Texas Hunting Forum

Otter removal anyone?

Posted By: Jiggamitch

Otter removal anyone? - 12/16/19 05:28 PM

So I did post in the trapping forums, but figured I'd go ahead and post here too. Game warden asked if I knew anyone who could relocate some otters without harming them. Any suggestions? North Texas lake Texoma area. Thanks y'all.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/16/19 05:45 PM

Wondering why the otters need to be gone? Eating your fish or something? They usually don't cause problems.
Trapping them takes some skills .
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/16/19 05:53 PM

Seems like you could relocate them only to have them replaced in short order by some more, like trapping mosquitos. Good luck, it's always tough when critters become a nuisance.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/16/19 07:07 PM

Man that sounds like fun but way to far north for me.

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/16/19 10:45 PM

The game warden is willing to relocate them to a wildlife refuge. Not sure why they need to be removed from where they are currently located.
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/16/19 11:16 PM

They will put a hurt on the fish population!!!!
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/17/19 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Black Duck Dog

This, big time!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/17/19 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by retfuz
Originally Posted by Black Duck Dog

This, big time!

X3
Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/17/19 02:02 PM

I trapped them for Indiana and North Carolina to be relocated it was a pain had to use padded traps which they could pull out of if not caught just right they are very strong. Had to check traps every 12 hours so to minimize foot damage. Then had to use a dog snare to get them out and put in a cage made from hog panels. Other then badgers by far one of the means and strongest animals I messed with. Still was a lot of fun got paid 100 each that survived 2 weeks to be released else where

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/17/19 04:43 PM

That sounds like a pain
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/17/19 05:13 PM

If they are a problem why not just trap or shoot them vs making them someone else’s problem?
Posted By: don k

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/17/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
If they are a problem why not just trap or shoot them vs making them someone else’s problem?

That was what I was wondering. Sometimes if you have a problem solve it yourself.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/17/19 07:10 PM

Probably some hippie reaching out to the game warden for help.

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/18/19 12:27 AM

Otters are cute, so I understand why people don't want to harm them. I personally wouldn't kill them on purpose. I don't like killing bobcats either, but when they are killing the chickens, they gotta go.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Otter removal anyone? - 12/18/19 03:34 AM

Start shooting at them. Even if you don’t kill them they will leave. We had them show up on our farm in East Texas. They quickly vacated when bullets started flying.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum