Texas Hunting Forum

Praying after a successful hunt

Posted By: unclebubba

Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 03:12 PM

How many of you say a prayer over the animal after a successful hunt. I have done this every time we take a deer or pig that we will be eating. Thanking God for the time that we get to spend together and for the food that he has given us. A funny thing happened last weekend. My boy and I doubled up on a pair of coyotes, and when we got set up for pictures, he says, "Dad, we've got to say a prayer." It struck me funny. I've never prayed over a coyote. But it brought to mind a scripture. I don't recall the exact scripture, but it said that you should pray continuously, pray all the time. Made me even more proud of my boy. If you teach the kids right, eventually, you will be learning from your kids!
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 03:39 PM

A prayer for success with a promise to share with my family and anyone else who may need a little meat followed by a prayer of gratitude at the end of the day regardless of the outcome. Especially grateful when we have meat for the freezer for sure! Good for you for teaching your family, that is the way it should be!

A morning like this will also have me offering prayers of gratitude...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 04:03 PM

I do over most of the animals I shoot.

Quick thanks to the lord for allowing me to experience the things I get to experience in the outdoors and the animals he has put in front of me.

The longer I live and the more animals I shoot I’m 100% convinced that it’s all Gods doing on which animals I kill or don’t kill . Sure, I put in my work to be successful, practice, prepare accordingly etc. but after chasing animal after animal and failed attempt after failed attempt then be offered a slam dunk layup type of opportunity it only points to one thing
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 04:07 PM

I give thanks every morning then pray for protection for my kids, family and friends. Might throw a little extra in there if I'm hunting.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 04:07 PM

Sure do, but also spend a lot of time talking to Him during the sit whether it's successful or not. Being a M-F working man, I spend a lot of my weekends in the stand during hunting season.

Had an old man tell me a while back something that stuck with me, "It's better to be sitting in a stand thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about hunting." Not to be confused with not going to church at all, but that's a whole different story.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 04:08 PM

Thanks for all I have including health and the opportunity to enjoy the country and hunt.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 04:28 PM

Ain't a darn thing wrong with that.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 04:48 PM

I pray over (just about) every animal harvested. I thank Him for the gift of that animals life, for the provision to have a place to hunt, for his gorgeous creation, and sometimes other stuff too. For my part, I agree 100% with txtrophy85. My "luck" comes from 1 place.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I do over most of the animals I shoot.

Quick thanks to the lord for allowing me to experience the things I get to experience in the outdoors and the animals he has put in front of me.

The longer I live and the more animals I shoot I’m 100% convinced that it’s all Gods doing on which animals I kill or don’t kill . Sure, I put in my work to be successful, practice, prepare accordingly etc. but after chasing animal after animal and failed attempt after failed attempt then be offered a slam dunk layup type of opportunity it only points to one thing

Amen brother.

James 1:17 (NIV)

17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ZK-315
Sure do, but also spend a lot of time talking to Him during the sit whether it's successful or not. Being a M-F working man, I spend a lot of my weekends in the stand during hunting season.

Had an old man tell me a while back something that stuck with me, "It's better to be sitting in a stand thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about hunting." Not to be confused with not going to church at all, but that's a whole different story.

X2
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 05:28 PM

Amen to all of the above.... cheers
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 05:34 PM

I do.
Posted By: OldGoat68TN

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/07/20 06:59 PM

I do. And probably don't say thanks enough.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/08/20 02:18 AM

Thank you for the reminder.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/08/20 01:09 PM

Last Sunday morning I was dressed and ready to leave for church in Menard. I looked out the back window and saw AXIS!!! I grabbed old faithful, out the front door. Leaned on a fence post. Bang. Critter fell, I gave thanks and praise. Then I realized I've got about 1 hour before church starts and a 30 minute drive to get there. Buck was skinned gutted and placed in the freezer whole. I made it to church on time!!
The gift of an animal should not be taken lightly!!

Papalote
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/08/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Papalote
Last Sunday morning I was dressed and ready to leave for church in Menard. I looked out the back window and saw AXIS!!! I grabbed old faithful, out the front door. Leaned on a fence post. Bang. Critter fell, I gave thanks and praise. Then I realized I've got about 1 hour before church starts and a 30 minute drive to get there. Buck was skinned gutted and placed in the freezer whole. I made it to church on time!!

Papalote

Whackin' and stackin'! Very well done!

We're going to visit the little Lutheran church there in Menard. It is tiny. Not many Germans made it that far west I guess.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/09/20 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Papalote

Papalote

Whackin' and stackin'! Very well done!

We're going to visit the little Lutheran church there in Menard. It is tiny. Not many Germans made it that far west I guess.

You'll like it. Folks are nice. Hope to see you there some Sunday!!

Papalote
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/09/20 04:39 AM

It is so nice and peacefull sitting out in his beautiful country who could not say a little thanks to that and for all he has done. Amen
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/09/20 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by llbts1

Thank you for the reminder.

up
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/10/20 01:11 PM

Always thank our Lord after a successful hunt. I am convinced it is something greater than myself each time I am successful.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/11/20 07:02 PM

I do and I've thanked God for every second that I've spent in a stand with one of my sons or grandsons. To me it's the little things that mean the most.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/12/20 04:27 AM

I’ve thanked God many times for the opportunities he has provided me with but don’t pray over animals. I’m grateful for the meat they provide but I don’t pray over them.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/12/20 11:34 AM

My wife and I have prayed together every morning and every night and often during the day since the first day we met, We pray before hunts, while fishing etc....always giving thanks for all He has done for us even long before we were ever born.
This year we had an opportunity to go to a friends ranch where she was allowed to shoot a buck, she had never shot one before and was very nervous. In the stand she asked if we could pray for calm and for it to be over quickly, she was getting really anxious for some reason. So we prayed and a few minutes later a buck comes out of nowhere and walks 60 yds in front of the blind and starts eating. We manage to open the window, get the gun up, get her setup and he just ignores us completely.
She makes a great shot, he drops and it is over just like that. She was so excited, she had me feel her heart and I could feel it beating. Haha. We gave God quite a few thank you's for a great harvest and a quick timely buck appearance.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/12/20 12:53 PM

always, whether or not i'm successful, its a good day in the woods or on the water
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/13/20 05:30 AM

Always give thanks for the blessings he has bestowed on me and my family. Praise the Lord
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Praying after a successful hunt - 01/13/20 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ZK-315

True words.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum