Texas Hunting Forum

Heading and Heeling hogs.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/01/20 02:00 PM

One of my west Texas friends having a little fun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/01/20 02:14 PM

If that hog was alive when they roped it that was some good luck work. Now time to get rid of it.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/01/20 02:16 PM

That's awesome....now play tug-a-war until it stops moving....
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/01/20 02:18 PM

clap
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/01/20 02:53 PM

Fake news
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/01/20 03:43 PM

I like it!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/01/20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckw
Fake news

It can be done. Also hogs tire pretty quickly when run for much of a distance. The 'Heeling' part wouldn't be too difficult, but the guy 'Heading' would need to pretty much have the hog running straight away (like calf/steer roping) or your loop will just slide off the hogs head before it can cinch down behind the ears and jaw.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/01/20 04:15 PM

That looks like fun....
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/02/20 11:55 AM

That’s great!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/02/20 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
That looks like fun....

That it does up
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/02/20 02:37 PM

that is some impressive work. pretty cool
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/02/20 02:50 PM

My buddy Phil Lyne roped thousands of them down around Cotulla.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/02/20 03:29 PM

From gymnastics to long range shooting, roping and whatever else in between people have some crazy skills. That's awesome.

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/02/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
Adios,
Gary

And the Cotulla/Encinal area is generally pretty rough country unless heavily improved.

It would take a dedicated rider on a GOOD horse to rope hogs off some of the ranches I've been on down there. I know as soon as you'd reach a Pear Flat...I'd be calling it quits.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/02/20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Adios,
Gary

And the Cotulla/Encinal area is generally pretty rough country unless heavily improved.

It would take a dedicated rider on a GOOD horse to rope hogs off some of the ranches I've been on down there. I know as soon as you'd reach a Pear Flat...I'd be calling it quits.

Couple years ago I missed the last step coming down a tripod and fell back first into a cactus. After my brother quit laughing and I quit swearing he spent a good bit pulling thorns out of me

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/02/20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Adios,
Gary

Couple years ago I missed the last step coming down a tripod and fell back first into a cactus. After my brother quit laughing and I quit swearing he spent a good bit pulling thorns out of me

I hear ya. The big spines (though they hurt) are easy to see and pull out. It's all the fine 'hair like' one's you never seem to get all out. They fester up and irritate for a long time.
Posted By: moe cowbell

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/03/20 07:16 AM

Adios,
Gary

Phil could rope a hummingbird
flehan
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/03/20 07:29 AM

Fake news

Definitely not fake news LOL, I've seen it done.
Posted By: 6.5 shooter

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/03/20 11:45 AM

Looks like a good way to get tore up.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/03/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Fake news

I have a nephew that cowboys for a lot of ranches and he has roped one before.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/03/20 03:07 PM

Without a doubt, the greatest cowboy of all time...in a roping pen or in a thicket. I never saw him rope a hummingbird but as a youngster, would rope chickens.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Ratherbefishing

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/03/20 06:08 PM

I have always had a fascination with ropes. When young, I began roping chickens with para-chord. Learned pretty quick to rope them by the feet instead of the neck as I almost killed a few. Then, moved up to roping ducks, turkeys, sheep, goats, cattle, and horses. I have roped a few domestic pigs and found it easier to let them put one leg through the loop before tightening up.

If you can lead a person and throw a football to them, you should be able to rope an animal, also.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/03/20 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Espy
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Fake news

I have a nephew that cowboys for a lot of ranches and he has roped one before.

Was on a 3,000 acre ranch near Victoria years ago and watched a whole crew do just that. Truck w/horse trailer full of horses and a truck full of dogs pulled in. They geared up and headed out. Dogs would bay the pigs up (no catch dogs) and the horseman would ride in/rope em', hobble them, and truck would follow behind and load them up. They caught some big boars that way. One of the biggest boars I've ever seen in my life was roped and dragged to death on the O'Conner Ranch by horseman. They did a shoulder mount on that one - beast.

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/04/20 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing

If you can lead a person and throw a football to them, you should be able to rope an animal, also.

On foot...yeah, most folks can pick it up pretty quickly. Things change on horseback though, lots of dynamics.

Learning to build a loop correctly, rebuild (if you miss) and feed a rope takes some practice and you need to be a good horseman before you become a roper. And of course you need a decent horse that isn't going to scoot out from under you the first time something makes a run at him.

But, yes...anyone with decent hand/eye coordination...(and willing to practice) can learn to rope well enough to do stock work.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/04/20 05:22 AM

Fake news

It can be done. Also hogs tire pretty quickly when run for much of a distance. The 'Heeling' part wouldn't be too difficult, but the guy 'Heading' would need to pretty much have the hog running straight away (like calf/steer roping) or your loop will just slide off the hogs head before it can cinch down behind the ears and jaw.

I'll be damned.....though there is a drastic difference between an open field and brush country!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/04/20 08:26 AM

cheers

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/05/20 03:07 AM

On foot...yeah, most folks can pick it up pretty quickly. Things change on horseback though, lots of dynamics.

Learning to build a loop correctly, rebuild (if you miss) and feed a rope takes some practice and you need to be a good horseman before you become a roper. And of course you need a decent horse that isn't going to scoot out from under you the first time something makes a run at him.

But, yes...anyone with decent hand/eye coordination...(and willing to practice) can learn to rope well enough to do stock work.

[Linked Image]

Yep! The first time attempting to rope a calf from a horse, I almost went over the front of horse when I missed as the horse almost came to a complete stop when I threw the rope. Anyway, I was able to catch the calf on the second try. Tell you what, those calves are fast...

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/06/20 05:19 AM

[quote=Ratherbefishing]

Yep! The first time attempting to rope a calf from a horse, I almost went over the front of horse when I missed as the horse almost came to a complete stop when I threw the rope. Anyway, I was able to catch the calf on the second try. Tell you what, those calves are fast...[/quote]

^^^^^

Yep.

Calf roping in a pen..they are generally pretty reliable...but out in a big open pasture on a cool morning when they are feeling good, can be whole 'nother story.

When they really want to run...and throw that tail up over their backs (in a 9) you'd do well to have a Quarter horse with a good amount of Thoroughbred in him in.

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/06/20 05:29 AM

[quote=Ratherbefishing]

Yep! The first time attempting to rope a calf from a horse, I almost went over the front of horse when I missed as the horse almost came to a complete stop when I threw the rope. Anyway, I was able to catch the calf on the second try. Tell you what, those calves are fast...[/quote]

^^^^^

Yep.

Calf roping in a pen..they are generally pretty reliable...but out in a big open pasture on a cool morning when they are feeling good, can be whole 'nother story.

When they really want to run...and throw that tail up over their backs (in a 9) you'd do well to have a Quarter horse with a good amount of Thoroughbred in him in.

This has brought back memories from back around 1975. Thanks Flintknapper!
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/08/20 04:54 PM

That is awesome. I grew in Oklahoma and we roped most every Thursday evening. Back when I was in college we had hogs show up for the first time. They were rooting in our family hay and peanut fields. We got the bright idea to rope and stretch one out. I roped the first and only one. It was in tight quarters and my dad could not get a rope on the back legs. Long story short the hog ended up under my horse, which promptly came unspooled. Somehow I managed to stay on the horse but I gave the hog my rope. My dad just sat there and laughed his a$$ off. After that we just shot them.
Posted By: LG

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/08/20 09:46 PM

cheers

Re: Heading and Heeling hogs. - 01/09/20 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
That is awesome. I grew in Oklahoma and we roped most every Thursday evening. Back when I was in college we had hogs show up for the first time. They were rooting in our family hay and peanut fields. We got the bright idea to rope and stretch one out. I roped the first and only one. It was in tight quarters and my dad could not get a rope on the back legs. Long story short the hog ended up under my horse, which promptly came unspooled. Somehow I managed to stay on the horse but I gave the hog my rope. My dad just sat there and laughed his a$$ off. After that we just shot them.

Hah...that could have turned into a real wreck if you'd been tied off hard and fast. I generally would dally...but certain places (pine thickets and wild cows) we would always tie off. You'd normally get one shot at them and if you missed your dally...you'd lose the cow AND your rope.

But I had my horse pulled down trying to separate a couple of calves from about 12 head of Cows in a small wooden working pen one time because I didn't take the time to untie. Missed my calf with a houlihan and managed to rope the top of one of the railroad ties of the pen and before I could shake it off...the cows started milling. Nowhere to go to get any slack. Pulled me and the horse down. I stepped off right at the end of it all...but it buggered my horse pretty good for a few months.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum