
Gorman Milling has a sack warehouse at their plant in Gorman. They also have a store in Stephenville. I buy bulk from them. They have a couple of different options for protein pellets. The Chain Reaction has vitamins and minerals added. They also have an option that is lower in price. It is made for low fence without the vitamins and minerals.

confused2 why low fence ?
flag
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 04:02 PM

Do peas throw ok in a deer feeder? Do they rot in a deer feeder?

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 04:31 PM

Peas flow great through feeders. No swelling in wet weather. Never had rot.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by RGLass
Black-eyed peas have 21.5 - 24% protein. Once accustomed to them, deer will walk past corn to get them.

where do you buy 50# bags of black-eyed peas? and roughly price?

one year the feed store where I normally buy my food plot seeds was out of peas, they told me to go buy a few bags from the local grocery store to plant. They worked great, but was kinda pricey buying 1-2 lb bags for planting. I bet the deer would go nuts over those coming out of a spin feeder.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mow
Looking for best price for 50# bags of proteins..going to try it ...maybe cottonseed..but I have no way to haul bulk..found cottonseed through some thfers 250 a ton..but have no way to haul..so looking for a feed store with a good price on pellets..I'm located granbury..I can go west to abeline..but I could take detours on way to lease..Sweetwater,Bronte,and areas west of Granbury and east of Bronte..thanks!

One of my buddies uses cotton seed, they haul it in 55 gallon drums in the bed of a pickup and scoop it with buckets.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 06:26 PM

The Stephenville store is Red Chain Feeds. The lower price option is the Buck Creek Pellets which is what I am feeding with. I use the Chain Reaction if the Buck Creek Pellets are not available. Here is a link.

http://www.redchainfeeds.com/deer.html

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 06:46 PM

I bought them at Kramer’s in Fredericksburg or Behrends feed in Luckenbach and Harper.

Re: Protein - 01/15/20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by colt.45

confused2 why low fence ?
flag

Their antlers grow so big that they cannot jump fences. up

clap
Posted By: spanish13

Re: Protein - 01/16/20 03:14 AM

That’s where you get the peas? Price?
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Protein - 01/16/20 04:11 PM

https://alternativewildlifenutrition.com/where-to-buy/

ARROW FEED & RANCH SUPPLY
2031 E HIGHWAY 377
GRANBURY, Texas 76049
Phone: 817-573-8808
2.7 mi
Directions
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Protein - 01/16/20 04:21 PM

I used Alderman out of Winters to buy bulk quite often. Until they sent me 14 tons of 18% that was mostly fines and screwed me by sending an open truck. not even a tarp to come pick it up. I got re paid for only about 8 tons after the truck returned to Winters. Have no idea if they are still in business.

Re: Protein - 01/16/20 04:35 PM

Kramer’s Wood&Metal Works 830-997-9547
Posted By: mow

Re: Protein - 01/22/20 12:04 AM

14$ a 50# bag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum