Texas Hunting Forum

Done For This Season

Posted By: Ftttu

Done For This Season - 12/12/19 06:10 PM

Sad to say, but it is over for me until next year. I was unsuccessful in taking a deer this season - my first season for about 30 years. If it wasn’t for that over 400 mile round trip to the national forest and back, I’d be back out there. At least I had a great time catching up on what I’d been missing for so long.

I’ll tell you, that antler restriction is just mean. I know it serves the positive purposes for game management, but it has kept me from taking bucks on 3 of my 4 trips this season. I saw ‘Mr Big’ again yesterday, but he presented me only with a neck shot opportunity as he was trekking straight through the forest. About a minute later, a fork horn came following behind with another buck behind him a couple minutes later. It was a buck train with no does seen the entire day.

I scoped all three deer, but that last two stopped briefly enough for good broadside shots at about 60-65 yards. That last one never gave me a view of his antlers to allow me to determine AR or not. Again, I know positive results will follow with this management restriction, but it is just so unnatural to me not pulling the trigger.

Also, I’m happy Mr. Big is still out there, and I hope he makes it to next year so he can torment me again next year. Also, I was really hoping for some venison this year, but I can only look to next year with hopes of more opportunities with drawn hunts and/or a lease. At least I’m back!
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Done For This Season - 12/12/19 06:20 PM

There are many racks of all different sizes that are trophies to all ages of hunters. I’ve seen deer that I would call “deformed” that are high, long tined, great deer—but they will never be outside their ears. Or they might make it the last two years of their life.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Done For This Season - 12/12/19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ftttu
Sad to say, but it is over for me until next year. I was unsuccessful in taking a deer this season - my first season for about 30 years. If it wasn’t for that over 400 mile round trip to the national forest and back, I’d be back out there. At least I had a great time catching up on what I’d been missing for so long.

I’ll tell you, that antler restriction is just mean. I know it serves the positive purposes for game management, but it has kept me from taking bucks on 3 of my 4 trips this season. I saw ‘Mr Big’ again yesterday, but he presented me only with a neck shot opportunity as he was trekking straight through the forest. About a minute later, a fork horn came following behind with another buck behind him a couple minutes later. It was a buck train with no does seen the entire day.

I scoped all three deer, but that last two stopped briefly enough for good broadside shots at about 60-65 yards. That last one never gave me a view of his antlers to allow me to determine AR or not. Again, I know positive results will follow with this management restriction, but it is just so unnatural to me not pulling the trigger.

Also, I’m happy Mr. Big is still out there, and I hope he makes it to next year so he can torment me again next year. Also, I was really hoping for some venison this year, but I can only look to next year with hopes of more opportunities with drawn hunts and/or a lease. At least I’m back!

There are numerous public opportunities around you that are much closer and higher success rates.......you should inquire in the public hunting section....
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Done For This Season - 12/12/19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

There are numerous public opportunities around you that are much closer and higher success rates.......you should inquire in the public hunting section....

This. Man, at least you got out there and hunted. That's worth something.
Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

Re: Done For This Season - 12/12/19 09:39 PM

At least you got out there and had some fun, that's what it's mostly about anyways right? What NF were you hunting in, Sam Houston?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Done For This Season - 12/12/19 11:56 PM

There is very limited public hunting around here unless you draw for it.

If your a bow hunter then you can go to Amistad or put in for the deer population control hunts around the lake.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Done For This Season - 12/14/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

There is very limited public hunting around here unless you draw for it.

If your a bow hunter then you can go to Amistad or put in for the deer population control hunts around the lake.

I know and it’s still pubic hunting isn’t it? Los of WMA and State Parks to put in to draw for.
Posted By: Ftttu

Re: Done For This Season - 12/14/19 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Binary
At least you got out there and had some fun, that's what it's mostly about anyways right? What NF were you hunting in, Sam Houston?

Thanks for the replies. And yes, I was in the Sam Houston NF northeast of New Waverly.

Yep, I will put in for several drawings for this next year for public land hunts. Also, I called my sister for her birthday today, and she just happened to be with her off again/on again boyfriend who is a boat salesman/hunting and fishing guide. He says he'll try to get me on a lease in the Matagorda area this next year. Prospects are already looking good for next year.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Done For This Season - 12/14/19 01:09 PM

For the price of fuel of your trip or less, doe hunts are available with a high probability of success. Watch the hunt outfitter section.

Sounds like the antler restrictions worked precisely as intended to protect young animals until they wise up into wily older bucks.

If we never came home empty handed, it would just be shooting rather than hunting.

Season is still open.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Done For This Season - 12/15/19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbird
.............................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................

If we never came home empty handed, it would just be shooting rather than hunting.

Yes, Sir. A point too often forgotten.

Marc
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum